follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Drives: Lexus IS-F Series 2
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,246 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Arrow AEM WATER METH METHANOL INJECTION KIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AEM-30-3000-...efb1d4&vxp=mtr
Old 04-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
RehabJeff86

Drives: 2013 WhiteOut FR-S
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Very interesting!

2013 Scion FR-S whiteout
2012 Porsche Panamera S carbon grey
2008 Range Rover Sport SS black - sold
2004 BMW M3 alpine wies - sold
RehabJeff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If you want meth injection spend the extra coin and get a better kit like the aquamist HFS-4.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
jimbobrand

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Or Devils Own:
http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/

Chance, who owns the company is a really good guy and knows his stuff.
TXIC San Antonio
jimbobrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
Tansey86

Drives: 2003 Subaru Outback
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Anyone with first hand experience of methanol injection care to chime in with some of the cons? I hear it eats away at some parts of the system etc.

If you have e85 readily available is it a better option than MI?
Old 04-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
It's a universal kit, I wonder if it works with Ecutek considering we ran it on my brothers STI to make up for the crappy 91 octane and manged to go with some high psi
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
d1ck

Drives: Black 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have a buddy with a DSM who runs 20ish psi on pump gas, and can safely run 30 psi on meth injection. With the huge gain we're seeing with E85 I would expect only slightly lower gains with meth injection. I've been playing with the idea of getting the aquamist kit but at roughly 1k CAD it's a bit pricey.
d1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #8
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tansey86 View Post
Anyone with first hand experience of methanol injection care to chime in with some of the cons? I hear it eats away at some parts of the system etc.

If you have e85 readily available is it a better option than MI?
There are lots of dangers with meth injection.. too many to go into detail. Essentially though.. meth injection acts as a secondary fuel system that supplies additional charge cooling and octane boost.

If you are tuned for a fully functional meth system with a good size nozzle and the meth fails... your octane drops quickly and serious detonation can occur before you have time to get your foot off the gas.

Fail safes are the name of the game. You need a system that will drop timing or boost the instant a failure is detected, if you want to keep your motor in one piece.

There are many modes of failure including pump starvation, supply line failure, pump failure, nozzle clog, etc.

Beyond that there are lots of talking points like atomization, post spray drip, fixed percentage (meth to fuel with idc tracking) vs varying (spray a constant volume across the rpm range, gives higher meth to fuel at lower revs), 100% meth or meth water mix, meth water mix ratio, fire hazards, vapor hazards, storage tank design etc etc etc.

There is a reason the aquamist systems cost 2 to 3 times more than AEM, it is because they are the best of the best. There are other good manufacturers for sure but i have not kept up with any of the links in a long while so the top competitors (quality and feature wise) to aquamist are slipping my mind at the moment..... I think Labonte had the best alternative to aquamist (not sure if they are still around).

Last edited by mad_sb; 04-13-2013 at 08:59 PM.
mad_sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
AZFA20
Automotive Connoisseur

Drives: too many cars
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Garage
Been using all the brands out there for years on my cars and actually have one of the 1st generation AEM systems on one of my personal cars with ZERO issues to date (over 4 years). Too many people are spooked by meth and what could potentially go wrong if a meth injection malfunction were to happen. This is the case with anything. If a fuel pump fails the same danger exists but no reason to be scared to use one right? If properly monitored and safety nets put into place it is no more dangerous using it than anything else. I am a huge advocate of water/meth and have been since I first stepped into forced induction. Mostly by force since I have lived in the pacific southwest for nearly 15 years which isn't exactly the best place for good pump fuel. Methanol is readily available and costs me $1/gallon. It has far more pros than cons. As far as it eating anything vital in the engine...... not so much. If anything every engine I have pulled apart that has consistently used meth looks beautiful inside. Nothing wrong with AEM imo although they are one of the newer players in the meth game. Without naming any brands I have had the best of the best fail with meth injection modules but just as any electronics out there is can fail so I place no blame on any one particular brand. Coolingmist has been around forever but not the only good option based on cost.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #10
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,548 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Used to be a skeptic but 3 years of it on the MX-5 and the failsafe is the key here--even if you don't map switch with it, it will tell you to lay off the throttle. None of this is needed for normally aspirated but my turbo MX-5 loves the kit.
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #11
ATSAaron

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
If you want meth injection spend the extra coin and get a better kit like the aquamist HFS-4.
Yep. The AEM controller boxes are very failure prone.

It's possible that ECUTek could activate it it using custom maps and the vapor canister purge solenoid/output.

I might also be possible to repurpose the vapor canister pressure sensor not a failsafe pressure sensor on the meth injection line.

Aaron
ATSAaron is offline   Reply With Quote