follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-19-2014, 01:51 AM   #1
Live

Drives: Whiteout 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Road Trip Preparation

So, I know you cam look up any old guide on how to prepare your car for a high mileage road trip, but it would be nice to see what you guys think I need to do to prepare for my trip. My trip is going to consist of at least 5,000 miles over the course of a month. I plan on prepping my car beforehand just to make sure I'm set to go.

My car is currently sitting at 22,540 miles on the odometer. My last oil change was at 15,000 miles, so I know it's coming due very soon. I bought this car used as well, so I'm not too terribly sure if any other maintenence was done prior to me buying it at 10,200 miles. Also keep in mind that I have a 6MT as well.

If anyone could help with a small guide, I would really appreciate it. Tried looking up something for road trips but was sadly let down. Thank you again!
Live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:05 AM   #2
Annahra

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Pretty sure there are people on this forum who daily their cars 5000 mi a month. I would just get the oil changed and not worry about it unless you have something crazy going on. I regularly drove my old BRZ (and my Genesis, and my Jetta) 1600-1800 mi over a long weekend without issue.
Annahra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,127 Times in 521 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
change oil, check air pressure, check spare, fill washer fluid/coolant/brake. check cabin filter, and intake filter. I would bring small bag of essential tools and 2 flashlights. power inverters, wifi. and don't forget sunglasses and snacks.

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ML For This Useful Post:
AZP Installs (09-20-2014), Daedex (09-19-2014), FRSBRZGT86FAN (09-20-2014), humfrz (09-19-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 11:16 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Pack less clothes and take more money .....

humfrz

PS - if your car has an active sound tube ...... you might consider plugging it for a long haul ....makes the cabin quieter.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:26 PM   #5
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Take a bottle of decent window cleaner (Sonax, stoners, etc...), some quick detailer, and a stack of microfiber towels.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:05 AM   #6
Live

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
And don't forget sunglasses and snacks.
What kind of young sports car driving guy would I be without shades and a snack?

Alright, but do keep in mind that there will be a lot of drifting happening when I get back home. Which is why I want my car to be prepared when I head out there.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I did a 4000 mile trip last year. There are a few things I wish I had done + a few things that I did right that I'd suggest.

1) Bring a tire inflator kit. Your tire pressure will vary as you go from sea level to 5000 feet elevation.

2) Don't carry useless, heavy items. I brought a cot on my trip so that I could nap at rest stops along the way. Also brought a skateboard which I also didn't ride as much as I thought I would. Ended up being an extra burden loading down my car.

3) Do bring a bucket with your wash mitt, car wash soap, drying towel, and maybe a spray wax to get the car shiny when you pull into cities. Also bug remover.

4) Avoid sandstorms in New Mexico. They aren't really sandstorms, but a lot of sand will get kicked up by the wind there and it will chew up your paint, which brings me to my next point:

5) Plasti-dip your front bumper. It will save your bumper from the inevitable bugs and rock chips.

6) Double check your gps. You don't want to end up going down a agriculture / service road full of potholes.

7) Check the weather. Don't drive through Oklahoma or Texas when it's storming.

8) Bring extra shoes, so that if you get your feet wet you can change and not have to drive with soggy feet.

9) Find a hotel at night in any reasonable looking town. Don't try and drive all night on no sleep and Red Bull. Very dangerous.

10) Do try to call hotels before showing up. You don't want to show up after driving 6 hours and be surprised that all the rooms are booked at midnight.

11) Not sure what state you're from, but be aware that when you get up in the Rocky Mountains you're going to feel a power loss in this NA car. My car didn't want to go much faster than 50 mph on the long uphill out of Denver, CO.

Last edited by radroach; 09-21-2014 at 09:43 AM.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
Live (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
kick tires

throw bag in trunk

drive

No need to over think it, especially on a new car.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:06 PM   #9
Live

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
I did a 4000 mile trip last year. There are a few things I wish I had done + a few things that I did right that I'd suggest.

1) Bring a tire inflator kit. Your tire pressure will vary as you go from sea level to 5000 feet elevation.

2) Don't carry useless, heavy items. I brought a cot on my trip so that I could nap at rest stops along the way. Also brought a skateboard which I also didn't ride as much as I thought I would. Ended up being an extra burden loading down my car.

3) Do bring a bucket with your wash mitt, car wash soap, drying towel, and maybe a spray wax to get the car shiny when you pull into cities. Also bug remover.

4) Avoid sandstorms in New Mexico. They aren't really sandstorms, but a lot of sand will get kicked up by the wind there and it will chew up your paint, which brings me to my next point:

5) Plasti-dip your front bumper. It will save your bumper from the inevitable bugs and rock chips.

6) Double check your gps. You don't want to end up going down a agriculture / service road full of potholes.

7) Check the weather. Don't drive through Oklahoma or Texas when it's storming.

8) Bring extra shoes, so that if you get your feet wet you can change and not have to drive with soggy feet.

9) Find a hotel at night in any reasonable looking town. Don't try and drive all night on no sleep and Red Bull. Very dangerous.

10) Do try to call hotels before showing up. You don't want to show up after driving 6 hours and be surprised that all the rooms are booked at midnight.

11) Not sure what state you're from, but be aware that when you get up in the Rocky Mountains you're going to feel a power loss in this NA car. My car didn't want to go much faster than 50 mph on the long uphill out of Denver, CO.
All of that taken into account. I will have to remember all of that. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #10
ciro

Drives: Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
You are sure right about the lack of power. I went to colorado springs this spring. But you really drove 50 mph in colorado and lived!!! Everyone drive at least 75-80 on what seems like every road.

Pikes Peak recommendation: Leave your luggage in the trunk adds extra weight in the rear for grip you already are slow as hell because of the altitude, drop back in to first gear if you can around the switchbacks around 25mph you will need the extra revs if your car is stock.
ciro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ciro For This Useful Post:
radroach (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #11
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It was pretty funny going uphill, I dropped to 3rd gear and went pretty slow up the mountain, everybody else with V6's or turbos went past me. Then after 20 minutes met the top of the mountain, gave a shout with 2 revs of my engine and flew down the mountain and passed everybody.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote