follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 04-02-2016, 10:23 PM   #1107
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayrush View Post
For some reason I feel like the car is not getting enough power from the battery / alternator durring start up. I have no real basis for feeling like that, I just do. part of me feels like the intercooler water pump running during start up does not help. Once again just an odd feeling.
I'm on the CARB tune and it starts up just fine - no difference than when it was stock. i give the water pump a few seconds to prime then start it up. the only time i had an issue with it not starting on the first crank was once or twice when i first got the car 3 years ago. installing the e-force didn't affect starting in any way for me. i do keep my battery fully charged on a battery tender, though, as i only drive a short distance to work every day.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
clayrush (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #1108
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayrush View Post

I have had the delitious flex kit on for over a year befor the charger, with zero issues. Even when it was freezing outside. After we installed the kit we were having issues when rolling to a stop. The car would either die or the rpm would seek up and down by 2.5k rpm. Only way to get it to stop was to gas it a bit. We do have a a lightened flywheel. But the heavier of the 2 from act. At first we thought it may have been contributing to the problem.

I have been fighting similar issues with mine. Stalling at stops, idle varing all over the place. Real bad bog or hesitation off idle. Like you I have smoke checked the car and while we did find a few vacuum leaks from the installation even after fixing that the problem persists. A local tech thinks I have a bad tune sending bad info to the throttle body. As I keep getting a P0068 code (MAP/MAF throttle position)
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunatic For This Useful Post:
clayrush (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 03:53 PM   #1109
clayrush

Drives: FRS,09 370z, 00 CelicaGT-S, 85 300Z
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
I have been fighting similar issues with mine. Stalling at stops, idle varing all over the place. Real bad bog or hesitation off idle. Like you I have smoke checked the car and while we did find a few vacuum leaks from the installation even after fixing that the problem persists. A local tech thinks I have a bad tune sending bad info to the throttle body. As I keep getting a P0068 code (MAP/MAF throttle position)
We got a "P050A cold start idle air control system performance" the other day.
I am going to run out the E85 and try just 91. If that does not work I am going to see about getting the carb tune from Edelbrock just to see what happens.
clayrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:57 PM   #1110
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
A local tech thinks I have a bad tune sending bad info to the throttle body. As I keep getting a P0068 code (MAP/MAF throttle position)
Are there certain conditions that trigger the code ie at freeway speeds? Have you recently updated your ecutek? Apparently P0068 limits have been recently integrated into ecutek and can be fixed by adding engine load compensation tables.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
clayrush (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 05:43 PM   #1111
clayrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Are there certain conditions that trigger the code ie at freeway speeds? Have you recently updated your ecutek? Apparently P0068 limits have been recently integrated into ecutek and can be fixed by adding engine load compensation tables.
The code has only come up once, after trying to start the car 5 times.
I updated about 2 weeks ago and uploaded my most recent tune from last week.

Edit: haha lookin at the wrong quote.

Last edited by clayrush; 04-03-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #1112
Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
No, happens all the time, slow speed, freeway, speeding up, slowing down, doesn't make any difference.

Not sure what you mean by up dating my ecutek? Engine has been doing this ever since supercharger was installed with Delicious flex fuel kit and tune.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:13 AM   #1113
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by up dating my ecutek? Engine has been doing this ever since supercharger was installed with Delicious flex fuel kit and tune.
Just meant that the more recent updates for ecutek included some new features such as the MAP/MAF vs load tables, so older tunes probably did not account for that. Since yours is recent, I'm positive these were accounted for. Just another possible source for P0068 that I've ran into, that's all.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:03 AM   #1114
clayrush

We went back to 91 yesterday. Car fires up first try. The idle wanted to jump around at a stop only once today.

I guess the car is not happy on e85. I still feel like now that it is warning up it should turn on better. I am gonna swap for some new spark plugs next time I do a oil change and see if that makes any difference. Cuz I know on my celica on e85 and 11 psi of boost, plugs fouled in about 10k miles.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:18 PM   #1115
Sargy
Long Distance Driver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
8 Hours of Tuning Later and my car is finally running in tip top shape. Had all the issues you guys had with hesitations, stumbling, bad bogs, rough idles, A/C stalling, car dying after first start, oscillations. it did not look pretty. This unit is definitely "different"

Silky silky smooth

If you guys have no CEL, talk to your tuner!

better yet, I want some of you to try this and report back to me:

for the e85 guys having trouble:
unplug the EVAP solenoid and just run the Engine harness plug so that the water pump can continue running as it should. go for some short drives.

Let me know if startups are better or driveability improved

Last edited by Sargy; 04-07-2016 at 11:51 PM.
Sargy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sargy For This Useful Post:
clayrush (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 11:14 AM   #1116
86fun

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Man, so awesome to hear you got the car working!! I wish I was down there so I could go to the same place, unfortunately I'm stuck just like you were. I have no doubt it's the tune too. How much was it to get it tuned properly? Thanks for speaking up, I get tired of people pointing fingers and hyping up products when there are clearly issues.
86fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:47 AM   #1117
Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fun View Post
Man, so awesome to hear you got the car working!! I wish I was down there so I could go to the same place, unfortunately I'm stuck just like you were. I have no doubt it's the tune too. How much was it to get it tuned properly? Thanks for speaking up, I get tired of people pointing fingers and hyping up products when there are clearly issues.
I'm not going to comment on the price of my tune as it was set up through a different shop. But I will tell you that a good dyno tune and esp by Shawn Church for me is worth every penny spent.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #1118
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm not going to comment on the price of my tune as it was set up through a different shop. But I will tell you that a good dyno tune and esp by Shawn Church for me is worth every penny spent.
Steve,

I gave Shawn Church a call this morning to talk about your car and see exactly what was going on with it. I understand how things can sometimes get misconstrued when the topic isn't something one is an expert on, so allow me to relay exactly what the problem was with your car.

