follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: Which one would you rather?
Nissan Z 89 69.53%
Toyota Supra 39 30.47%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 10:00 PM   #379
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Personal choice, but I don't do Apple and unless you are traveling at 150MPH not sure what difference map speed makes in a car.
Im talking about loading a map and location. Turn by turn is better. Maps are more accurate. The biggest thing is speed of entering a location and getting the directions started. The refresh rate isn’t an issue, but it can be.
Dadhawk (09-08-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 10:23 PM   #380
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Do you guys think this will force Bimyota's hand for a manual Zupra?
Old 09-08-2020, 12:08 AM   #381
dpfarr

Drives: BRZ ts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Im talking about loading a map and location. Turn by turn is better. Maps are more accurate. The biggest thing is speed of entering a location and getting the directions started. The refresh rate isn’t an issue, but it can be.
I love using the Apple play turn by turn in mountains I’m unfamiliar with. Makes for more fun.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:45 AM   #382
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
Oh are you still N/A as well?
Yes, but I originally had planned to install a supercharger. Just decided there were better things to spend the money on than my car.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (09-08-2020), p1l0t (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 07:49 AM   #383
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
The sad truth is the Zupra precedent might lead to an auto only Z car. I'm pretty sure the VR30DDTT doesn't have a manual option anywhere in the lineup (the Q50 does have a manual, but only with the diesel).
Old 09-08-2020, 11:23 AM   #384
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
No. The two cars aren’t direct competitors. The Z is a competitor to the pony cars. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
The sad truth is the Zupra precedent might lead to an auto only Z car. I'm pretty sure the VR30DDTT doesn't have a manual option anywhere in the lineup (the Q50 does have a manual, but only with the diesel).
I don’t think the Supra set a precedence. It was set long before the Supra. Almost all luxury cars are exclusively automatics, and this includes most high end super cars. The fact that BMW is an exception, yet the Supra didn’t come with a manual option is more than enough evidence to me that they have no interest in including a manual option. Maybe it’ll happen on the M Supra or something, but the ZF8 transmission is so good that I doubt they would have an option for a manual transmission that is equally as premium.
Ohio Enthusiast (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 12:24 PM   #385
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
I'm boycotting buying cars that are AT unless they drive themselves and the manufacturer is liable not me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (09-08-2020), vh_supra26 (09-08-2020), WildCard600 (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 01:07 PM   #386
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Quote:
No. The two cars aren’t direct competitors. The Z is a competitor to the pony cars. See below.

I don’t think the Supra set a precedence. It was set long before the Supra. Almost all luxury cars are exclusively automatics, and this includes most high end super cars. The fact that BMW is an exception, yet the Supra didn’t come with a manual option is more than enough evidence to me that they have no interest in including a manual option. Maybe it’ll happen on the M Supra or something, but the ZF8 transmission is so good that I doubt they would have an option for a manual transmission that is equally as premium.
Why not? Rumored same power, roughly same price point, two seater, and both even have a 3.0 turbo. Even if we were to use you're odd luxury POV, one is based on a luxury BMW and the other a luxury Q60. Regardless of how one defines a said product; that won't keep people from cross shopping.
The Following User Says Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
Rampage (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 01:08 PM   #387
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
I'm boycotting buying cars that are AT unless they drive themselves and the manufacturer is liable not me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I’ll likely drive for my primary car a manual until I physically can’t or until it is illegal.

