follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
DaveFTW

Drives: 2013 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
DaveFTW: My story of how I got my FR-S. TLDR.

I apologize for this TLDR format, didn't proof read, thought I'd share my story.

July 23,2012 I lost my 2005 5 speed M/T Lexus IS300, I've spent easily 15,000 on her. So My story begins on a Monday, I was on my way to work like any other day.
I was driving northbound, I had a green light. Coming into the intersection, Going southbound making a left (The other Car) turned into my car.
I saw she was turning assumed she would stop when she realized what she was doing. I tried to avoid her hitting me by switching to the righter lane.

Here's the thing.... the other car that hit mine SPED into my car, trying to cross the intersection before I would pass making the accident that much worse...
I was hit by a 17 year old girl on my drivers side. spectators told me my car spun a few times than I hit a fire hydrant and a street light poll. both cars are totaled.
I think I hit my head on my driver side window which shattered and I was unconscious for 10 minutes.

My car was directly under the fire hydrant which was shooting water to the left and right of me a few hundred feet, and the noise was so unbearably loud in my car that once I realized what was going on all I could hear was this noise that absolutely sounds like nothing else.
I was trapped inside my car which was filling up with water and I couldn't get out.
My drivers side door was crashed in, and I couldn't even see out of the the passenger side there was soooo much water.
I had just enough room to pull myself out of my drivers side window.

Heres a video someone took Post accident.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kti1fhX4vqg"]Car Crash + Fire Hydrant = NIAGARA FALLS - YouTube[/ame]

2 1/2 weeks later, 50 dealerships called,still recovering from my injuries, I drive from LA area to Palm Springs to pick up my FR-S.
The money I received from my car and injuries I put down 10,000 on my FR-S, which is an amazing feeling. I plan to pay the rest of the car off this year aswell.

Thesis: Accidents suck.
If I were given the opportunity to do it all over again, have the choice to receive a new FR-S in place of my injuries, and car,which my injuries could have been worse.
I hope I would say No.. but I do love this car..

My first Love to my new love
DaveFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveFTW For This Useful Post:
BRZranger (09-03-2012), Lonewolf (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
DaveFTW

Garage
Old 08-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
DaveFTW

Garage
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveFTW For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Geez, you weren't kidding about that sound. I'm glad you are okay
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
DaveFTW (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
Asphaltfrs1

Drives: 2013 asphalt fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Bitter sweet. I'm glad it wasn't worse, just look at the glass half full. You'll have it paid off in a year. Then save what your monthly payment would be every month, and you can mod it however you want.

How was DCH? That's where I bought my asphalt
Asphaltfrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Asphaltfrs1 For This Useful Post:
DaveFTW (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
WatchmaN

Drives: the girls crazy
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wow what a story, glad you are okey. And contrat for your car.
WatchmaN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WatchmaN For This Useful Post:
DaveFTW (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
DaveFTW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Geez, you weren't kidding about that sound. I'm glad you are okay
Crazy right? I'm ok now thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphaltfrs1 View Post
Bitter sweet. I'm glad it wasn't worse, just look at the glass half full. You'll have it paid off in a year. Then save what your monthly payment would be every month, and you can mod it however you want.

How was DCH? That's where I bought my asphalt
Exactly! half full all the way. I actually wasn't able to make a deal at DCH they were asking over 40 for the FR-S.. with wheel mods, tint and side skirt, and rear spoiler. I told them for that price I could supercharge, and body work myself , but I did take that picture at that dealership, and mine looks exactly like that one does

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchmaN View Post
Wow what a story, glad you are okey. And contrat for your car.
thanks
Old 08-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
Exhaust
UCanThrottleMyBody

Drives: 2015 GM 370z Sport
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Crazy story, deep. An IS300, hearing that sounds as painful as the accident itself. Those are hard to come by around here.
Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Exhaust For This Useful Post:
DaveFTW (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Humans drive cars, and unfortunately humans aren't perfect... Life can come unexpectedly, as I've also come to realize.

Hope you are okay... Glad to know that your new FR-S has pulled your mind away from this negative incident.

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas BRZ For This Useful Post:
DaveFTW (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
DaveFTW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas FR-S View Post
Humans drive cars, and unfortunately humans aren't perfect... Life can come unexpectedly, as I've also come to realize.

Hope you are okay... Glad to know that your new FR-S has pulled your mind away from this negative incident.
So true.. Its funny because people get so comfortable when driving that when something like this happens you're in utter disbelief. I didn't even know the other driver was so young until I read the police report.. born in 1996 I think... jeez...

I also lost my wallet somehow, and found my Iphone in the back seat which was knee deep in water, at the time I was most upset about losing my phone hehe
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveFTW For This Useful Post:
Texas BRZ (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
Xanatos

Drives: @redline, '14 BRZ, '98 Forester
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFTW View Post
I also lost my wallet somehow, and found my Iphone in the back seat which was knee deep in water, at the time I was most upset about losing my phone hehe
Wow that story is ! Glad you are ok man. Grats on your new ride!
Xanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
Asphaltfrs1

Drives: 2013 asphalt fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Crazy right? I'm ok now thanks!

Exactly! half full all the way. I actually wasn't able to make a deal at DCH they were asking over 40 for the FR-S.. with wheel mods, tint and side skirt, and rear spoiler. I told them for that price I could supercharge, and body work myself , but I did take that picture at that dealership, and mine looks exactly like that one does

thanks
Wow 40 grand. Mine says dch Toyota of Torrance on the plates. But I'm sure it's the same place. I paid msrp, to think that wheels and body kit at 15k is ridiculous
Asphaltfrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #13
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
So true.. Its funny because people get so comfortable when driving that when something like this happens you're in utter disbelief. I didn't even know the other driver was so young until I read the police report.. born in 1996 I think... jeez...

You're right... Driving becomes second nature for most of us, and when something happens out of the norm, it may come very strongly and suddenly... And hopefully not bitterly, because I understand that no one deserves the punishment.

Well... Glad you're okay.

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #14
Propaganda
Diamonds & Cadillacs

Drives: '13 fr-s, 1974 911s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Damn... thats all I can say. At least it worked out and you're still around.

I live on a block with a somewhat dangerous 4 way intersection which has a stop sign for only one of the roads. People driving on that road rarely see the stop sign even though its in plain view, unblocked. I remember 3 accidents that happened - 1 caused a car to spin out of control and hit a pedestrian, the 2nd was just a bad crunch - both cars slammed the brakes, 3rd..... luck was involved. a big pickup truck driving on the no stop sign road came up as a honda element was running the stop sign (both travelling about 30mph)... it caused the element to spin and flip, sending it down the road. The pickup driver was in shock but was perfectly unhurt. The people in the element were in a worse type of shock, slightly injured but nothing more than a few cuts/scrapes.. the kicker is that the passenger of the element was trying to get all the belongings and stuff together that got thrown about and the driver first asked "how's the car?" .... I was the first on the scene since I live about a 10 second run away. Passers-by (women in particular) were commenting on how the car was gone and that a new car would need to be purchased, etc... I was thinking "wtf is wrong with you, if I was any of them I'd be happy I was not seriously hurt as it could have been much worse for a complete t-bone" ...

One of my friends had his rx7 totaled when some girl made a left when she didnt have the right of way. My first car had a $3k repair when some older woman just straight up drove into the side of my car..

Sorry to thread jack a little, but yeah... just more proof that anything can happen at any time. Sometimes luck helps out a little. Always have to be careful, and because of all that, I changed my driving habits because I never know what other drivers will do.
Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote