follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2016, 04:17 PM   #1
Karl07

Drives: 2012 86 GTS - Storm Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Odd CELS.

Hi,

Lately I've had some interesting lights pop up. Thought you might have some insight into them.
Unfortunately I don't remember the exact codes but I'll try and describe as much as I can. Otherwise I SHOULD be able to check the history.

I have a July '12 86 GTS auto.
No driveline modifications. I do have AP Racing BBK (why I mention will be evident)
Read using a Joying headunit running torque, via A OBDLINK SX obd2 usb adapter.

The first cel I got never actually threw a code. The abs, and traction control lights came on and cruise control stopped working. I figured it was because I was being an idiot annoying my wife and basically just quickly pumping the brakes at a traffic light to make the car start moving then stopped constantly (btw to all you holier than thou asses out there, there was Noone else around and we weren't moving. Just bouncing). Kind of hard to explain exactly.
I fixed it by turning the car off for 10 seconds and staying back up.

But only a few days later, while driving normally, it came on but at the same time as a CEL. This time I could not clear via restart.

I loaded up torque and it gave me two codes. Seemed like essentially the same code description but were in different colors. I think it was one yellow/orange and one red.

Basically was saying that there was bad communication in the car. I know that is extremely vague...but I forgot to ask while it was fresh in my head.

I cleared the codes, restated the car and all was good again and since I have driven the car a fair bit and in different ways and it hasn't come back....yet.

Any possible thoughts?
Karl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:22 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,821 Times in 16,427 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl07 View Post
Hi,

Any possible thoughts?
Don't piss your wife off.

Most likely she wiggled her nose and fixed your car.

....... just don't do that no more!

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (10-08-2016), Karl07 (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
Karl07

Drives: 2012 86 GTS - Storm Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Yes well I definitely got the whole "serves you right" off the wife...now in just making sure it was just my wife complaining and not the car for any serious reason.
Karl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Here are your clues:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl07 View Post
Read using a Joying headunit running torque, via A OBDLINK SX obd2 usb adapter.

The abs, and traction control lights came on and cruise control stopped working.

Basically was saying that there was bad communication in the car.
I'd almost be willing to bet money the code was U0073. If so, Torque is the culprit. It's a known issue.

If you shut the car off while Torque is running and then start it back up with Torque still running on your device, the ECM will often throw a U0073 communications error code. It's not expecting to see Torque there talking to it when it boots up and thinks something has gone wrong. U0073 puts the car into protective mode, killing your cruise control and air conditioning, lighting up the traction light and causing the engine to be sluggish. If you drive it with the code showing, the car will continue to be sluggish for several on/off cycles, even after you clear the code, but it goes back to normal after a day or two. If this is what's happening, it's no big deal, and you're not doing any damage to the car.

The remedy is to make sure Torque is OFF before you start the car. The easiest way to turn Torque completely off is to hit the "back" button on your device repeatedly until you get a dialog box asking if you want to exit Torque, then click the "Yes" button.

I run Torque full time, but after experiencing this several times I have made it part of my normal shut down procedure to make sure Torque is off when I shut off the car. I even tried to set Tasker up on my tablet to kill Torque when the car was shut off, but in the end it was just easier to do it manually.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Karl07 (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #5
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
↑ what he said, Torque pro causes the ECU communication issue and U0073 CEL. The workaround is to shut down Torque Pro before you turn the car off. You can safely clear that code.

The non-CEL TC/ABS and cruise stopping may be caused by an engine misfire. If that happens a lot, get it checked out.

Sometimes I bounce my car on the brakes to the rhythm of the music at a stop light when I drive a slushbox. Annoying the old trouble 'n strife FTW!
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote