follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Oops-Scion listed last in JD Power Initial Quality Survey

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...165902281.html

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
BadMoon

Drives: 2014 GLI Autobahn/Nav
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Doesn't bother me. To be honest not that I'm all high and mighty, but I don't see the FRS as a Scion. I see it as what it is. A toyobaru. They slapped Scion badges on it to try to see cars under the label. That is all. I'm slowing removing all of those badges piece by piece. Next up the wheel caps. Then I will have someone has an easier solution for the steering wheel.

My crickets aside, I love the car. Hopefully after tomorrow they are gone as well.
BadMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I bet the FR-S contributed to this.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Not surprised with pages upon pages of "OMG WHAT'S THAT NOIZE" as well as crickets and taillights.

I'm not complaining, just not surprised.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Skyhound

Drives: Jaguar X-Type
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMoon View Post
Doesn't bother me. To be honest not that I'm all high and mighty, but I don't see the FRS as a Scion. I see it as what it is. A toyobaru. They slapped Scion badges on it to try to see cars under the label. That is all. I'm slowing removing all of those badges piece by piece. Next up the wheel caps. Then I will have someone has an easier solution for the steering wheel.

My crickets aside, I love the car. Hopefully after tomorrow they are gone as well.
Sorry to bust your bubble, but the quality in this car is subpar. The answer to the quality complaints from members here have simply been: "quit yer whining, you whippersnapper". Cheap plastic bits, a cheap stereo head unit that isn't even set for the FRS by default, and rattling speaker heads all contribute to this ranking. In turn, that depreciates the value of all of our 1st year cars.

Of course, none of this attributes to the handling and actual performance of the car. You can still love the car, but you have to admit that it's not the best quality compared to its competitors.
Skyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Skyhound For This Useful Post:
kidgogeta (06-19-2013), Lonewolf (06-19-2013), Muaddib (06-19-2013), Pete (06-20-2013), RRnold (06-19-2013), tomato86 (06-20-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhound View Post
Sorry to bust your bubble, but the quality in this car is subpar. The answer to the quality complaints from members here have simply been: "quit yer whining, you whippersnapper". Cheap plastic bits, a cheap stereo head unit that isn't even set for the FRS by default, and rattling speaker heads all contribute to this ranking. In turn, that depreciates the value of all of our 1st year cars.

Of course, none of this attributes to the handling and actual performance of the car. You can still love the car, but you have to admit that it's not the best quality compared to its competitors.
Since more FR-Ss are sold than BRZs it skews the numbers worse for Scion. Really though, more of the car was designed by Subaru and since it rolls off a Subaru plant line, kind of makes me think some of those points should go to Subaru
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
frsinpa

Drives: fr-s!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
They deserve it. Selling a $27K car that leaks water through the taillights is utterly insane.

You would think they could do some "BASIC" quality testing.. like driving the car around in rainy conditions and checking to see if water is collecting.
frsinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frsinpa For This Useful Post:
Muaddib (06-19-2013), tomato86 (06-20-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
Havsie

Drives: 13 FR-S Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Not surprised with pages upon pages of "OMG WHAT'S THAT NOIZE" as well as crickets and taillights.

I'm not complaining, just not surprised.
It seems like people expect something to be perfect and then complain when it inevitably is not. We don't live in a perfect world and some people need to accept that. All things considered, the FR-S/BRZ has had a pretty decent first year launch. The problems that it has had are quite minor compared to what other cars get. It's only to be expected after reading so many threads about people complaining about "strange noises" which are normal for this particular car and other various complaints over nothing that the "initial quality" would take a hit.

I suggest everyone to read a forum dedicated to German luxury vehicles and see their list of problems before they start complaining about the issues seen on these cars and claiming "unreliability".

Edit: I should have read the article more closely rather than quickly glancing at it. However, my point still stands.

Last edited by Havsie; 06-19-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: I can't read.
Havsie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Havsie For This Useful Post:
suaveflooder (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

The bean counters had to cut costs to keep this car in its cheap segment. I think most reasonable folks understand the interior needs some sprucing to be more liveable and less rattley. This is more of a modders car than most, so swap that deck out and get some dynamat and start pasting it down while swapping the crap door speakers out
Old 06-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

+1! With all of the posts I keep reading about owners having issues with their cars, I'm not surprised one bit. This is what happens when your car is built by Subaru; truth.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
+1! With all of the posts I keep reading about owners having issues with their cars, I'm not surprised one bit. This is what happens when your car is built by Subaru; truth.
Exactly, and everybody blew a gasket when I talked about how the Subaru I was test-driving broke down and I said that was unacceptable...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #12
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
FTA:

"J.D. Power found that two-thirds of the complaints owners had dealt with technology inside the car, from navigation systems to confusing cruise controls to problems pairing their phones with Bluetooth. Under the Power study a complaint doesn't mean something's broken — just that it isn't working as the owner thinks it should be."

And directly from J.D. Power:

"The majority of problems owners experience with their new vehicle in the first 90 days of ownership are design-related rather than manufacturing defects. These design problems are far less likely to be successfully resolved at the dealership than are defects, according to the study."

http://autos.jdpower.com/content/stu...dy-results.htm

So it appears two-thirds (couldn't find the raw data) of complaints were most likely about the BeSpoke head unit. That may be why Scion is currently offering the new 2014 head unit for half price (posted in another thread).
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to torqdork For This Useful Post:
Septic (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Subaru does not rank much better.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #14