follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-21-2012, 05:23 AM   #1
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
just bought my FR-S :D

Just bought my FR-S TODAY!!
Asphalt Gray 6MT . couldn't be happier. just had to buy my first car before the end of the world (/sarcasm).

Question, I already slightly burnt my clutch getting used to it (I can drive stick but not well yet). The I accidently drove a block with my handbrake on my accident. How bad of an effect will this have on the car for future reference? Also what do you guys consider the definite mods I should consider? As of right now I am only thinking tint, HIDs and an exhaust (does intake make much of a difference on this car?).
Thanks

I'll post pictures tomorrow as theres no sunlight. and maybe a review in the future as I have more time with it (coming from my brothers g35coupe and driven several other cars I can compare with).
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
that_one_guy

Drives: none
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Congrats on the purchase! driving with the handbrake on the distance that you did won't do any long term damage, just don't do it again. make sure you are following the break in procedures to ensure a long engine life though.

mods are 100% up to you as far as 'must haves'. you're wondering how much of an effect an intake will have, honestly you won't be able to notice it, especially if you just got the car and haven't gotten used to its limits. Since you are new to manual, and probably sport driving, you're best performance mod will be to enroll in some driving classes. Not only will it improve your shifting, control, and understanding of driving dynamics, it is by far the most fun you will have with your close on

just keep the shiny side up and enjoy your new baby!
that_one_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to that_one_guy For This Useful Post:
FRSupra (12-21-2012)
Old 12-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
steve87j

Drives: Scion FR-S RAVEN
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just bought mine as well!! RAVEN MT! WOot!

All thanks to joop1987 for telling me where he saw one in NJ!

BTW guys:

Who got the toyota extra care?

6 years 125,000 mile warranty for $17 a month? thats insane? im thnking about adding it?
-thoughts?

Also what modifications can we do that wont efect warranty? i REALLY want a new headunit and speaks : )
steve87j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
bluecollarfrs

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Speaks...??
bluecollarfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
Eurasianman
Chief

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I assume, by using one of my special senses, that speaks is short for speakers.

Aside from extended warranty and mods... That's like asking for more horsepower, while keeping your current MPG. If you're going to mod your car, I would not bother with the extended warranty.

Just saying.

Eurasianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
bluecollarfrs

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Ooo I see what he did. Yea, speaks is much shorter.
bluecollarfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Redline360

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve87j View Post

6 years 125,000 mile warranty for $17 a month? thats insane? im thnking about adding it?
-thoughts?

Also what modifications can we do that wont efect warranty? i REALLY want a new headunit and speaks : )
Congrats on your new car!

From my experience, the extra warranty does give you peace of mind and technically they can't void your warranty when you modify your car unless if they can prove that modification caused the failure.

With that said, good luck. It varies from dealer to dealer, but if someone is having a bad day and denies your warranty due to a modification, you need to go through hoops to get them to "cave in".

So basically it depends on your luck. I'd look for a modification friendly dealer in your area. Might be worth to become friends with a service adviser and get their opinion and see if you could get something in writing.
Redline360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
joelg

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Quote:
BTW guys:

-thoughts?

I just got my whitout 6MT yesterday! I went in to the dealer to do paperwork ready to turn down all the extra packages I knew they were going to offer me. They went through the thousand dollar wheel scratch protection, the $800 anti theft sticker they would put on my car blah blah blah. But then they offered me that same 6 year 125,000 mile platinum coverage warranty for $1,150 (I seem to remember this warranty option being offered on my moms new 2006 prius for around $4,000) and I actually ended up doing it. I did it for a few reasons though and heres why:

1. peace of mind, for obvious reasons.
2. It was tax free at the time of purchase (that might not apply to you because you already bought the car).
3. They let me finance it which works out to about an extra 30 bucks a month over 36 months.
4. There is A LOT of electronics in this car. This car is a little too smart for its own good in my opinion and if something electrical goes out your looking at a lot of cash to get your car working again unless you know electronics very well.
5. and this was the main reason. If I decide to sell the car down the road before the warranty expires I'll have 2 options, those being sell the warranty to the buyer of the car, or sell what I have not used back to the dealer. If you have 500 days left on the warranty, that works out to about $500 the dealer will give you for the early termination.

