follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-04-2019, 07:20 AM   #15
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My wife sells insurance. She says if it's bolted onto the car at the time of the accident, it becomes part of the car, therefore you can be reimbursed. That said, I have never openly reported "hey, I'm adding 500 whp to my car, please insure me for the parts, but don't raise my rates because I'm "potentially" inexperienced with those power gains."
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:41 PM   #16
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFL it's Waffle View Post
My wife sells insurance. She says if it's bolted onto the car at the time of the accident, it becomes part of the car, therefore you can be reimbursed. That said, I have never openly reported "hey, I'm adding 500 whp to my car, please insure me for the parts, but don't raise my rates because I'm "potentially" inexperienced with those power gains."
your wife sells global insurance policies?
Old 12-17-2019, 09:20 PM   #17
pcs

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
most insurance companies only cover cosmetic modifications. Adding turbos and superchargers (this is the FI forum after all) is usually a no-go unless you have a specialty carrier for a collector car. It's generally an eligibility thing that would only be considered with underwriter approval. The vast majority of insurance companies are looking to insure regular vehicles, not a frs/brz that has an extra 300whp.

On the flip side, if you get into an accident and you have $20k in mods to your car, it's not reasonable to expect your own insurance company to cover the extra $20k in mods. They've been charging you premiums based on an estimated total loss of $18k or whatever, not $18k + $20k in mods. Nothing is free!

Now... if someone else hits you and they're liable, then you should absolutely expect to be made whole again, and their insurance company should cover your car as-is (up to their policy limits).
pcs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pcs For This Useful Post:
Busybee (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 12:46 PM   #18
j_ros94

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs View Post
most insurance companies only cover cosmetic modifications. Adding turbos and superchargers (this is the FI forum after all) is usually a no-go unless you have a specialty carrier for a collector car. It's generally an eligibility thing that would only be considered with underwriter approval. The vast majority of insurance companies are looking to insure regular vehicles, not a frs/brz that has an extra 300whp.

On the flip side, if you get into an accident and you have $20k in mods to your car, it's not reasonable to expect your own insurance company to cover the extra $20k in mods. They've been charging you premiums based on an estimated total loss of $18k or whatever, not $18k + $20k in mods. Nothing is free!

Now... if someone else hits you and they're liable, then you should absolutely expect to be made whole again, and their insurance company should cover your car as-is (up to their policy limits).
Going back on this. If it is gonna be written off, my insurance would pay me for the value of the car?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
j_ros94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:45 PM   #19
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ros94 View Post
Going back on this. If it is gonna be written off, my insurance would pay me for the value of the car?

They will give you the book value of the car. They do not give you replacement value or what you still owe unless your policy covers that.
Busybee (02-20-2020), Dadhawk (03-01-2020), HachiRokuX (02-20-2020), j_ros94 (02-20-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 12:52 PM   #20
pcs

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ros94 View Post

it ends up being the market value of the car, typically unmodified unless you purchased coverage for that (if you don't pay for additional coverage, you don't get additional coverage, as the carrier didn't collect premium to cover those parts).

If you owe more than the car is worth, you're still responsible from the balance on the loan, unless you have gap coverage through the insurance company (can also be on the loan / lease).
pcs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pcs For This Useful Post:
j_ros94 (03-01-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 01:47 PM   #21
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
They will give you the book value of the car. They do not give you replacement value or what you still owe unless your policy covers that.
This. Plus you really should just read your policy. Every one can be different. For example, my policy with USAA includes a 20% bump if the car is totaled under coverage.

In the end though, the policy should spell it out.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-01-2020)
Old 08-10-2021, 03:19 PM   #22
jeepmor

Drives: 84 CJ7, 08 Duramax, 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
This. Plus you really should just read your policy. Every one can be different. For example, my policy with USAA includes a 20% bump if the car is totaled under coverage.

In the end though, the policy should spell it out.
Best answer.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeepmor For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-10-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 12:44 AM   #23
irax

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ WRB
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
You have Progressive? They cover up to 6k in upgrades automatically.
As a licensed agent for Progressive I have to clarify, we cover up to 1k automatically when you have comprehensive and collision. You can buy up to 5k additionally without having to insure the vehicle for a stated value. You can insure the car for more based off of stated value but be ready to have receipts.

Though if you buy insurance from an independent agent they may include a higher value of coverage. But from Progressive direct you have to let us know you need more than the 1k coverage.
irax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to irax For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 01:02 AM   #24
irax

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ WRB
If you have questions about the coverages of your policy you should reach out to your own insurance company. Coverages very from state to state and this is due to each states regulations and needs. Don't assume you have aftermarket parts coverage. And don't assume someone else's insurance will cover your aftermarket parts. Some insurance companies will not pay out for aftermarket parts coverage even if their client was at fault unless you have that coverage on your own policy.

Yes everyone wants cheap insurance, but you always get what you pay for. So keep in mind just because the rates are low doesn't mean that quality of service is high, or done right, or efficiently. But if you don't tell your agent that you need the extra parts covered your claim could be denied because you misrepresented the value of the vehicle which means the premiums were calculated and collected for the wrong level of risk. So, its worth paying what can be as little as $10 a month on top of your policy to protect your $30k total investment.

THIS GOES FOR ENGINES AND TRANSMISSIONS TOO!

Last edited by irax; 08-21-2021 at 01:59 PM.
irax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to irax For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-20-2021), soundman98 (08-20-2021)
Old 02-26-2022, 11:00 AM   #25
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
I'm confused, is it a threat or an assurance?