Manufacturers will be liable when there is no steering wheel or pedals. Either that, or until they develop a system of driver monitoring where the computer knows if the driver made any vehicle inputs or not. In my lifetime (I’m 38) the majority of vehicles will likely be passenger vehicles that don’t have pedals or steering wheels and where the rear seats are the primary executive seats and the front seats are smaller and for friends, assuming people own cars. Many vehicles are probably going to be taxis that are box shaped with swivel seats like the rear of mini vans.
p1l0t (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #388
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Why not? Rumored same power, roughly same price point, two seater, and both even have a 3.0 turbo. Even if we were to use you're odd luxury POV, one is based on a luxury BMW and the other a luxury Q60. Regardless of hoe one defines a said product; that won't keep people from cross shopping.
I have heard everything, and it could be anything. I’m thinking the car will be closer to the current entry price of the 370Z with 300-350hp. The entry price of the Q50 is $36k, so I think they can undercut that. The VR engine is going to replace the VQ, which is shared across a number of Infinitis and Nissans. Just because it is also in Infiniti models doesn’t mean Nissan will elevate the build quality to that of the Infiniti line. What they are more likely to do is cheap out on the car’s interior, body and features, but offer a decent powertrain like the Mustang or other pony cars. Edit: Another way to look at it is the VQ35/37 engine was shared with the G35/37, but that didn’t stop them from keeping the price around $30k.

People can cross shop a BRZ with a Corvette if they want, but that doesn’t mean the Corvette is influenced by the fact that the 86 has a manual, nor would they benchmark the performance or features with the 86. Similarly, people can cross shop the Supra with the Z, but that doesn’t mean Toyota will be motivated to add a manual to the Supra just because the Z has a manual.

Last edited by Irace86.2.0; 09-08-2020 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Added another perspective.
The Following User Says Thank You to Irace86.2.0 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 02:20 PM   #389
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Quote:
I have heard everything, and it could be anything. I’m thinking the car will be closer to the current entry price of the 370Z with 300-350hp. The entry price of the Q50 is $36k, so I think they can undercut that. The VR engine is going to replace the VQ, which is shared across a number of Infinitis and Nissans. Just because it is also in Infiniti models doesn’t mean Nissan will elevate the build quality to that of the Infiniti line. What they are more likely to do is cheap out on the car’s interior, body and features, but offer a decent powertrain like the Mustang or other pony cars.

People can cross shop a BRZ with a Corvette if they want, but that doesn’t mean the Corvette is influenced by the fact that the 86 has a manual, nor would they benchmark the performance or features with the 86. Similarly, people can cross shop the Supra with the Z, but that doesn’t mean Toyota will be motivated to add a manual to the Supra just because the Z has a manual.
So maybe you should have waited before saying they weren't going to be direct competitors? It could be anything as you said. Inside man on sister forum said closer to $50k and fake news is saying around $40k. If either are true it wouldn't be that far off from the Zupra. I had no idea that the VR was shared with other vehicles. So why are we using Q50's pricing and not the ones from the Q60? In that case why isn't the Q60 also priced at $36.6k instead of $41k? Not according to an interview that was done by one of Nissan's officials. Paraphrasing here, but he said the next Z won't be going down market to compete with the 86, but instead will be going upmarket. I believe to better compete with cars like Zupra and others from Europe.

LAMO, I can almost guarantee hardly anyone is crossing a between 86 and Vette. Unless you have been living under a rock pretty much all online platforms are pitting the Zupra to the upcoming Z. Yeah you're right, just because Nissan offers a manual doesn't mean Toyota will. IMO, in not doing so they will be giving up more ground or a larger piece of the pie over to Nissan.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:14 PM   #390
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
as i said before, maybe both are true? a 300hp version for a mid $35k price range and a 400hp high performance version topping out at $40k+.
The Following User Says Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
vh_supra26 (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 04:12 PM   #391
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
So maybe you should have waited before saying they weren't going to be direct competitors? It could be anything as you said. Inside man on sister forum said closer to $50k and fake news is saying around $40k. If either are true it wouldn't be that far off from the Zupra. I had no idea that the VR was shared with other vehicles. So why are we using Q50's pricing and not the ones from the Q60? In that case why isn't the Q60 also priced at $36.6k instead of $41k? Not according to an interview that was done by one of Nissan's officials. Paraphrasing here, but he said the next Z won't be going down market to compete with the 86, but instead will be going upmarket. I believe to better compete with cars like Zupra and others from Europe.

