follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-31-2022, 04:37 PM   #1
SeddyBRZ

Drives: Pearl White 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Buying coilovers soon and have a few questions

Been browsing the forms trying to figure out everything I'll need plus fitment for my wheels. Got frustrated given there's not a single form post I could find with the answers I am left looking for.

1.) I'm buying bc racing coilovers linked here: https://www.enjukuracing.com/product...baru-brz.html#

I am not sure how low I can go with these or if it can ever go as high as stock but that information would be great if someone knows!

2.)I have already sort of gotten the answer but not for sure, after some research using the wheel fitment guide and seeing some posts about others having a similar set up, I am not sure if I'll run into and clearance issues with my wheels if I lower the car, let's say about 2-3". I have 17x8.5 +35mm wheels with 235/45 tires. Not too concerned as I am planning on getting new wheels but if I cant run the coilovers with the wheels now, I'd like to wait to install them. But sometimes the only way of knowing is by doing lol.

3.) Will I for sure need rear adjustable control arms and toe arms if I go lower than stock height? Will I also need adjustable trailing arms? Is there anything else that's a necessity for the front end to get an alignment close to stock?

I will ask more questions in the comments if I think of any more. This car is a somewhat of a daily driver (hopefully for not too long) so I'd like to not have any down time apart from a weekend and maybe a day for an alignment. Any and all Information will help including to links previously discussing the answers to my questions!

Edit: had the wrong link for the coilovers

Last edited by SeddyBRZ; 03-31-2022 at 04:54 PM.
SeddyBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:02 AM   #2
Poogchomp

Drives: Chevrolet Ram 250
for question 2, you won't rub on the struts at all with your wheels. I run 17x9 +35 with 245/40/R17 on mine and they don't rub at all.

3.) It depends on how low you go past stock. lowering the car around an inch doesn't require any extra modification to your suspension at all. If you lower excessively, then yeah you're gonna need to do things to correct the suspension geometry.
NoHaveMSG (04-01-2022), Tcoat (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 06:49 AM   #3
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Read this.

1 and 3 are mentioned in there.
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67345
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (04-01-2022), p1l0t (04-01-2022), Poogchomp (04-01-2022), Tcoat (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 12:49 PM   #4
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Why BC? There are better options for the same price and much better options for a little more money.

Why so low?!?! I guess it won't matter what you buy at that ride height since you will be practically sitting on the ground. Maybe consider air so you can raise the car to a reasonable ride height to drive and drop it if you want to hard park.

LCA's will depend on how much camber and ride height, same with toe arms. No need for trailing arms.
norcalpb (04-01-2022), Poogchomp (04-01-2022), pope (04-01-2022), x808drifter (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 10:36 AM   #5
grumpysnapper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeddyBRZ View Post
.... if I lower the car, let's say about 2-3". .... This car is a somewhat of a daily driver ....
This really confuses me.
It will be horrible to drive.
It will literally do nothing well while it is in motion (ie. being a car).
grumpysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grumpysnapper For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (04-02-2022), Poogchomp (04-02-2022), x808drifter (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 12:01 PM   #6
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpysnapper View Post
(ie. being a car).
I dunno why but this at the end really made me lol
grumpysnapper (04-02-2022), x808drifter (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 12:02 PM   #7
SeddyBRZ

I was meaning rubbing on the fenders. There is plenty of space between the wheel and strut. According to the fitment guide, there isn't an issue running 17x8.5 wheels with a +35mm offset at stock height. I haven't been able to find a post proving that the car can run those wheels when lowered 1", 2", or even lower.

I guess I'll just throw the coilovers on when I get them and hope for the best, they should be here in a week or so.
Old 04-02-2022, 12:07 PM   #8
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
There's lowering and then there's stupid.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 12:11 PM   #9
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
I haven't been able to find a post proving that the car can run those wheels when lowered 1", 2", or even lower.

\
You said 2-3, not 1 or 2. You CAN run your car at 3, it's not great though. Our cars are pretty low as is, and if you drop it too much you run out of bump travel real quick. About an inch to 1 1/2 is not terrible on a street car, you will for sure scrape on sloped entries on the lower end of that.

Even on a car that is primarily just a track car and occasion weekend back road car like mine I only run about 1 5/8 from stock.
Old 04-02-2022, 12:15 PM   #10
SeddyBRZ

Holy fuck I didn't realize people on this form were so fixated on theoretical numbers. Jeeze
Old 04-02-2022, 12:17 PM   #11
SeddyBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
You said 2-3, not 1 or 2. You CAN run your car at 3, it's not great though. Our cars are pretty low as is, and if you drop it too much you run out of bump travel real quick. About an inch to 1 1/2 is not terrible on a street car, you will for sure scrape on sloped entries on the lower end of that.

