follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Scion FR-S and Toyota 86

User Tag List

Old 05-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #43
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
LOL... I love all the reviews on any car forum by guys who know more about aerodynamics than car manufacturers or race teams.

There was an article I read some years ago, in either Car & Driver or Top Gear (can't remember which; used to read both) about the Mitsubishi Evolution RS. The reviewer started off the article by apologizing that he'd secretly hated the giant wings on both the Evo and the STi, and thought they existed solely to appeal to a childish boy-racer demographic. But he said after driving the wingless version of the car, he'd come to understand that the spoiler on the standard Evo actually did have a noticeable effect on the car's handling. He said he was blown away by how unsettled the car felt (in comparison to the standard model) in not just high speed turns, but even lower speed curves too.

That's the article I think of every time I start reading the "dis car don't got enough HP for a big spoiler" posts. Guys, remember... horsepower and speed are two entirely different things, and you would be surprised at how much effect a proper spoiler can have on a car even at low speeds.

If you don't like or don't want a big, goofy spoiler for aesthetic reasons, I very much respect that opinion. You think the trade-off in weight vs. downforce (vs. style) isn't worth it... sure, valid argument. But just don't say that it has no effect at all on the car's handling, okay?
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TuxedoCartman For This Useful Post:
Quentin (05-23-2012), Slartibartfast (05-23-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 05:04 AM   #44
lpnnlp
Banned

Drives: whatever
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
Did someone gouge your eyes out and replace the holes in the socket with meatloaf? Granted they aren't the hottest girls in the world, but fugly? Really?
You are right, it was my meatloaf doing the writing...

Last edited by lpnnlp; 05-14-2012 at 05:23 AM.
lpnnlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #45
AX_FRS

Drives: 05 Ford Focus ZX4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Don't really like the rear bumper and the wing is excessive. The front and side skirts though are a nice touch.
AX_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #46
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Yeah, way overdone and ricey as hell. I've yet to see a wing that I truly love on the car.

Justin
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
Exhaust (05-23-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #47
StuttterButtter
Yes i have a stutter

Drives: 94 Acura Integra
Not liking this kit much not bad just not for me. Im still liking the 5axis the best i like the TRD kit but who knows when that ill be out in the US.
StuttterButtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #48
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Man... I wish those girls would get out of the way.
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #49
ROJ

Drives: Getting the 86 or BRZ someday
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by peazs View Post
Did someone step on the seat?.... lol
I didn't pay attention to that.. lol..

The car was a bit ricey with that areo-kit & spoiler.. A representative from the local dealer started asking us enthusiasts questions about what we like and not like about the car and we told them we would love a base manual model.. We dont care about the aero-kit..

The tiny exhaust tips are because this is a pre-production model.

Last edited by ROJ; 05-14-2012 at 03:40 PM.
ROJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #50
jedichimp
OG <FR-S'less> Member

Drives: yes
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYU View Post
Man... I wish those girls would get out of the way.
x2, taking away from the car. Not that I'm really a fan of the kit necessarily but those girls

I'll take a TRD Japan + 5:AD combo

panda cheez

Last edited by jedichimp; 05-14-2012 at 07:32 PM.
jedichimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #51
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Uggh on that chrome trim. I'm still not feeling that rear wing... too rice-tastic!
Old 05-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #52
neobeavis

Drives: Scion FRS Manual W since 5/25/12!!
I talked to Nur Spec and they say this is not theirs. They said they are a distributor for different aero kits but have no knowledge of this one. Can anyone tell me who actually manufactures this wing/spoiler. Its been at a lot of different Toyota/Scion demos.....somebody should know who actually makes it???
neobeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #53
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoCartman View Post
LOL... I love all the reviews on any car forum by guys who know more about aerodynamics than car manufacturers or race teams.

There was an article I read some years ago, in either Car & Driver or Top Gear (can't remember which; used to read both) about the Mitsubishi Evolution RS. The reviewer started off the article by apologizing that he'd secretly hated the giant wings on both the Evo and the STi, and thought they existed solely to appeal to a childish boy-racer demographic. But he said after driving the wingless version of the car, he'd come to understand that the spoiler on the standard Evo actually did have a noticeable effect on the car's handling. He said he was blown away by how unsettled the car felt (in comparison to the standard model) in not just high speed turns, but even lower speed curves too.

That's the article I think of every time I start reading the "dis car don't got enough HP for a big spoiler" posts. Guys, remember... horsepower and speed are two entirely different things, and you would be surprised at how much effect a proper spoiler can have on a car even at low speeds.

If you don't like or don't want a big, goofy spoiler for aesthetic reasons, I very much respect that opinion. You think the trade-off in weight vs. downforce (vs. style) isn't worth it... sure, valid argument. But just don't say that it has no effect at all on the car's handling, okay?
Agreed. It is like the people that say "OMG, a big rear wing on FWD is so dumb!" All those race teams running FWD vehicles are just adding weight and drag with their rear wing. Aero isn't dependent on power or drive wheels.
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #54
TPO

Drives: Scion fr-s,Lexus is250,4-runner
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Will have to pass on this one
TPO is offline   Reply With Quote