LAMO, I can almost guarantee hardly anyone is crossing a between 86 and Vette. Unless you have been living under a rock pretty much all online platforms are pitting the Zupra to the upcoming Z. Yeah you're right, just because Nissan offers a manual doesn't mean Toyota will. IMO, in not doing so they will be giving up more ground or a larger piece of the pie over to Nissan.
I could have not said they were direct competitors just like others could have not said or implied they were direct competitors. It’s just my opinion like it was theirs. There is no need to qualify every sentence with “I believe”.

As the VQ gets phased out, the VR will take its place. As I mentioned in my edit, the VQ35/37 is shared across the G35/37, as well as, the 350/370Z, among other Nissans and Infinitis, which didn’t change the fact that the Z was close to $30k.

The Q50/60/G35/37/Z cars are all built on the same modular platform. The reason why I used the Q50 is because the price demonstrates how cheap a luxury sedan can be with that engine, which gives context to why the Z doesn’t necessarily need to be more expensive. The reason the Q60 is more expensive than the Q50 is similar to why the 4-series is more expensive than BMW’s 3-series is similar to why the A5 is more expensive than Audi’s A4, which is probably because of supply and demand, and sometimes the coupes also receive special features or come much more well-equipped than the base version of the sedans.

I didn’t think the Z would go down market where it would start at $25k. I think if it slightly undercuts the Mustang, STI, CTR and starts around $30-32k then that would be perfect.

The Supra and Z will always be compared because of their history, but it is reasonable to think that if the cars are similarly classed in price, quality and performance then a manual transmission could make a difference. Regardless, I doubt Toyota would add a manual in spite of the Z. It could happen.
vh_supra26 (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 04:49 PM   #392
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Quote:
I could have not said they were direct competitors just like others could have not said or implied they were direct competitors. It’s just my opinion like it was theirs. There is no need to qualify every sentence with “I believe”.

As the VQ gets phased out, the VR will take its place. As I mentioned in my edit, the VQ35/37 is shared across the G35/37, as well as, the 350/370Z, among other Nissans and Infinitis, which didn’t change the fact that the Z was close to $30k.

The Q50/60/G35/37/Z cars are all built on the same modular platform. The reason why I used the Q50 is because the price demonstrates how cheap a luxury sedan can be with that engine, which gives context to why the Z doesn’t necessarily need to be more expensive. The reason the Q60 is more expensive than the Q50 is similar to why the 4-series is more expensive than BMW’s 3-series is similar to why the A5 is more expensive than Audi’s A4, which is probably because of supply and demand, and sometimes the coupes also receive special features or come much more well-equipped than the base version of the sedans.

I didn’t think the Z would go down market where it would start at $25k. I think if it slightly undercuts the Mustang, STI, CTR and starts around $30-32k then that would be perfect.

The Supra and Z will always be compared because of their history, but it is reasonable to think that if the cars are similarly classed in price, quality and performance then a manual transmission could make a difference. Regardless, I doubt Toyota would add a manual in spite of the Z. It could happen.
I did not, I just asked a simple question of how a hypothetical manual 400Z will have any effects on the Zupra. (Because people are most likely going to cross shop.)

You keep using this $30k price point, but we both know that pricing of the Z has fluctuated from year to year, as with most cars. The highest starting price point for the 370z was $33k. Facts are pricing changes and are not set in stone. Also just because XX model was priced as such does not mean it's successor will be as well. Nissan is bleeding cash they need to milk this new Z for what they can. Nissan is also trying shed their cheap rental image.

Just to clarify I never discounted your idea of a new Z model not straying too far from the current model's $30k price tag. As noted by gymratter this car could come in two different tunes / packaging. I have just been referring the rumored $40k 400hp version. I think we were reading the same book, but were on different pages.

It could be because of supply and demand and or because they don't sell as much so they need to make it up the differences with a higher price tag to recoup R&D cost.

Agree, that's why I said the 400z and Zupra will most likely be one of the most cross shopped vehicles when it comes to market. Dearly noted.
The Following User Says Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (09-08-2020)

Closed Thread