Sorry for the long winded response but I hope it helps you with your decision. BTW all scions should come with toyota care. Hope your dealer gave you the 2 years.
joelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Just bought mine as well!! RAVEN MT! WOot!

All thanks to joop1987 for telling me where he saw one in NJ!

BTW guys:

-thoughts?

That $17/month seems too low. Better double-check.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
FRSupra

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
Just bought my FR-S TODAY!!
Asphalt Gray 6MT . couldn't be happier. just had to buy my first car before the end of the world (/sarcasm).

Question, I already slightly burnt my clutch getting used to it (I can drive stick but not well yet). The I accidently drove a block with my handbrake on my accident. How bad of an effect will this have on the car for future reference? Also what do you guys consider the definite mods I should consider? As of right now I am only thinking tint, HIDs and an exhaust (does intake make much of a difference on this car?).
Thanks

I'll post pictures tomorrow as theres no sunlight. and maybe a review in the future as I have more time with it (coming from my brothers g35coupe and driven several other cars I can compare with).
Congratulatons on your purchase, I also recenetly aquired my fr-s! Your post was a little alarming, please try and take it easy on your fr-s, not only for the car but for your sake as well. If I were you I'd take a second to step back and think about what you have and maybe appriciate it a little more before rushing into mods. If you can, practice shifting more in a less relevant car. Just focus and go easy on it...
FRSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
steve87j

Drives: Scion FR-S RAVEN
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelg View Post
I just got my whitout 6MT yesterday! I went in to the dealer to do paperwork ready to turn down all the extra packages I knew they were going to offer me. They went through the thousand dollar wheel scratch protection, the $800 anti theft sticker they would put on my car blah blah blah. But then they offered me that same 6 year 125,000 mile platinum coverage warranty for $1,150 (I seem to remember this warranty option being offered on my moms new 2006 prius for around $4,000) and I actually ended up doing it. I did it for a few reasons though and heres why:

1. peace of mind, for obvious reasons.
2. It was tax free at the time of purchase (that might not apply to you because you already bought the car).
3. They let me finance it which works out to about an extra 30 bucks a month over 36 months.
4. There is A LOT of electronics in this car. This car is a little too smart for its own good in my opinion and if something electrical goes out your looking at a lot of cash to get your car working again unless you know electronics very well.
5. and this was the main reason. If I decide to sell the car down the road before the warranty expires I'll have 2 options, those being sell the warranty to the buyer of the car, or sell what I have not used back to the dealer. If you have 500 days left on the warranty, that works out to about $500 the dealer will give you for the early termination.

Sorry for the long winded response but I hope it helps you with your decision. BTW all scions should come with toyota care. Hope your dealer gave you the 2 years.
Yea, the warranty does seem worth it, I think when I go back for a full tank ect I'm going to ask this:

I'll sign up for warranty if you sign an addendum saying i can alter speaker and head unit?

I would love to make some exterior modifications and 100% headunit swap. though i the voids my warranty thats effing BS.

doing the mods yourself is the most fun part : )

what are some easy cheap mods we can do without effecting warranty at all?
steve87j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
L3P47

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the FR-S world man.
L3P47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
joelg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
That $17/month seems too low. Better double-check.
Probably 17/month x 72 months=$1,224. Sounds about right. $75 more than I payed for 72 months of platinum protection actually.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #14
joelg

Quote:
Yea, the warranty does seem worth it, I think when I go back for a full tank ect I'm going to ask this:

I'll sign up for warranty if you sign an addendum saying i can alter speaker and head unit?

I would love to make some exterior modifications and 100% headunit swap. though i the voids my warranty thats effing BS.

doing the mods yourself is the most fun part : )

what are some easy cheap mods we can do without effecting warranty at all?
I highly doubt you will get them to sign anything like that haha, dealerships like the ball in their court %100 of the time. On the up side, if you pay someone to put in the head unit, it will probably come with a warranty of its own. Audio electrical fixes will probably be the cheapest and easiest in the long run.