follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #1
koopatroopa
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Drives: 2017 BRZ Manual
Location: DFW
Posts: 11
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2017 BRZ Bayson STi style Front Lip

Hey, was looking into purchasing a front lip for my 2017 BRZ. Anyone have experience with this model?

http://www.baysonr.com/FLIP_PU_BRZ17...-brz17-sti.htm

It's 1/3 the price of the OEM version and looks identical other than the badging which I'm not really a fan of anyways.
koopatroopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
Veloist
Senior Member
 
Veloist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Drives: '93 MR2, '20 BRZ tS, '20 Supra
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,324
Thanks: 555
Thanked 1,389 Times in 540 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The finish tends to get a bit shiny and grays over time rather than keeping a true matte finish that the OEM STI Lip has.

Nobody is going to know the difference except for you and people who know the difference between this and the OEM finish. If that doesn’t matter to you, pull the triggger.
__________________
Veloist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Veloist For This Useful Post:
koopatroopa (10-09-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 02:27 AM   #3
TofuJoe
Ohne Titel
 
TofuJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Drives: 2017 BRZ PP ISM
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 684
Thanks: 1,137
Thanked 409 Times in 233 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I installed one. The fit kinda sucked on one side. Enough to where some dremel tool action was necessary. Looks OK though. STI version looks noticeably better. You get what you pay for.
TofuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
mjanmohammad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Drives: Boosted 2017 BRZ PP. GT2860RS, JDL.
Location: Dallas
Posts: 565
Thanks: 97
Thanked 443 Times in 260 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by koopatroopa View Post
Hey, was looking into purchasing a front lip for my 2017 BRZ. Anyone have experience with this model?

http://www.baysonr.com/FLIP_PU_BRZ17...-brz17-sti.htm

It's 1/3 the price of the OEM version and looks identical other than the badging which I'm not really a fan of anyways.
There is a version on eBay that is $109 that I got as a spare. I put it on for track days and events where my real STI lip might be damaged. the fit is mostly fine, uses the same mounting points as the stock lip. you can tell the material is thinner, and a little more prone to flex, but for $109 instead of $499, it exceeds my expectations.
__________________
mjanmohammad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mjanmohammad For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 11:07 AM   #5
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 61,691
Thanks: 54,566
Thanked 90,260 Times in 39,870 Posts
Mentioned: 2243 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuJoe View Post
I installed one. The fit kinda sucked on one side. Enough to where some dremel tool action was necessary. Looks OK though. STI version looks noticeably better. You get what you pay for.
Thank you!
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Andrew025 (10-10-2017), JoeC (02-23-2018)
Old 10-10-2017, 12:06 PM   #6
Nakioki
Member
 
Nakioki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2017 BRZ WR Blue - Performance
Location: Torrance, ca
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
it's not bad.. i didn't have to dremel anything. I had help with my dad when installing. So it's a good idea to get a second pair of hands.

First thing I did was to put the clips on the inner fender and not the screws yet. That way I can position the lip. Once I got it positioned and perfectly aligned with the bumper. I went ahead and drilled the 2-3 holes for the front clips to go in. That held the lip in place. After that I went ahead and screwed the self tapping screws in.

Although... i don't have this lip anymore. Ended up with the real STI lip.





Nakioki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nakioki For This Useful Post:
koopatroopa (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 04:32 PM   #7
EndlessAzure
Senior Member
 
EndlessAzure's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 475
Thanks: 59
Thanked 223 Times in 165 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I recently bought a Bayson R kit 2nd hand recently (TRD Lip, Side Skirts, Spoiler, Spats).

Installation and fitment aren't flawless, but I did not run into any obvious trouble. I didn't need to do any cutting or sanding. It looks fine for what it is and what I paid
__________________
EndlessAzure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:31 PM   #8
spicyricecake
Senior Member
 
spicyricecake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Performance Package
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,107
Thanks: 168
Thanked 425 Times in 228 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakioki View Post
it's not bad.. i didn't have to dremel anything. I had help with my dad when installing. So it's a good idea to get a second pair of hands.

First thing I did was to put the clips on the inner fender and not the screws yet. That way I can position the lip. Once I got it positioned and perfectly aligned with the bumper. I went ahead and drilled the 2-3 holes for the front clips to go in. That held the lip in place. After that I went ahead and screwed the self tapping screws in.

Although... i don't have this lip anymore. Ended up with the real STI lip.







I recently bought one and my fitment was no where near this good. I'm in the process of getting a refund. The lip had 3 inches of gap on one side when lining up, and the "fangs" had a massive gap when flexing it to fit.

overall, awful fitment and I don't recommend it. I've had bayson R lips before on the zenki, and they fit fine but not on the koukis apparently
spicyricecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #9
Nakioki
Member
 
Nakioki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2017 BRZ WR Blue - Performance
Location: Torrance, ca
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyricecake View Post
I recently bought one and my fitment was no where near this good. I'm in the process of getting a refund. The lip had 3 inches of gap on one side when lining up, and the "fangs" had a massive gap when flexing it to fit.

overall, awful fitment and I don't recommend it. I've had bayson R lips before on the zenki, and they fit fine but not on the koukis apparently
Hit and MIss I guess... I read that letting it sit under the sun for a bit lets it settle to its shape due to the shipping. But i don't know...

it didnt last long on my car, i got hit with somethign. It broke. I ended up getting the STI Lip on my car lol.
Nakioki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:22 PM   #10
spicyricecake
Senior Member
 
spicyricecake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Performance Package
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,107
Thanks: 168
Thanked 425 Times in 228 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakioki View Post
Hit and MIss I guess... I read that letting it sit under the sun for a bit lets it settle to its shape due to the shipping. But i don't know...

it didnt last long on my car, i got hit with somethign. It broke. I ended up getting the STI Lip on my car lol.
That's the message I got when I requested for a refund. I have this weekend to try it out but we'll see how it goes...
spicyricecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:05 PM   #11
carsebuco
How do I shift?
 
carsebuco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Drives: '13 GBS BRZ
Location: AZ
Posts: 373
Thanks: 398
Thanked 128 Times in 91 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyricecake View Post
That's the message I got when I requested for a refund. I have this weekend to try it out but we'll see how it goes...
That's the trick I used for mine. I noticed that it was working to let it sit under the sun, so I went and grabbed my heat gun and warmed that bad boy up in no time.
__________________
carsebuco is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold: Bayson R STi Style Side Skirts (ABS) monisan Exterior Parts (Aero, Lighting, Etc.) 7 07-27-2015 09:47 PM
SOLD: Bayson R Side Skirts - TRD Style flipsonic Exterior Parts (Aero, Lighting, Etc.) 6 07-20-2015 01:37 PM
Bayson R TRD Style T Front Bumper Lip in ABS - Sold out for months and twice $? STS-V Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 10 07-29-2014 02:33 AM
about the Bayson R RZ STi Style Full Lip Kit (ABS) athlon816 Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 23 05-07-2014 03:36 PM
Fs: Bayson R STI Style Replica Body Kit (front lip, side skirts, rear spats) ucsmfu Canada Classifieds 6 04-29-2014 12:43 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.