follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-16-2019, 08:43 PM   #743
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Yep, if it don't tick, it may be too tight, if it ticks loudly, it may be too lose, so, a mild tick is jest riiiight -

Besides, with one hand on the wrench and one hand on the screwdriver, which hand is holding the feeler gauge?

humfrz
Exactly. And this is also why the injector noise from the FRS still freaks me out to this day. Sounds like things are too damn loose.
Dadhawk (01-17-2019), Gunman (01-17-2019), humfrz (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 08:54 PM   #744
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Exactly. And this is also why the injector noise from the FRS still freaks me out to this day. Sounds like things are too damn loose.
Yep, isn't it surprising how much we relied on our ears to tune and check the general well being of a car's engine and drivetrain.

I'm ah feared that knowledge/skill will be largely lost when our generation passes.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-17-2019), Tcoat (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 10:50 PM   #745
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yep, isn't it surprising how much we relied on our ears to tune and check the general well being of a car's engine and drivetrain.

I'm ah feared that knowledge/skill will be largely lost when our generation passes.

humfrz
It's going faster than you think.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-16-2019), Ultramaroon (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #746
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
I'm bringing mine to Longo in March (a little before my registration is due).

Can you post back with your experience and how your car is when you get it back?

I also called Longo a few times and spoke with different advisors, one told me they dont offer rental cars, another did. One person told me 4-5 hours and another person said 4-5 days. So it seems not all the service advisors are that knowledgeable about this recall, but a few are.
The service rep who wrote up the service recall order said 4 to 5 days and I did get rental car.
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:39 AM   #747
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Quote:
And, does that not bother you?? -

humfrz
Yeah it does bother me. But what can I do? not get it fixed? Even though at 65000 miles I had no problems with the car. I have to be patient.What bothers me the most is the crappy valve springs that Subaru installed. The car should have never been partnered with Subaru. It should have been an all Toyota car. Good Luck to the people who are buying the Supra with the BMW motor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grateful Dave For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #748
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dave View Post
Yeah it does bother me. But what can I do? not get it fixed? Even though at 65000 miles I had no problems with the car. I have to be patient.What bothers me the most is the crappy valve springs that Subaru installed. The car should have never been partnered with Subaru. It should have been an all Toyota car. Good Luck to the people who are buying the Supra with the BMW motor.
Not to worry, five hours, five days - depends on what we find when we open it up...

I ask a young surgeon once, just before he was about to remove one of my kidneys with cancer "how long will the operation take?".

He wisely replied "it will take as long as it takes".

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Grateful Dave (01-17-2019), Ultramaroon (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #749
S. Snake

Drives: 13' Asphalt
Quote:
I'm just going to go out on a limb here and state that this car is mostly Subaru parts bin stuff as far as the drivetrain is installed (with the exception of the D4S system) and in Subaru's defense they make extremely reliable vehicles even if the spark plugs are hard to change. I'm totally willing to give them a pass on the valve springs thing because as far as internal engine recalls go (I'm looking at you Focus RS headgasket) the failure rate is pretty small.

If this car was all Toyota it would have been a FWD abomination (I'm looking at you last generation Celica), and nobody wants that.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
ScionWolf (01-17-2019), Ultramaroon (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 12:33 PM   #750
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I was expecting to hear reports of oil spewing all over the place. I'm really encouraged by the success stories from the early volunteers.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #751
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Snake View Post
I'm just going to go out on a limb here and state that this car is mostly Subaru parts bin stuff as far as the drivetrain is installed (with the exception of the D4S system) and in Subaru's defense they make extremely reliable vehicles even if the spark plugs are hard to change. I'm totally willing to give them a pass on the valve springs thing because as far as internal engine recalls go (I'm looking at you Focus RS headgasket) the failure rate is pretty small.

If this car was all Toyota it would have been a FWD abomination (I'm looking at you last generation Celica), and nobody wants that.

