follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #71
ravenblackfrs

Drives: 2013 Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
That looks like shit....
Old 01-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #72
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
Lol. In other news:

gm screws over v6 camaro sales with its new sports car! Either that, or, New gm sports car a huge flop!

Same price point, same kinda car.
not really! camaro is a "pig" overweight,and does not handle well in turns.
it's basically just a heavy cruiser,with a big engine. as you know,frs is much different from that...just sayin'
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #73
Trojan_SC

Drives: '14 Monogram FR-S(RIP)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
First the C7 Corvette is a knock off of several cars (Ferrari 599 front, Camaro rear, Evora top), now this BMW 1 Series knock off? Oh GM how you disappoint me constantly.
Trojan_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trojan_SC For This Useful Post:
russv (01-18-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #74
SilentAngel

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhound View Post
Off-topic, but you should probably change that to "other companies make a better product, but an uneducated consumer base still continues to buy the obsolete machine" :P

BACK ON TOPIC:

*sigh* The usual domestic hate coupled by misguided notions that American cars only go straight. :/ While that has been largely true for most of the US's car history, GM especially has been trying to change how people view American cars. The CTS-V and Corvette ZR1 have been reviewed to be just as able in the corners as most other European Halo Cars. The presenters of BBC's Top Gear especially have exclaimed how they've almost surpassed European marques.

The Corvette ZR1 especially can be considered the FR-S/BRZ/GT86 of the Super Car world, because it's fairly simplistic, is actually available with a proper manual stick, and much less expensive that other foreign cars while still being faster than them. The whole "leaf springs" thing is a misconception of how Top Gear reviewed the Corvette C5, not the current C6 which uses double wishbone suspension. Even so, the choice of using leaf springs and other older technologies was to cut the cost while engineering them in a way that they could still provide impressive cornering. The C7 is probably going to be the final nail in the coffin, since it's slated to be made entirely of carbon fiber.

All of these things together, point to this new Chevy being an able competitor against the twins. It all just depends on how much effort they put into it, because they do have the potential to build something to surpass the twins.
That is y i said "TYPICALLY", if u read my comment, i said

"I'm just thinking it would basically have to be a smaller cheaper corvette... otherwise how would it compete with the FR-S/BRZ? Not trying to be offensive but typically american cars aren't made to handle corners"

Ford GT would be another example of a really amazing american car. but in the price range of the FR-S/BRZ idk that they will be able to make it work. No american car in that price range has been "excellent or good" in corners, time will tell.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #75
FRSGT86

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S, 2005 Dodge Ram
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
No matter how good of a "FR-S killer" this turns out to be, if they don't give some style, I can't see it gaining much traction out side of the die hard GM crowd. I would still have to look at it before I got in to drive it and that's where GM fails on most of their cars for me today.

I was a dyed in the wool Chevy man for years, I still own a 77 Z28 Camaro. It still has some decent lines to it and decent performance for it's day (the hight of excessive smog emission equipment and de-tuning).

Today the only GM cars i would even consider are the CTS-V coupe or the Corvette, but I got my FR-S for what would have been the down payment on either of those and I don't feel like I missed a thing. I know it's an apples to oranges comparison, but I got no regrets with my choice.

Still if we do see some competion in the RWD sports area it's got to be a good thing because it will force all the competitors to raise their game!

2013 FRS 6AT in Raven!
FRSGT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #76
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAngel View Post
I'm just thinking it would basically have to be a smaller cheaper corvette... otherwise how would it compete with the FR-S/BRZ? Not trying to be offensive but typically american cars aren't made to handle corners..
Might be kind of sweet if they put the 300 hp V6 out of the Camaro in this car.

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:14 PM   #77
Accurate Race Shop

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan_SC View Post
First the C7 Corvette is a knock off of several cars (Ferrari 599 front, Camaro rear, Evora top), now this BMW 1 Series knock off? Oh GM how you disappoint me constantly.
All but BMW I expected they are partnered with Ferrari on many projects mostly suspension they owned lotus for a bit and they own Chevy taking what they like from them saves money on designing new this helps drive the price of the car down. Many things in the FR-S are not new designs to keep this car the great value it is.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Accurate Race Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #78
SilentAngel

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by russv View Post
Might be kind of sweet if they put the 300 hp V6 out of the Camaro in this car.
yea, that'd be kool if they managed to make it light weight with that engine i'd recommend it to a couple of my friends, i got no problem with american made cars, almost but a v6 mustang, just ended up with the FR-S instead. lol got a friend thats a chevy fan and i'm getting him to check out more imports so that he can learn more about different types of cars but has only dealt with american cars, so if they make this car and its successful it'd probably be perfect for him.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #79
Trojan_SC

Drives: '14 Monogram FR-S(RIP)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper View Post
All but BMW I expected they are partnered with Ferrari on many projects mostly suspension they owned lotus for a bit and they own Chevy taking what they like from them saves money on designing new this helps drive the price of the car down. Many things in the FR-S are not new designs to keep this car the great value it is.

