follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What platform should Toyota use for the next Supra?
Toyota "S" Platform which is used for the GS, IS/RC, & Crown. 3 60.00%
A stretched & modified 86/FR-S platform. 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #575
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
interesting they are considering unveiling a concept this year, meaning it has been in the works for at-least a year now. I would have guessed Celica would have made an appearance first before Supra, but at least we get to see some sort of shape to go with the rumor mills.

I am concerned about what they meant about "shocking". Between the styling of the previous Supra, the GT86, and the LF-A, which all lends homage to its Toyota DNA. How much of a departure in styling is going to happen to shock us at this point.
Isn't the tC a Celica replacement?

The BMW-Toyota midsize was announced since January of 2013.

BMW and Toyota Deepen Collaboration, will Co-Develop a Mid-Size Sports Car

Quote:
After last June’s MoU (Memorandum of Understanding), the Toyota Motor Corporation and the BMW Group announced today the signing of binding agreements for the joint development of new technologies and a new sports car.
BMW Chairman Norbert Reithofer and Toyota President Akio Toyoda both expressed their satisfaction in signing the binding agreements and their shared belief that this partnership will be beneficial for their groups and help them to produce better vehicles.

This deal, which will increase the level of cooperation between the two groups significantly, concerns four main points:

-A Fuel Cell System: BMW and Toyota both believe that fuel cell technology is one of the solutions for zero emission vehicles. Thus they will share their respective technologies in order to develop a complete fuel-cell system vehicle system comprising not only of the fuel cell stack and system but also the hydrogen battery, motor and tank. The target set for this project is 2020.

-A Sports Vehicle: The two automakers have agreed to initiate a feasibility study for the development of a joint platform for a mid-size sports vehicle that will be completed by the end of 2013.

-Lightweight Technology: The aim is to reduce the weight of vehicle bodies through the use of lightweight materials, such as reinforced composites. This materials will be developed “with an eye to utilize them” in the new mid-size sports car mentioned above, as well as other BMW and Toyota vehicles.

-Post-lithium-ion Battery Technology: The two groups will begin joint research for the development of a lithium-air battery that will sport an energy density much greater than that of existing lithium-ion batteries.

Since fuel-cell-powered cars are at least a decade away and the lithium-air battery development was just announced, the most interesting part is the 2013 deadline set for the new sports car platform project.

It took Toyota a while to get there but rolling out a second sports car, one co-developed with BMW to join the 86/GT86/Scion FR-S is good news, indeed.
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2013/01...aboration.html
Old 12-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #576
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
Isn't the tC a Celica replacement?
See thats what I thought too, but then I remember a Toyota rep nearly a year ago saying that the Celica brand is still viable for future productions. And then there was that 1 day shitstorm about the FRS/GT86 actually receiving the Celica badge out of baseless assumptions.

Anywho, if Celica is still on the table. Then the tC isnt really a replacement, rather a segment that fills in a market gap while Celica brand is on hiatus. And just to be clear, I'm not saying this BMW/Toyota venture is the Celica either.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #577
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
See thats what I thought too, but then I remember a Toyota rep nearly a year ago saying that the Celica brand is still viable for future productions. And then there was that 1 day shitstorm about the FRS/GT86 actually receiving the Celica badge out of baseless assumptions.

Anywho, if Celica is still on the table. Then the tC isnt really a replacement, rather a segment that fills in a market gap while Celica brand is on hiatus. And just to be clear, I'm not saying this BMW/Toyota venture is the Celica either.
i thought it was a celica replacement. the tC and celica are both FWD.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #578
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
the 86 starting taking place in 2008. than a year later we saw the concept at the 2009 tokyo motor show.

its been about a year since the toyota/bmw sports car will announced. i think we will seeing a new concept at detroit

question is will it be a brand new concept or a refresh version of the FT-HS concept?
Old 12-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #579
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Quote:

Yeah I remember that. Toyota has said three sports car. A larger one above the 86/FR-S and smaller one below it. To me that means something big like a Supra and than something small like the MR-2.

The 86/FR-S is kinda the same size as the Celicas, no?

I don't think the BMW/Toyota car is a new Celica either. The car has been confirmed as a midsize. The Celica is a compact.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #580
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Toyota Supra concept to debut in Detroit - report

Quote:
Could preview a production model

The rumor mill is back in action as Autoblog is reporting a Supra concept will debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

Citing "well-placed members of the Toyota team," the website is reporting the company will unveil a new concept that will preview the upcoming production model. Toyota declined to confirm the rumors but company chairman Takeshi Uchiyamada has stated he wants the jointly-developed BMW-Toyota sports car to be a high-performance model that is comparable to the Supra. Toyota GT 86 chief engineer Tetsuya Tada has also said the company has asked him to "make a successor to the Supra as soon as possible."

