follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dear Toyota/Scion: Please......

...make the back seat somewhat useable and functional. If not, just get rid of it. But if at all possible, please make it work for those times that I need to bring 2-3 people with me in the car.

Thank you.

Tranz

Note: So I test drove a GC today. I sat in the back seat to get a feeling of how useable it is. Basically my neck was at an angle because my head was up against the roof. I am 5'11 and I needed another 2in in height to be comfortable in the back since the roof slopes down right where the back passenger's head is. Poor design in my opinion, or maybe it is just my weird proportions?
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
I would like a two seater like my old CRX. If it has to have seating for four, have the rear seats fold like the 911.

That's why they make vanilla and chocolate.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:18 AM   #3
tranzformer

2 seater would be interesting but not as practical. I would also like to be able to fold the rear seats but wonder if they Toyota won't do that to keep up the rigidity of the car like the Evo?
Old 04-30-2011, 12:31 AM   #4
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
i dont see how the seats are going to be good for anything other than a parcel shelf in a car that size.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:38 AM   #5
tranzformer

^ so might as well just delete it and save weight, right? Function over form.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:59 AM   #6
RedruM

Drives: Mitsubishi3000GT, ToyotaCamry SE V6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I dunno, I'm actually for the 2+2 even if its tight. I have a 2+2 3000GT and I like the option of torturing my rear passengers if they are unfortunate to not have their own ride. I think its a good option to have in an emergency and I don't think it bothers the design too much imo other than the weight but I think its negligable. Altho the 3000GT can fold flat and with the hatchback there is actually a ton of cargo room. I'm still not sure if the FT-86 is a hatchback or not, but I hope so.

Don't forget the insurance bonus of the extra 2 seats.
RedruM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:15 AM   #7
El_STiG
Lord Stig

Drives: Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
2x2 or my woman and lil one won't approve! Lol it's why they love MT GenCoupe.
El_STiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:32 AM   #8
Zorro

Drives: G35 V36 6MT
I would prefer It to be a 2+2 and have a easy option to remove them and have a carbon fiber delete or something. Keep the rear seats in storage for when you need to move people.

Would give a huge truck area and lighten the car a bit. Plus would still get the insurance benefits of a 2+2
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:39 AM   #9
Ryuu0u
(=^・ェ・^=)

Drives: 2013 FRS, '08 GSXR 600
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Being young and not having owned a 2door car yet id love to have a 2+2 to enjoy for once. Having a 4door econo box is nice on gas but gets more dull everyday.
Ryuu0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:48 AM   #10
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Drives: 2003 Celica GT-S
As long as the seats aren't any worse than the Celica's, I'm fine. They can be as bad, but not worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedruM View Post
I dunno, I'm actually for the 2+2 even if its tight. I have a 2+2 3000GT and I like the option of torturing my rear passengers if they are unfortunate to not have their own ride. I think its a good option to have in an emergency and I don't think it bothers the design too much imo other than the weight but I think its negligable. Altho the 3000GT can fold flat and with the hatchback there is actually a ton of cargo room. I'm still not sure if the FT-86 is a hatchback or not, but I hope so.

Don't forget the insurance bonus of the extra 2 seats.
This.

I like being able to drive 4 people around. But I don't like doing it. I just like the option. And when it does arise, I like torturing the passengers in the back with being squished.

But for the most part, the passengers I've had usually fit pretty well since the girls I hang with aren't that big. Pretty petite little things. The guys? Well I couldn't care less.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:00 AM   #11
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Note: So I test drove a GC today. I sat in the back seat to get a feeling of how useable it is. Basically my neck was at an angle because my head was up against the roof. I am 5'11 and I needed another 2in in height to be comfortable in the back since the roof slopes down right where the back passenger's head is. Poor design in my opinion, or maybe it is just my weird proportions?
You've never owned a 2+2 before have you?

The AE86 has only had people in the rear when it was an emergency (like picking my friend up from a car accident, had his GF and her friend in the rear) and you drive a short distance. Its not supposed to be comfy, its not going to be comfy, that's the way it is. However, I will state that I've never had to slouch in the back of the AE86, mk2 Celica Supra, nor the Mk3 Supra, so THAT might be poor design. Then again I'm 5'8", so the height difference might be the culprit. But by no means is sitting back there comfortable.

2+2 DOES save on insurance, as its not a strict 2 seater.
Of course it also helps when your insurance company is so clueless on your car (the AE86) they have "4door" on the policy, despite the fact that the VIN obviously brings up the fact its a 3door hatch.

Honestly, this is like...4th priority level on the list this car needs to have when it goes production. I'm certainly not entertaining any thoughts of regularly hauling people around in this car, at least in the back seats, unless, stated earlier, its an emergency and a short trip.

And you forget one bonus of having a very uncomfortable 2 seats in the rear...people are less likely to ask YOU to drive the group of friends, or whatever, around town. Your car won't be used for such silly things. You take your friends boring sedan instead, and save mileage, gas, and unwanted wear and tear on your own vehicle. So pro's:
1) Nice to HAVE the seats for emergencies
2) Saves on insurance
3) Less likely to be asked to be the chauffeur for the night
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #12
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If you want a low slung gorgeous body style sports car sacrifices have to be made and this may sound bad to some but I do not care for rear passengers. I would make the sacrifice in a heartbeat!!! I think you might be better off with a 2 door sedan like a BMW 328i/335i.

And another thing since this car is a 2.0 liter do you really want people to add more weight to a car with a engine with weak torque?
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #13
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
If you want a low slung gorgeous body style sports car sacrifices have to be made and this may sound bad to some but I do not care for rear passengers. I would make the sacrifice in a heartbeat!!!

And another thing since this car is a 2.0 liter do you really want people to add more weight to a car with a engine with weak torque?
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedruM View Post

Don't forget the insurance bonus of the extra 2 seats
And this.

Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
iff2mastamatt
Feeling Iffy?

Drives: it like I stole it
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
If you want a low slung gorgeous body style sports car sacrifices have to be made and this may sound bad to some but I do not care for rear passengers. I would make the sacrifice in a heartbeat!!! I think you might be better off with a 2 door sedan like a BMW 328i/335i.

Yeah, I agree. There are so many options for cars that have decent back seats and that go fast (in the $20K-30K range). Sporty cars aren't meant to have comfy back seats; they're not really meant to be used. However, if you need to squeeze in a friend of two once in a while then the back seats will come in handy.
iff2mastamatt is offline   Reply With Quote