Edelbrock kits come standard with a 2.5BAR Bosch Map sensor. Aftermarket map sensors must be scaled within the tune, and map sensors typically have a standard scaling which is adhered to. Case and point, every 2.5BAR Bosch map sensor we've done, and every 2.5BAR Bosch map sensor Shawn has done up to this point, has used the exact same scaling. Turns out, your particular car, for whatever reason, did not like the standard scaling and Shawn had to SIGNIFICANTLY alter even his own scaling to get it to read properly on your vehicle. Shawn and I agreed that this kind of inconsistency is not something that has any chance of being dialed in remotely, and would absolutely need to be done in person to diagnose and address properly. If you'll recall, we as the tuners at Delicious Tuning never saw your car in person.

This accounts 100% for your P0068 code, which relies on the MAF, MAP, and throttle all playing nicely together. Since the map sensor scaling was off due to your "unicorn" sensor, the throttle also had significant issues through the usable range which made the car absolutely terrible to drive. In addition, since your scaling was again off on the standard 2.5BAR values, vacuum reflected far too high at idle even after you had fixed your leaks. Since manifold pressure read too high at idle, your fuel trims were also out of whack. These symptoms represent themselves as a vacuum leak, which is why I was telling you to continue looking for one. This explains why you could no longer find any leaks after fixing the major ones, and why we were all left scratching our heads as to why your vehicle was still having issues.

As a tuner, this kind of inconsistency is not something that could have been diagnosed, addressed, or even guessed at without seeing and touching the car in person. While I understand it is also very easy to point fingers at vendors, this is clearly a special case. Your car is running well now; drive it and enjoy it. Is it by no fault of Delicious Tuning that your map sensor was so far off compared to every other 2.5BAR we've done, and is not something we could have fixed without seeing the car in person (which was always an option).

Sincerely,

Zach
Delicious Tuning
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
86fun (04-08-2016), BigFatFlip (04-08-2016), CSG David (04-08-2016), djliquidsteele (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 01:52 PM   #1119
Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales@delicioustuning.com View Post
Steve,

I gave Shawn Church a call this morning to talk about your car and see exactly what was going on with it. I understand how things can sometimes get misconstrued when the topic isn't something one is an expert on, so allow me to relay exactly what the problem was with your car.

Edelbrock kits come standard with a 2.5BAR Bosch Map sensor. Aftermarket map sensors must be scaled within the tune, and map sensors typically have a standard scaling which is adhered to. Case and point, every 2.5BAR Bosch map sensor we've done, and every 2.5BAR Bosch map sensor Shawn has done up to this point, has used the exact same scaling. Turns out, your particular car, for whatever reason, did not like the standard scaling and Shawn had to SIGNIFICANTLY alter even his own scaling to get it to read properly on your vehicle. Shawn and I agreed that this kind of inconsistency is not something that has any chance of being dialed in remotely, and would absolutely need to be done in person to diagnose and address properly. If you'll recall, we as the tuners at Delicious Tuning never saw your car in person.

This accounts 100% for your P0068 code, which relies on the MAF, MAP, and throttle all playing nicely together. Since the map sensor scaling was off due to your "unicorn" sensor, the throttle also had significant issues through the usable range which made the car absolutely terrible to drive. In addition, since your scaling was again off on the standard 2.5BAR values, vacuum reflected far too high at idle even after you had fixed your leaks. Since manifold pressure read too high at idle, your fuel trims were also out of whack. These symptoms represent themselves as a vacuum leak, which is why I was telling you to continue looking for one. This explains why you could no longer find any leaks after fixing the major ones, and why we were all left scratching our heads as to why your vehicle was still having issues.

As a tuner, this kind of inconsistency is not something that could have been diagnosed, addressed, or even guessed at without seeing and touching the car in person. While I understand it is also very easy to point fingers at vendors, this is clearly a special case. Your car is running well now; drive it and enjoy it. Is it by no fault of Delicious Tuning that your map sensor was so far off compared to every other 2.5BAR we've done, and is not something we could have fixed without seeing the car in person (which was always an option).

Sincerely,

Zach
Delicious Tuning
Thanks for the explanation Zach.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #1120
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation Zach.
For clarity, were you using the Edelbrock supplied BOSCH 2.5 Bar MAP sensor?

Zach, could an inconsistent sensor calibration coming out of Bosch be causing the several issues people have with hesitation and rough running? Tin foil hat, maybe they're not actually Bosch's but knockoffs as Bosch has a pretty solid reputation...
strat61caster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
86fun (04-08-2016), ajc209 (04-10-2016), clayrush (04-08-2016)