Even on a car that is primarily just a track car and occasion weekend back road car like mine I only run about 1 5/8 from stock.
Thank you, pretty sure half the people commenting garbage haven't lowered their cars. I haven't even researched into how low is low for this car. I'm going off number from my previous car that wasn't a BRZ so your comment is about the most informing one yet.
Old 04-02-2022, 12:25 PM   #12
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Thank you, pretty sure half the people commenting garbage haven't lowered their cars. I haven't even researched into how low is low for this car. I'm going off number from my previous car that wasn't a BRZ so your comment is about the most informing one yet.
Don't take offense to the guys. They are all good and knowledgeable. We tease pretty hard here. Heck, Grumpy has one of the more interesting builds on here

Before you pull the trigger on BC's though take a look at your options. There are ST's which are built by KW. The Tien Flex Z's aren't bad. For a bit more money you can get into the Flex A's which have hydraulic bottom out bumpers, CSG Spec Flex A's, and RCE SS1's. The latter two more track oriented but handle fine on the street. If you intend to run down around 2 inches I would look into getting extended rear top mounts from Raceseng.
grumpysnapper (04-02-2022), Poogchomp (04-02-2022), Wally86 (04-05-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 03:29 PM   #13
Poogchomp

Drives: Chevrolet Ram 250
Quote:
Didn't realize you didn't make a decision on how low to lower your car. I usually don't tell people what to do if it seems like they know what they already want.

That being said, our cars do really well being lowered by around an inch. You won't have any issues with fender rub or rubbing on the struts if you lower about an inch. As I mentioned in my earlier post I run 17x9 +35 with 245/40/r17 tires on mine and it's perfectly fine. Fitment with alignment actually ended up being really good too, though I wasn't necessarily going for that.

You seem to be willing to spend on aliment components. Instead of budgeting for those plus the coils, I suggest spending more on a quality coil like the ones @NoHaveMSG suggested and just dropping by about an inch. For the alignment, just run -.5 degrees more camber in the front than whatever the rears end up being. Add in 1/16 toe in on the rear and 0 toe up front you'll be pretty happy with that. If the coils you get don't have camber plates you'll want to invest in camber bolts and tha will be all you need for the alignment.
NoHaveMSG (04-03-2022)
Old 04-03-2022, 06:27 AM   #14
SeddyBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poogchomp View Post
Didn't realize you didn't make a decision on how low to lower your car. I usually don't tell people what to do if it seems like they know what they already want.

That being said, our cars do really well being lowered by around an inch. You won't have any issues with fender rub or rubbing on the struts if you lower about an inch. As I mentioned in my earlier post I run 17x9 +35 with 245/40/r17 tires on mine and it's perfectly fine. Fitment with alignment actually ended up being really good too, though I wasn't necessarily going for that.

You seem to be willing to spend on aliment components. Instead of budgeting for those plus the coils, I suggest spending more on a quality coil like the ones @NoHaveMSG suggested and just dropping by about an inch. For the alignment, just run -.5 degrees more camber in the front than whatever the rears end up being. Add in 1/16 toe in on the rear and 0 toe up front you'll be pretty happy with that. If the coils you get don't have camber plates you'll want to invest in camber bolts and tha will be all you need for the alignment.
Sorry about that, I was in the wrong getting upset. I had stuff going on the other day that I was frustrated with and came on here and acted a fool. I apologize.

Thank you for the information. From what you're telling me, I'm confident I won't have any issue if I lower it 1-1.5. I'll start with 1" and see if I want to go lower down to 1.5". I think I said somewhere that I was using my old car as a baseline not realizing this car is already so low so that was a mistake on my side.

I'll definitely look into different ones but my main reasoning. Behind wanting the BC coilovers is because they were $1000 on sale (not sure if it was that website linked or a different one) but also because I didn't want to blow $1500-2000 on coilovers and need to spend another $2000 (almost) on new wheels and tires in the event I have issues with fitment. I'm also saving up for a supercharger and Various other parts so I was trying to work within a small budget. Hope this brings some understanding.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeddyBRZ For This Useful Post:
grumpysnapper (04-03-2022), Ohio Enthusiast (04-03-2022), Wally86 (04-05-2022)

Tags
car rides like shit 101, seddybrz = askhole