If I remember correctly Mr. Toyoda wanted a rear wheel drive econo sports car. and Subaru wanted an all wheel drive car. Production of the car was held up for 18 months because Subaru wanted an All wheel drive which they are known for. After Toyota built a mock up of the car, Subaru finally agreed to do a rear wheel drive and realizing they could enter the Japanese sports car circuits.
Toyota Corp. owns 14% of Fuji Heavy Industries which owns Subaru. Subaru makes boxer motors and that's what Mr. Toyoda wanted. Subaru had a plant sitting idle, so they built it at the Subaru plant. Subaru designed the suspension and motor but with the Toyota specs 86x86 pistons. Toyota Tada San designed the car with the Lexus D4S, the Automatic transmission minus 2 gears and rear end. It was a convenience for Toyota to build it with Subaru.
I've always been fond of Subaru but never owned one. At the time, sure why not do it together but I always wanted 100% Toyota. Even if that meant doing an inline 4 cylinder motor so be it. It is what is.
It's an expensive recall for Toyota and especially Subaru. They have the BRZ, the Impreza and the Forester to fix. Oops! Subaru tried to cut corners to save $ and bought cheap Chinese springs from a different supplier. Or it might have been new design and that Failed or both. Either way, we got screwed because of it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grateful Dave For This Useful Post:
ermax (01-17-2019), RallySport (01-19-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #752
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I was expecting to hear reports of oil spewing all over the place. I'm really encouraged by the success stories from the early volunteers.
Probably need to give it a month or so to see if they are really that tight, or if there will be weeping and wailing.
The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #753
S. Snake

Quote:
If I remember correctly Mr. Toyoda wanted a rear wheel drive econo sports car. and Subaru wanted an all wheel drive car. Production of the car was held up for 18 months because Subaru wanted an All wheel drive which they are known for. After Toyota built a mock up of the car, Subaru finally agreed to do a rear wheel drive and realizing they could enter the Japanese sports car circuits.
Toyota Corp. owns 14% of Fuji Heavy Industries which owns Subaru. Subaru makes boxer motors and that's what Mr. Toyoda wanted. Subaru had a plant sitting idle, so they built it at the Subaru plant. Subaru designed the suspension and motor but with the Toyota specs 86x86 pistons. Toyota Tada San designed the car with the Lexus D4S, the Automatic transmission minus 2 gears and rear end. It was a convenience for Toyota to build it with Subaru.
I've always been fond of Subaru but never owned one. At the time, sure why not do it together but I always wanted 100% Toyota. Even if that meant doing an inline 4 cylinder motor so be it. It is what is.
It's an expensive recall for Toyota and especially Subaru. They have the BRZ, the Impreza and the Forester to fix. Oops! Subaru tried to cut corners to save $ and bought cheap Chinese springs from a different supplier. Or it might have been new design and that Failed or both. Either way, we got screwed because of it.
I don't feel screwed. Especially because my boosted 13' is a blast to drive and will get it's spark plugs and oil change done for free labor. And I hopefully will get a newish rental to tool around in.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:57 PM   #754
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Snake View Post

The car is far more Toyota "normal" content than many believe.
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71898
Dadhawk (01-17-2019), RallySport (01-19-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 02:03 PM   #755
Cesium Rainbow

Drives: '13 dgm brz
Quote:

Can confirm that nobody taught me a damn thing about how to use my ears in diagnosing a single automotive issue. Like I'd take an indepth course just on using sound as a diagnostic helper if that was a thing.
Cesium Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cesium Rainbow For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 02:10 PM   #756
S. Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The car is far more Toyota "normal" content than many believe.
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71898
To clarify "mostly parts bin Subaru stuff" I was referring to the drivetrain, suspension, certain electronically bits etc. I don't doubt the amount of Toyota "normal" content within the twins. Either way you look at it the Subaru innards could have been replaced by (insert Detroit manufacturer here) and we would be a lot worse off as far as recalls are concerned.