follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-21-2018, 12:08 PM   #1
AlexTheGreek

Drives: BRZ Premium Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Front bearing retainer - Permatex RTV OK?

As with many others, my TOB failed causing me to do a full clutch replacement and also replace my front bearing retainer that is damaged by the faulty TOB (70000mi)

Question: The manual recommends specific Toyota 1281 sealant on the front bearing retainer and specific thread locking compound as well that was green from the factory. Can I just get away with Permatex High Temp red RTV silicon and my standard blue loctite?

Lots of labor hours here so don’t wanna cut corners...
AlexTheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:39 AM   #2
AT-JeffT

Drives: 14 BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Any updates on this? Did you end up using RTV and loctite blue?
AT-JeffT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #3
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-JeffT View Post
Any updates on this? Did you end up using RTV and loctite blue?
Don't use red RTV and blue thread locker

If you are going to use RTV for the front cover use ultra grey, though preferably just get the right shit. You need to use green loctite where it calls out for it. Others will not work. Green needs the surface cleaned well before applied.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:11 PM   #4
jpky16

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Blue Loctite vs. Green Loctite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Don't use red RTV and blue thread locker

If you are going to use RTV for the front cover use ultra grey, though preferably just get the right shit. You need to use green loctite where it calls out for it. Others will not work. Green needs the surface cleaned well before applied.
I happened to be in the middle of doing this and wanted to make sure I did this correctly. I called my Toyota parts guy and he said they only use red or blue thread sealant, and they don't use anything "green".

As I'm sure you are aware, the service manual states:
- for the front bearing retainer: Seal Packing 1281, Three Bond 1281, or equivalent
- for the threads on the bolts: Toyota Genuine Adhesive 1344, Three Bond 1344, or equivalent.

if you google any of those substances, you come across this:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...-chart-251907/

This shows that you can Loctite 242 (blue) in place of the 1344 (which the parts guy didn't even know what that was). I ended up ordering a small tube of the 1281 for the front bearing retainer from Toyota however.

Hope that helps!
jpky16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpky16 For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (03-11-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 09:37 PM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@Tcoat and @Ultramaroon copy @tiredtom

Can anyone help this fellow out?

"Subject: persistent clutch/trans issue - please advise
tiredtom tiredtom is offline (Junior Member)
hi, im reaching out because i just made an account to make a post but never got a confirmation email so the site wont let me post anything. im waiting on the admin to get back to me. i was wondering if i could have your insight/expertise on an issue ive had for a long time.

i have a 2018 brz pp, ive owned since new. the car has only about 35k miles.

for years (off and on) ive had an issue with crunching, notchy, semi grinding gear changes. (all gears)

the clutch is oem and so is the shifter. (oem non short shifter)

i can best describe the issue as gears are difficult to get into, i get a semi grind feeling trying to get into every gear, almost every time. this happens on up and down shifts. the clutch sometimes feels gritty toward the bottom of a press. to me it feels like the grab point is lower than it used to be when the issue wasn’t happening. ive had guesses like air in the line, not fully disengaging, slave or master cyl failure, trans failure, etc.

i replaced the slave because i thought that was the cause, prior to taking it to the dealership the first time. the car has been looked at by multiple dealerships. originally i had a loud squeak coming from the top of the trans when pressing the clutch, clutch felt gritty and airy, gears hard to get into and grinding. the first dealer replaced the trans with a brand new one. the clutch and TOB was looked at and was verified to be ok. last visit after the issue came back AFTER the new transmission, they said they adjusted the push rod. i didnt have issues for about a year.

it recently came back randomly during a drive and hasn’t gone away. more so just hard to get into gears and slight grind into every gear, feeling like my clutch isnt fully disengaging. it feels like each gear i try to get into has a half step before going all the way in. it feels terrible. new dealership examined damn near everything, and everything i could think of. hydraulic system checked, no air in lines, shift cables, no leaks, trans fluid full and clean, etc. no repairs were recommended and they gave me the car back with no cause found or fix.

since getting the car back i went and looked through everything i have knowledge of and still found nothing. i finally caved and tried the pedal/pushrod adjustment both further down and further up and had no success so i put it back to around where it was. (this was a guess and i may need to adjust it again in case i didn’t do it properly. i just saw the video you recommended to someone else in another thread about how to adjust it correctly). in addition, with the first trans i tried the motul trans fluid swap which helped with the notorious 1st and 2nd notchyness, which helped that issue.. but i feel that was unrelated. and the car now has oem trans fluid since the new transmission.

one other thing, at mid-high rpm sometimes i hear a rattle from the shifter. (this started after the new trans) like when getting on the freeway etc. but not always. not sure if related at all.

please advise. im desperate at this point and dont know what to do or check. i have a case open with subaru and they have been of little help as well.

thank you for your time."
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 02:19 AM   #6
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
He sent me the same pm. @ichitaka05, can we get this guy onboarded?
Old 03-13-2022, 09:53 PM   #7
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,046 Times in 8,323 Posts
Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
From what I can see, status said “User waiting email confirmation”… jic I’ll forward it to Hachi