follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2023, 02:12 AM   #1
Humphrey

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ (JSRC)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Traction control on left turns

Traction control kicks off on left turns at a much lower angle of a turn compared to right turns. The car turns on traction control and jerks me and stops me from turning further.

I recently upgraded to 17x9 gramlights and continental extreme contacts dws06 plus.

I had the car put on the alignment machine and have reset the VSC memorization but the problem is still here.

Not only have I driven this car at a point where it felt fine on left turns. I also have another BRZ that has worse tires and the car does nothing similar.

Maybe someone can spot an issue in the alignment below but I’ve been told it’s ok.

Here’s some other posts with a similar problem:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116104

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show....php?p=3254205

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...=149411&page=2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:00 PM   #2
thatweebaaron

Drives: 18' BRZ
Garage
Wrong thread: help anyway

wrong thread, this is the buy/sell group.

IDK who told you that alignment was good but I can only assume it was Hellen Keller

You're supposed to have more camber in the front than rear. The rear is more affected by dynamic cambering so I can assume your car has been understeering like unholy hell. (I did the same my first trackday)

On top of the fact that your rear right wheel has almost a 3/4° difference than your left doesn't help.

Here's a good alignment that works well for me on 80% street and on 20% track for starting out.

Front:
Camber: -2.25°
Toe: 0°

Rear
Camber: -1.0°

Best of Luck!
thatweebaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:19 PM   #3
Humphrey

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ (JSRC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatweebaaron View Post
wrong thread, this is the buy/sell group.

IDK who told you that alignment was good but I can only assume it was Hellen Keller

You're supposed to have more camber in the front than rear. The rear is more affected by dynamic cambering so I can assume your car has been understeering like unholy hell. (I did the same my first trackday)

On top of the fact that your rear right wheel has almost a 3/4° difference than your left doesn't help.

Here's a good alignment that works well for me on 80% street and on 20% track for starting out.

Front:
Camber: -2.25°

Rear
Camber: -1.0°

Best of Luck!

Thanks for the reply, I’ll be ordering camber adjustments now. And I’ll be moving this thread for more advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 05:48 PM   #4
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatweebaaron View Post
Depending on use / suspension and on twins it's other way around, at least on stock suspension, lowering gains overall negative camber, but still there is more in rear, and as stock our cars have only toe adjustment, not toe.
Factory OEM alignment Stock Alignment
SERVICE DATA (2013 FR-S)_SPECIFICATIONS_ ALIGNMENT _ HANDLING DIAGNOSIS.pdf
Front:Camber: 0 +/- 45' (0 +/- 0.75°) (Right/Left Difference: 0°45' (0.75°) or less)
Caster (Reference): 5°54' (5.90°)
Steering Axis Inclination (Reference): 15°31' (15.52°)
Toe (Each Wheel): 0°00' +/- 0°11' (0.00° +/- 0.19°)
Toe (Total): 0 +/- 3.0 mm (0 +/- 0.1181 in.)
Rear:Camber: -1°12' +/- 45' (-1.20° +/- 0.75°) (Right/Left Difference: 45' (0.75°) or less)
Toe (Each Wheel): C + D: 0°10' +/- 0°15' (0.16° +/- 0.24°)
Toe (Total): 2.0 +/- 3.0 mm(0.0787 +/- 0.1181 in.)

So "stock" is 0deg camber in front, -1.2deg in rear. Is it understeery (safer and common in modern cars) and is more negative camber in front prefered by many on track for less understeer-ish grip balance and better front tire wear & grip? Certainly. But stock-like / normal. For just daily driving on public roads excessive negative camber not needed, and may rather add few cons, like worse braking, camber wear and if one normally drives on public roads in fashion to benefit from track-like camber, then it probably is in license-loosing fashion endangering driver and other people.

I'd probably still even on stock car add for cheap front camberbolts to enable dialing a bit more negative front camber & gain that adjustability itself. Not excessively, but a bit more and even.

But different car behaviour in turns .. yes, i don't like toe in alignment. Looks like sloppy shop job. Even stock, twins (and most cars) have toe adjustment, and there is little excuse to not have more precise and even dialed toe settings (which are very noticeable on impact on handling even with small changes). I assume, that you check pressures on regular basis? (and hoping that shop did proper job of evening out them prior doing alignment too). Apart from
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote