follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-11-2016, 01:52 AM   #29
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Performance View Post
If memory serves, you have the original hand made paddles, correct? If so, we have a standing offer to replace them with the new injection molded version. All you have to do is cover round trip shipping to get the free upgrade. You will still be getting product made in the USA and backed by our one year warranty.

As for the adhesive, it was tested in the peak of Southern California summer hitting 110 degrees Fahrenheit with the car parked in the sun without failure. We did move to a thicker adhesive to accommodate for the loose tolerances we observed on the OEM paddles (+/- 0.010") so it may have simply been a tolerance issue (the OEM parts are made in China, go figure). Our injection molded parts are manufactured here in California to a tight industry standard tolerance of +/- 0.005". In addition, the 3M VHB adhesive we use is designed specifically for high temperature environments and is rated at 300 degrees Fahrenheit long term, and 500 degrees short term. At worst, the interior of a car will reach equilibrium at 190 degrees on a hot day in the sun so the adhesive is in fact over spec'd for the application as far as temperature is concerned.

In any case, if you would like to do the upgrade, please shoot me a PM so we can square away the details.
Wow. That's awesome. Yeah they are one of the original sets. Hope you dont mind one is stripped and one has an uneven paint job lol. PM coming shortly.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Stark Performance (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 02:13 AM   #30
Stark Performance

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Wow. That's awesome. Yeah they are one of the original sets. Hope you dont mind one is stripped and one has an uneven paint job lol. PM coming shortly.
I don't mind if they're messed up. Yes, they were extremely difficult to paint and required a lot of sanding and polishing to get a presentable appearance. Ultimately, however, I would much rather have happy customers rocking great product than a quick buck. This is more about passion than anything else and the injection molded paddles are really bitchin' IMHO so I would really like for you to have a set of these bad boys. Thanks for your support.
Stark Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stark Performance For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 08:47 AM   #31
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
BTW, may i suggest possible design - to mount paddle extensions not via adhesive, not via screws to original paddles .. but via some plate that goes around oem padles from another side and is screwed to paddle extensions. This way:
1) more secure and sure mount then via any adhesive
2) easier to remove if user ever needs that vs adhesive
3) nothing needs to be screwed to stock paddles. Just Extension from one paddle side, mounting plate from another.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
kuhlka (03-29-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 10:54 AM   #32
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
BTW, may i suggest possible design - to mount paddle extensions not via adhesive, not via screws to original paddles .. but via some plate that goes around oem padles from another side and is screwed to paddle extensions. This way:
3) nothing needs to be screwed to stock paddles. Just Extension from one paddle side, mounting plate from another.
But how would you mount the plate to the paddles? still have the same problems you're trying to avoid unless Im just not getting what you are saying

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #33
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Simple sandwich - mounting plate>pressed in stock paddles in middle>paddles extension. Bolts secure that plate to extension via holes outside stock paddles perimeter. No adhesive nor drilling in stock paddles needed.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
kuhlka (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 02:42 PM   #34
kuhlka

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
If I had a 3D printer, I'd be making these myself. Could even make them so they're toolless. Just put the bottom plate over the back and the front cover snaps into the rear with tabs that stick out a tad so you can remove them later, if necessary.
kuhlka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:39 PM   #35
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Performance View Post
In addition, the 3M VHB adhesive we use is designed specifically for high temperature environments and is rated at 300 degrees Fahrenheit long term, and 500 degrees short term.
I work in manufacturing, 3M VHB is fantastic stuff. With enough VHB and good surface prep you could probably stick yourself on the ceiling lol
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJCarbine For This Useful Post:
Stark Performance (03-29-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 12:43 AM   #36
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

didn't want to make holes in the original paddles so i stuck them on with 3M tape and they hold on great..surprisingly to me
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote