follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2020, 05:45 PM   #15
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Guys, I have issues with Pixel 4: Android auto, wired and wireless, works fine, but Display Mirroring works just wired; I don't have the mirroring option in device bluetooth settings, just handsfree and ad2p.
Any hint?
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:50 PM   #16
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,292 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
Guys, I have issues with Pixel 4: Android auto, wired and wireless, works fine, but Display Mirroring works just wired; I don't have the mirroring option in device bluetooth settings, just handsfree and ad2p.
Any hint?
I vaguely remember that "Display Mirroring" requires the phone to support a certain protocol that most Android phones don't support.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:56 PM   #17
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Any hint?
IIRC Screen Mirroring is not done via Bluetooth but through casting. To mirror to car systems, all the documentation I'm finding says to plug it in via USB.

You could probably get around this by hooking up a Chromecast to the HDMI input, and mirroring to that device.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel..._incapability/

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/dev...able%20devices.

https://support.google.com/chromecas...17945559?hl=en
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:34 AM   #18
gpvecchi

DDX920WDABS has wireless mirroring, but it doesn't have an HDMI port...
Old 06-05-2020, 12:05 PM   #19
sharpsicle

Quote:
DDX920WDABS has wireless mirroring, but it doesn't have an HDMI port...
Read the support articles I linked. Pixel 4 looks for Cast devices for mirroring. Just because the headunit claims to be wireless mirror capable doesn't mean the phone works with it.

The Kenwood's spec sheet even says
Quote:
Wireless Mirroring for Android
Wireless Mirroring is a groundbreaking solution for seamlessly displaying and controlling your smartphone apps on a 9 series screen without cables or a network connection on selected Android devices.

Last edited by sharpsicle; 06-05-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:09 AM   #20
gpvecchi

I read it, this doesn't help, they are just general infos took from manuals. As wireless Android auto works, cast had to work too.
For those who own this unit, wireless AP has different name for Android Auto and Mirroring, do you agree? I can't access to the one for casting, it says wrong password...
Old 06-06-2020, 10:45 AM   #21
sharpsicle

Quote:
I read it, this doesn't help, they are just general infos took from manuals. As wireless Android auto works, cast had to work too.
What those should be telling you is that Android Auto is a different protocol from Screen Mirroring. They don't operate the same way, and the Pixel phones do not support the protocol type that allows them to screen mirror to all capable devices. Timurrr was pretty spot-on with his reply earlier as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
I vaguely remember that "Display Mirroring" requires the phone to support a certain protocol that most Android phones don't support.
Phones like LG and Samsung have shown fewer compatibility issues with screen mirroring than the Pixel line. Why? Well the idea behind this is Google dropping Miracast support on their hardware. What this means for the end user on Pixel phones is that if it's not a true Google Cast device that you're trying to mirror to, it probably isn't going to work. This is why many posts across the web suggest using a Chromecast on an HDMI port to get around the issue, and why Google's own support staff in one of those links (basically) says it's Chromecast or bust with the Pixel line. The Kenwood unit isn't a Google device, so likely it's using a variant of the Miracast protocol, not Google Cast. You need that type of connection for Pixel to work with it. Unfortunately like you said, this headunit doesn't have an HDMI input, so adding a Chromecast with a local hotspot isn't an option here.

Android Auto isn't a cast protocol, it's independent of that. This is because Android Auto is run through a specific Google app that allows the communication to work. Mirroring doesn't. Because of this, they can ensure Android Auto works across virtually any device. They have much better control over the connection and protocols, which means a stable, uniform experience across virtually any device. That's the true selling point of it, and where the bulk of Google's development and support sits. Screen mirroring is significantly less important to them, and as such is just a root system service that doesn't get much attention, and is limited.

From a personal perspective, I as the driver of the car can't see why I'd want my phone to wirelessly mirror to a headunit automatically at startup. Passenger, ok perhaps. But 9 times out of 10 I want the optimized Android Auto interface to be the one booting up over wireless. If someone in the passenger seat needs to do more, they can just plug in and off they go. I personally don't tailor my car to the experience of the passengers, I tailor it to mine as the driver. They can deal with those things. Having said all that, if there's a specific thing or app you want to be able to do that Android Auto doesn't do for you, there could be workarounds tailored to that specifically.

I am genuinely trying to help here. I hope I'm not coming across rudely in all this. As with all tech, things could change, but as of now this is a common question for Pixel users, and it always seems to have the same answer: Chromecast.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sharpsicle For This Useful Post:
gpvecchi (06-07-2020), Plumbus (07-14-2020), Tcoat (06-10-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 03:21 AM   #22
timurrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsicle View Post
From a personal perspective, I as the driver of the car can't see why I'd want my phone to wirelessly mirror to a headunit automatically at startup.
Until Harry's Lap Timer and/or RaceChrono have proper Android Auto support, it would be cool to be able to cast the screen of a native app on the head unit at the track. Alas, we're not there either...
The Following User Says Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
gpvecchi (06-09-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #23
e30cabrio

Drives: 2017 86
I just ordered the DDX919WS from Malaysia. Could not find anyone that would sell me the 920.

Anyone find a DVD region hack?

Found this, it's for home units but maybe?

http://www.dvddemystifiziert.de/code...n/kenwood.html
e30cabrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:53 AM   #24
e30cabrio

Looking at videos about the DDX919 it seems the connector we use for XM radios is different and in one the Australian guy says they don't use it. I have a Kenwood DVD/NAV/media museum in my garage (5 units going back 10 years) So I disassembled the oldest (DNX891HD) & the first thing I see is it's optical drive which is the solution to the DVD region issue (the one I got is 3)

If this fits, I'm done, even if it doesn't I can get an optical drive from a current US unit that I'm sure will work.

Unfortunately, the XM socket is soldered on the PCB on the 891 so that's a no go BUT I found a 64gb Sony sd card I forgot abut that's been in there forever so that's cool!

​​​​​​​
Attached Images

Last edited by e30cabrio; 06-20-2020 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #25
e30cabrio

My 919 came yesterday, I tried to flash the Maestro and it does not have the model & won't accept the serial number in a similar 2019 US Kenwood.

Per iDatalink it's not compatible with Kenwood DDX919WS

Carbon in Australia makes a harness and will sell it.

How did you guys integrate it to your cars?
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2020, 03:53 PM   #26
timurrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30cabrio View Post
How did you guys integrate it to your cars?
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3264936
The Following User Says Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
e30cabrio (06-23-2020)