follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-26-2017, 01:32 AM   #4117
keithr

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited (DGM)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone42 View Post
Anyone have a recommended replacement bumper that fits better?

I've searched the thread, and I know people say it can be done with the stock resevoir, and I believe that's sometimes true... sometimes.

But it's not true with mine, hoping there's some options out there!
I think the BRZ is worse than the FRS. Mine fits -- barely. It took some trial and error for sure.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
keithr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:44 AM   #4118
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I've searched the thread, and I know people say it can be done with the stock resevoir, and I believe that's sometimes true... sometimes.

But it's not true with mine, hoping there's some options out there!
I agree with others that the bumper cover fits just fine if you install the pipes precisely. But did you remove (just unscrew) the air guides inside the bumper cover? You are supposed to remove them.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:06 PM   #4119
keithr

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
I agree with others that the bumper cover fits just fine if you install the pipes precisely. But did you remove (just unscrew) the air guides inside the bumper cover? You are supposed to remove them.
I don't remember that step from when I did mine, but it's been a couple years... Did they revise the installation instructions or am I just forgetting that I had to do that?

Old 08-26-2017, 07:12 PM   #4120
keithr

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Is there a dry filter replacement?
If anyone finds one I'd be interested. I'd be perfectly happy to change out paper filters as necessary rather than deal with cleaning the K&N. Maybe it's just me but I do not like cleaning those things, I'd much rather replace. I never found a suitable replacement for the specialty filter I needed on my motorcycle so I kept 3 on hand. I would clean 2 when I could muster the time and patience and then I wouldn't have to screw around with cleaning again for a couple years.

The Following User Says Thank You to keithr For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (08-27-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 04:04 PM   #4121
ozone42

Drives: SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
So I have one vote for an FRS bumper, anyone else?
ozone42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:16 PM   #4122
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithr View Post
I don't remember that step from when I did mine, but it's been a couple years... Did they revise the installation instructions or am I just forgetting that I had to do that?

Check step 5 in the installation manual. FR-S has the air guides inside the bumber, BRZ has air guides are near the radiator.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:43 PM   #4123
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
So I have one vote for an FRS bumper, anyone else?
I recommend re-doing that part of your charge piping. Use assembly lube as directed so the charge pipes are very easy to adjust. Stuff the pipe between the impact beam and the washer reservoir, and use a provided rubber pad.

Push it ALL the way in/up.

Fixed
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:58 AM   #4124
keithr

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
Check step 5 in the installation manual. FR-S has the air guides inside the bumber, BRZ has air guides are near the radiator.

Sounds familiar. That's why I figured I just forgot. :-)
Old 08-29-2017, 11:43 AM   #4125
ozone42

Drives: SSM BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I recommend re-doing that part of your charge piping. Use assembly lube as directed so the charge pipes are very easy to adjust. Stuff the pipe between the impact beam and the washer reservoir, and use a provided rubber pad.

Push it ALL the way in/up.

Fixed
I've done this, two shops have tried, including one that's installed more than one jackson kit.

It ain't happening.
ozone42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:40 PM   #4126
RavioliG
Poor Adult Male

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Is anyone running this kit with an Element tuning built motor with the big valve heads?

Wondering about this kits reliability at 9K rpm.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:46 PM   #4127
twag4

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavioliG View Post
Is anyone running this kit with an Element tuning built motor with the big valve heads?

Wondering about this kits reliability at 9K rpm.

You'd have to use c38 with standard pulley to got those rpm's. The high boost pulley is limited to 8400 rpm, more than that will overspeed the compressor unit itself. Element claims their engine will take it!
Old 09-07-2017, 12:29 AM   #4128
MyGT86Yas

Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ
My experience with 86 speed and Jackson racing

I'm sharing my experience here in case any of you have a 2017 and are looking for their supercharger. I decided to ask 86speed/Jackson racing to refund my money.

I had been researching and looking for a supercharger kit for my 2017 86 in this summer. Around mid July I contacted 86 speed (Malen was the sale representative) and he answered all the questions I had about the Jackson Racing supercharger kit, very informative and responsive. He responded to my emails the same day almost every time. So on July 21 I paid 2,500 as a deposit for the supercharger kit and about a week later I paid full amount for the oil cooler. I was told that the whole kit would take 2-3 weeks to deliver because Jackson racing was still finalizing the tune for the 2017 model. But I was very satisfied with their sale service...until my deposit was sent for the kit.

Two weeks after I placed my order (August 3rd) I emailed Malen asking for an update and he responded "I will check up on this for you". I didn't get a response from him so I waited until August 7th and emailed him again, still no response. I waited two more days and email him again on August 9 and still no response. I got anxious and decided to give them a call on August 11th, one of their sale representatives Christian told me that he spoke with Jackson Racing the day before and the last update was they were waiting for the blower from Rotrex. On the same day Malen responded to my email and said the kit was ready but they still needed to finalize the tune. I was confused because two people from 86 speed were giving me different answers so I called them again. And Christian confirmed that NEITHER the kit nor the tune was ready. Then I asked how much longer would it take. They told me they should receive the whole kit from Jackson Racing on August 31st.

I waited until today although I suspected something went wrong again and they just did not care to let me know. I called them and the reason they gave me this time is the inter-cooler pipes were rubbing against the front bumper on the Jackson racing test vehicles. The pipes will need to be re-designed and re-manufactured. I asked them how long will it take and Malen said THEY DON't KNOW I got pissed and the conversation got heated up. He basically said it's all Jackson Racing's problems and there was nothing that they can do to help me. But my point is they never intend to keep me update on my order, and both time they said they would call me back they DID NOT CALL BACK. And then he said "if you can't wait we can just refund you your money". I was like F you you hold my money for a month and half and now you tell me to get my money back and F off? I got so mad and he sent the ball to Jackson Racing and told their sale director Chris to call me on settling this, and he said maybe Jackson racing would give me a discount because of the situation.

So Chris called and apologized for the delay. And he told me the supercharger kit for the 2017 model is not released yet I was like why 86 Speed told me the kit would be delivered before mid August. And he answered they "expected" to finalize the whole thing by that time but it didn't happen. Then I started questioning him about the tune, the blower, and inter-cooler pipes issues, he admitted that they found out the problem with the pipes fitment back in July but they didn't release the information to anyone. And they "expect" to get the pipes re-manufactured in 2-3 weeks this time So basically at the time I placed my order, they didn't have a blower in stock, they didn't have the tune ready, and they knew the inter-cooler pipes would not fit our cars, yet they told 86 Speed and me to expect to get the kit in 2-3 weeks.
I then asked Chris if they can give me a discount if I continue to wait. He offered me THEIR t-shirt as a compensation for all the delay

I'm sure a lot of you had good experience with them, but my experience was F'king terrible.
MyGT86Yas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:04 AM   #4129
ShawnP19

Drives: 2016 Series.HyperBlue BRZ
Garage
Oh God I'm so sorry, that's a nightmare dude. Here's to getting your money back and maybe going turbo
ShawnP19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:41 AM   #4130
Somerandom18

Drives: 2017 manual BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Oh my good golly.... A t-shirt that's like a spit in the face.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Somerandom18 is offline   Reply With Quote