We're taking everything with a grain of salt but previous reports have indicated the production model could be launched in 2017 and feature a turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine which is outfitted with a hybrid system.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11312066...troit---report
Old 12-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #581
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Report: New Toyota Supra Headed for Detroit This January

Quote:
Toyota (NYSE:TM) sports car offerings are legendary in some circles, though much of the company’s press revolves around compact cars, hybrids, and, lately, fuel-cell vehicles. But by the sound of rumors from Auto Blog, the automaker may have a new Supra sports car to work auto enthusiasts into a frenzy at the Detroit Auto Show in January. If so, it would generate plenty of excitement for a brand often considered safe and even boring above all else.

According to Auto Blog, “members of the Toyota team” suggested in conversation that the automaker could have a new model of the legendary Supra, one which that even feature a hybrid powertrain in the vein of other supercars, headed Detroit’s way in January. The website suggested the Toyota FT-HS hybrid concept could be a model for the new Supra, though hints on the design are pure speculation at this point.

However, Toyota’s increased focus on high-profile sports cars seems to be a top-down movement. Reuters reported in June about the emergence of Akio Toyoda as the Toyota executive who wanted a hipper, more performance-centric reputation established for the brand. At one appearance, Toyoda showed up in racing gear in a Lexus LFA, sending a crowd at the Nürburgring track in Germany buzzing.
http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/r...-january.html/
Old 12-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #582
HeubergerMotors

Drives: 2006 WRX TR
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm happy they'll bring the pooprah back. However, I don't want it to resemble concept as 95% of the time they wont. As concepts are just to show future styling concepts, instead of the whole package.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #583
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Drives: ~.~
Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,249 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Yeah I really want to know what it will end up looking like.. I think the Supra's biggest competitor might be the NSX if it goes through

The Following User Says Thank You to Kelbyat07 For This Useful Post:
HeubergerMotors (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #584
Whitigir
Banned

Drives: 450 awhp twin turbo vr4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelbyat07 View Post
Yeah I really want to know what it will end up looking like.. I think the Supra's biggest competitor might be the NSX if it goes through
Case in point!!!

The NSX is 120K +...so the Supra will still be that much, if it wants to compete... otherwise, I rather go for a more Mature 86
Old 12-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #585
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
i thought it was a celica replacement. the tC and celica are both FWD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
Yeah I remember that. Toyota has said three sports car. A larger one above the 86/FR-S and smaller one below it. To me that means something big like a Supra and than something small like the MR-2.

The 86/FR-S is kinda the same size as the Celicas, no?

I don't think the BMW/Toyota car is a new Celica either. The car has been confirmed as a midsize. The Celica is a compact.
Yeah, and i understand that the tC is the same platform family as the Celica, but so was the Caldina and Primo which were mid-sized sedans and wagons and we arn't calling them Celica replacements. The compact coupe/sedan Avensis came in 97. Which the tC is based off of,but we arnt call that the Celica replacement. Only reason why tC is considered a spiritual successor is because its a sporty, customization, coupe filling a market gap in America left by the discontinued Celica sports car in 04. While Celica continued to be sold in Japan until 06.

After that comment, now I don't believe the tC simply replaced the Celica.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #586
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Drives: ~.~
Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,249 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitigir View Post
Case in point!!!

The NSX is 120K +...so the Supra will still be that much, if it wants to compete... otherwise, I rather go for a more Mature 86

I thought originally the Supra was going for around 100k

Old 12-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #587
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I can't wait to get "shocked"! Don't disappoint me Toyota!
Old 12-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #588
Whitigir
Banned

Drives: 450 awhp twin turbo vr4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelbyat07 View Post
I thought originally the Supra was going for around 100k
40k in the 90th. Regardless of that, the point of why Japanese dropped the balls on their High Performance car was because of the price

Those cars, Rx7, 300ZX turbo, VR4, Supra turbo...all costed as much, if not more than Corvette. They could no longer sell, or compete, regardless of different platforms.

They dropped it.

Tell me, can they beat the C7 ?

Closed Thread

Tags
new supra, supra, tap auto, tap auto parts, toyota supra