follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-18-2020, 10:18 AM   #57
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Even though I had already played with the HU of my Hakone this thread made me paranoid that I was missing something. Since I don't get it for another week yet I asked the sales guy to confirm the door speakers were working properly. They are.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:38 AM   #58
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehShirt View Post
From this thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139286

It looks like a jumper is supposed to be used with this headunit. Any chance you can see if this is unplugged on your car?
So, looking over the installation instructions of the Harmon base audio, which is most likely done as a dealer installed feature, I am coming to the conclusion that the new Harmon base head unit is a “high output” deck taking over the functions that the amplifier in the trunk was originally designed to do. The amplifier is no longer needed, so it gets the amp bypass plug, which allows the new head unit to power the door speakers along with the remaining speakers in the car. Then, they pull the 15 A amplifier fuse from the fuse box under the dash to eliminate the constant power source to the amp. The new head unit probably doesn’t have an amplifier turn-on output as it is also no longer needed. (However, the wire at the harness in the back of the head unit is still there.) So checking at the HD2 plug in the kick panel SHOULD reveal that there is no 12-volt DC power or amp turn-on signal there.

The main problem I now see is that it looks as though the technician employed by the dealer that sold this car (for some unknown reason that we can only speculate) forgot to install the bypass plug at the amp. My guess is he simply neglected to follow the installation instructions completely.

One thing of note though, the checklist at the end of the instructions does not require the technician to make sure all of the speakers are operating before completing the job.

Once this is all over and you know the amplifier isn’t doing anything, you can remove the amp completely in order to save at least a little bit of weight.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:41 AM   #59
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Even though I had already played with the HU of my Hakone this thread made me paranoid that I was missing something. Since I don't get it for another week yet I asked the sales guy to confirm the door speakers were working properly. They are.
If you have the Harmon base audio, you should do us all a favor and check to see if that amp bypass plug is in place on your car. And can you post the results for us please?
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
QHawk (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 11:52 AM   #60
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
If you have the Harmon base audio, you should do us all a favor and check to see if that amp bypass plug is in place on your car. And can you post the results for us please?
I won't have access to it for a week. It is off being ceramic coated. Can check then but it may be figured out by that point.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:16 PM   #61
QHawk

Drives: 2020 86GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
In my new 86, that jumper harness is not connected to anything. It's present--cable-tied to the input wires from the headunit but not being used. The installation instructions for the HU clearly were not followed. This car was shipped originally to a Toyota dealer in New Jersey but sold to me by a New Hampshire dealer, who brought the car up and had nothing to do with the HU installation. (I have pictures of the car interior from its time in New Jersey, and the HU is there already.)

I'll be busy this PM but will investigate further.
QHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to QHawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 01:50 PM   #62
Bobharp

Drives: 86 Hakone
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just posted my update to this issue in theElectronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment part of the forum.

In summary. Definitely use the bypass cable.
Bobharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobharp For This Useful Post:
etherdude (03-19-2020), QHawk (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 05:06 PM   #63
QHawk

Drives: 2020 86GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I plugged in the jumper, and the speakers are now working.

Unfortunately, now that the audio is present in its full glory, I realize how crummy it is, as other people have said. A replacement HU is ahead. I also find the backup camera image almost impossible to make sense of in lots of conditions. Aside from being too small, the image is superimposed over the mirror image. Who ever thought that was OK? I'll investigate what's possible for moving the camera image to a new HU.

So thanks to the people who supplied useful info. On to the next challenge.
QHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QHawk For This Useful Post:
etherdude (03-19-2020), soundman98 (03-18-2020), Tcoat (03-18-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 01:10 AM   #64
etherdude

Drives: 2020 Hakone Edition, 2015 FR-S
Indeed it has been solved. I do not think the dealer did this. I suspect it is a "port" installation since the head unit was installed (improperly) prior to the car arriving at the dealer.

It is 2:30A in the morning, I could not sleep. I had already messed with the plugs during the day and wondered what that yellow cabled plug was for, since my 2015 FR-S did not have one. After reading the above post, I ran down, pulled the carpet and trunk pad, used a pair of diagonals to cut the tie strip on the plug, and then installed it.

Sound is MUCH better. Full string bass on FM 91.1 KCSM (Jazz).

MANY THANKS to BobHarp for his report!

Last edited by etherdude; 03-19-2020 at 02:31 AM.
etherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to etherdude For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (03-19-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 05:35 AM   #65
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by etherdude View Post
Indeed it has been solved. I do not think the dealer did this. I suspect it is a "port" installation since the head unit was installed (improperly) prior to the car arriving at the dealer.

It is 2:30A in the morning, I could not sleep. I had already messed with the plugs during the day and wondered what that yellow cabled plug was for, since my 2015 FR-S did not have one. After reading the above post, I ran down, pulled the carpet and trunk pad, used a pair of diagonals to cut the tie strip on the plug, and then installed it.

Sound is MUCH better. Full string bass on FM 91.1 KCSM (Jazz).

So this begs the question. If they didn't do the most basic change required in the installation instructions did they repin the USB and pull the amp fuse like they were supposed to?

http://toyotaparts.sparkstoyota.com/...190-20inst.pdf
soundman98 (03-19-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 11:25 AM   #66
etherdude

Drives: 2020 Hakone Edition, 2015 FR-S
Quote:
So this begs the question. If they didn't do the most basic change required in the installation instructions did they repin the USB and pull the amp fuse like they were supposed to?

http://toyotaparts.sparkstoyota.com/...190-20inst.pdf
I have been using the USB port on mine with no issues. Android Auto works, the phone gets charged when plugged in, and I also tried a USB stick and it worked as well. So I assume that was done. I also checked the fuse box, and the fuse for the amp had been pulled as instructed.

Doug
etherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to etherdude For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-19-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 11:30 AM   #67
Tcoat

Quote:
I have been using the USB port on mine with no issues. Android Auto works, the phone gets charged when plugged in, and I also tried a USB stick and it worked as well. So I assume that was done. I also checked the fuse box, and the fuse for the amp had been pulled as instructed.

Doug
So they just missed the most critical step! Thanks. Glad it was figured out and relatively simple.

The only other question I would have is does the HU have the capacity to drive the woofers properly? The amp was obviously required with the old HUs but maybe the new ones just don't need the extra oomph.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:09 PM   #68
Bobharp

Quote:
So they just missed the most critical step! Thanks. Glad it was figured out and relatively simple.

The only other question I would have is does the HU have the capacity to drive the woofers properly? The amp was obviously required with the old HUs but maybe the new ones just don't need the extra oomph.

I'm no audiophile but the sound is perfect for me. Rich and deep.

I've cranked up the available controls on the head unit with no perceivable distortion.

My intent is to try some other options on the factory head unit. I'll update my post in the Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment section.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobharp For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-19-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #69
Bobharp

Quote:

You are welcome. More than happy to contribute. Just love this car!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobharp For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (03-19-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 12:36 PM   #70
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobharp View Post
I'm no audiophile but the sound is perfect for me. Rich and deep.

I've cranked up the available controls on the head unit with no perceivable distortion.

My intent is to try some other options on the factory head unit. I'll update my post in the Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment section.
Excellent! My needs are simple so as long as it has the power I am good. The brief time I played with mine it seemed fine but this all has me second guessing what I thought I heard.