follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 06-22-2018, 01:37 AM   #15
Carlos.z

Drives: Limited brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Arco and mobil made my crickets go wild.
Shell and chevron is what i mostly use.
The 76 near me is a hit or miss with the crickets, but never too bad and costco when its not packed.
Carlos.z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:10 AM   #16
firekat

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ tS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

There are a couple of Arco stations around me that are substantially lower in price than other gas stations. The last time that I filled up at the Arco station I noted the "This Fuel May Contain up to 10% Ethanol" placard on the pump where the gas nozzle sits.

That might be why it's cheaper, and different performance.

Filling up at the local Chevron and Shell stations they did not have that placard anywhere on the pump that I could see.

There is some banter about that says if you're running pure gasoline you will not get crickets.

"YMMV"
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:16 AM   #17
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,244 Times in 8,612 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firekat View Post

There are a couple of Arco stations around me that are substantially lower in price than other gas stations. The last time that I filled up at the Arco station I noted the "This Fuel May Contain up to 10% Ethanol" placard on the pump where the gas nozzle sits.

That might be why it's cheaper, and different performance.

Filling up at the local Chevron and Shell stations they did not have that placard anywhere on the pump that I could see.

There is some banter about that says if you're running pure gasoline you will not get crickets.

"YMMV"
They are 10% also.

ARCO is cheaper because cash only. Shell and Chevron have always been known for being over priced. 99.9999% chance all the gas in your area comes from one refinery.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (06-22-2018), Tcoat (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 02:58 AM   #18
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
They are 10% also.

ARCO is cheaper because cash only. Shell and Chevron have always been known for being over priced. 99.9999% chance all the gas in your area comes from one refinery.
This, I guess that also influence the gas prices for the area too since same refinery = same price....

The one thing I don't understand is how gas in vegas is getting so close to cali price now....*still 40 cents cheaper but it used to be like almost a dollar cheaper just 2 years ago...
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:21 AM   #19
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
This, I guess that also influence the gas prices for the area too since same refinery = same price....

The one thing I don't understand is how gas in vegas is getting so close to cali price now....*still 40 cents cheaper but it used to be like almost a dollar cheaper just 2 years ago...
Nope. Same refinery does not mean same price. Ironically the larger chains that tend to charge the most for gas are also the ones that buy in so much bulk that they pay the least at wholesale.

Did Nevada sneak a fuel tax into the price sometime in those two years? The biggest discrepancy in regional fuel prices is not usually the cost of the fuel itself but all the taxes and surcharges the local government tacks on top of it.
chaoskaze (06-22-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 04:50 PM   #20
Calidrifter
@Executive_chicken

Drives: Firestorm FR-S, Audi A3 E-tron
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
When I was married I would use Arco/Costco/Ralphs/Thrifty they all seemed the same. No real big issues just louder crickets. Now that Im single Ive been living that Shell/Chevron/76 life. I also sometimes fill partial Trick racing 100 to get 97 rating but that shits like 10+ per gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
That guy, like me after BBQ Thursdays, is full of shit.
Calidrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:23 PM   #21
e_lunatic

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Garage
I fill up with whatever the Von's gas station uses. havent had any problems and its cheaper than most gas stations around plus i get discounts on top of it from grocery shopping
e_lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to e_lunatic For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (07-17-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #22
Simok

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I only use Chevron or Shell. My dad worked at the Chevron refinery for 30+ years and he says its not all the same, however he could be bit biased. And both of the offer rewards programs where you earn points for shopping at ralphs or vons.

I had a old beater sentra that I would dill up with whatever was cheapest and i would notice when filling up with cheap gas like usagas it seemed like I would get less miles out of a tank. Never noticed much of a difference with name brands tho.
Simok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:16 AM   #23
elekidcircus

Drives: 13 Scion FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Check engine light went off after continuously using arco(Used mainly because its a block away from me and high gas prices). Switched to Shell Vpower and its gone

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
elekidcircus is offline   Reply With Quote