So you're saying this "fr-s rival" concept does not look like a 1-series? And who owns Chevy? FIAT(company that owns Ferrari) owns Chrysler not GM.

I know the FR-S got some design inspriation from quite a few cars. but there's a difference between taking inspiration in design and blatantly ripping off designs from another automaker's vehicles.
Trojan_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #80
Accurate Race Shop

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan_SC View Post
So you're saying this "fr-s rival" concept does not look like a 1-series? And who owns Chevy? FIAT(company that owns Ferrari) owns Chrysler not GM.

I know the FR-S got some design inspriation from quite a few cars. but there's a difference between taking inspiration in design and blatantly ripping off designs from another automaker's vehicles.
Chevy is owned by GM not Chrysler. Chrysler owns dodge and Jeep not Chevy the Corvette Camaro and Silverado are all GM as well as Cadillac.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:34 PM   #81
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Yup @fatoni this is the concept they displayed last year. I'm kind of shocked they went with the "ugly" 140R.

Here's the specs for the Concept if anybody missed it.

Quote:
CHEVROLET CODE 130R CONCEPT COUPE SPECIFICATIONS

Overview

Model: Chevrolet Code 130R Concept Coupe

Body style / driveline: four-passenger coupe, rear-wheel drive

EPA vehicle class: compact car

Engine

1.4L Ecotec turbocharged DOHC I-4 w/ eAssist

Displacement (cu. in. / cc): 83 / 1364

Bore and stroke (in. / mm): 2.85 x 3.25 / 72.5 x 82.6

Block material: cast iron

Cylinder head material: cast aluminum

Valvetrain: overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder, continuously variable valve timing

Ignition system: individual coil on plug

Fuel delivery: sequential multi-port fuel injectors with electronic throttle control

Compression ratio: 9.5:1

Horsepower (hp / kW): 150 / 110

Torque (lb.-ft. / Nm): 148 / 200

Recommended fuel: regular unleaded

Max engine speed (rpm): 6500

Emissions controls: close-coupled and underfloor catalytic converters; Quick-Sync 58x ignition system; returnless fuel rail; fast light-off O2 sensor

Estimated fuel economy (hwy): 40

Transmissions

6-speed automatic

6-speed manual

Wheels/Tires

Wheels: 20-inch matte gold

Tires: P245/40R20

Dimensions

Exterior

Wheelbase (in / mm): 109.3 / 2775

Overall length (in / mm): 173.1 / 4396

Overall width (in / mm): 71.5 / 1816

Overall height (in / mm): 54.7 / 1390

Track (in / mm):

front: 60.4 / 1535
rear: 61.8 / 1569

Interior

Seating capacity (front / rear): 2 / 2

Headroom (in / mm):

front: 30.7 / 780
rear: 33.1 / 841
I said it before but there is no way it's under 3000lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #82
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
All I can say is based on GM's usual styling - this will make the FR-S interior look luxurious! I can't imagine how much gray and black plastic that will probably have.

I don't think the twins have anything to worry about from anything resembling that concept.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:45 PM   #83
Accurate Race Shop

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
All I can say is based on GM's usual styling - this will make the FR-S interior look luxurious! I can't imagine how much gray and black plastic that will probably have.

I don't think the twins have anything to worry about from anything resembling that concept.
I agree I worked for GM and the only car they could revive under a new name and brand to compete would be the formula fiero it is one of the few cars that fit the bill for small sporty and doesn't cost as much as a small house. They obviously would have to completely redo it like Toyota did to the 86 but if they stuck with light good handling and over 200HP they could have a good car.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #84
OmarGC
My FR-S has 5 gears

Drives: FRS/280z/Tundra
Thanked 1,065 Times in 572 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I think it kinda looks like a mini pickup truck that never finished developing it's bed while in the womb...

Think it'll be as successful as this masterpiece

2JZ - 6870 - stock block - 1000whp?

Instagram: 2jzus
OmarGC is offline   Reply With Quote