follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2016, 02:57 PM   #43
Enalband24

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris View Post
Woah! Was your engine going out, or did you just decide to get it built?
It had been in the works since August. My turn just came up! So, off it goes!
Old 01-08-2016, 08:53 AM   #44
k1s3k1

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
your photos are not showing up, can you update them please

would like to see your SA-15R with the 15mm spacer.
k1s3k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #45
Enalband24

Garage
Well, it's been a couple of months here. Time for an update...and a thread title changed as Photon is no longer Vortech boosted, but rather will be FBM boosted!

The engine is done being built, and should be on its way back from element tuning shortly! The bottom end and heads were built.

I am currently performing the necessary modifications to the V161 transmission as to fit it up with the built engine thanks to FBM's V160 conversion kit.

Once the engine is back, it will be dressed up, then dropped in the car with the modified V161 transmission, FBM's custom CM's twin disc clutch, FBM's full fuel system including the return fuel set up, high flow fuel rails, Walbro 485 pump kit (already installed) and ID1300cc injectors, and their stage 2 turbo kit with a GTX3582R turbo.

Lastly, when the build is complete, and finally dyno tuned, I will post a thorough review of the process and the vendors used. As current, the vendors have been excellent - more to follow!

STAY TUNED!!

Last edited by Enalband24; 05-12-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Enalband24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:06 PM   #46
Enalband24

Garage
Ah, forgot to mention, with the build and transmission swap, this means there will be quite a bit of lightly used goodies up for grabs including, DW 700cc injectors, FIC 660cc injectors, PTuning WMI kit with Shorai battery and battery tender and AEM H20/methanol failsafe gauge, DSS carbon fiber driveshaft (MT), planted seat base and rails, sparco sliders, AEM wideband failsafe gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, a set of Eibach lowering springs, and a DW 265c fuel pump. Anyone interested can PM'd for dibs, but official sale threads will be posted shortly. So be on the look out!
Old 04-05-2016, 07:32 AM   #47
Enalband24

Garage
Another update, pictures mostly!

Engine is about 95% dressed up and ready to have the trans bolted up and dropped back in the car. Just waiting on some Velox fuel rail guards and O-rings, then we're ready!

The modifications to the V160 are 99% complete. I just need to modify the trans bushing, as well as splice over the reverse light sensor from the stock trans.

After that, I need to modify the pump housing for the return siphon, solder a couple wires, and install the turbo kit and we're ready to break in the engine!

Lets go!

Old 04-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #48
Enalband24

Garage
Second test fit of trans. Currently adjusting the throw-out bearing clearances. Once that is completed, the engine and trans will be mated and ready to drop in. Just need to modify the rear trans mount, solder the back up light to the existing sensor, and we're good to go!

Old 04-18-2016, 11:02 AM   #49
Enalband24

Garage
Well, it's finally in. Ran into minor issues though, and currently sorting through them. The shift linkage underneath the car is pinched against the top of the tunnel and cannot move. Waiting to hear if I need to pull the engine/trans back out and grind some clearance in the tunnel.

Either way, here's some teasers. Enjoy.

Shifter bracket bolts to transmission through the body...who would have guessed

Still sitting pretty even though half the car is disassembled...needs a bath too lol.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:41 AM   #50
Enalband24

Garage
Well, last weekend, I pulled a late night and pulled the engine/trans to cut some clearance in the tunnel to allow the shift linkage to move freely. Everything went as planned. I cut the clearance and the engine/trans dropped in and bolted up smoothly. Fitment was excellent. I managed to get most of the support systems reconnected to the engine, as well as replaced the entire interior, which was disassembled.

I picked up my oil pan, coolant reservoir, and compressor housing yesterday from the powder-coater. They came out perfect. Wrinkle black for the oil pan and reservoir, and wrinkle blue for the compressor housing. Shoreline coatings does great work.

Lastly, I did a little coating myself this past week with some over the counter ceramic engine paint. All matte black. Coated my inter-cooler, alternator cage, and throttle body. I did all the prep work myself here at my factory. Laid down a nice texture first with some #36 aluminum oxide grit, followed with a blast of #150 aluminum oxide to dull the finish. Came out beautiful in my opinion. Exactly what I was looking for. I plan on coating my idler pulley tensioner bracket as well as the AC condenser when appropriate.

Check it out!

Dropping the engine back in using a load leveler and a 10 ton crane at work . Tip guys, if you ever decide to pull the engine, get a good load leveler, and the stupid service tool hook that bolts up to the engine. These two items made this thing a breeze. I had never pulled/dropped an engine in before. I did not use this when removing the engine and it was a bit harder, dropping it in with it was butter smooth. Enough said.

Engine/Trans back in!

Powder-coated pieces!

My own handy work!

Coolant lines wrapped with heat resistant shielding from DEI.

FBM fuel pressure regulator installed with fuel lines attached. Just need a bracket to make the install cleaner.

Catch cans re-installed in original location. Bracket custom fabricated and painted. Fittings just need to be changed out.

Current state.

The plan is to install the entire turbo kit this weekend, then fire up the car for the first time to bleed the coolant lines, check for leaks, and break in the cams. Then, just waiting on the driveshaft to take her out for the first drive!

Stay tuned!

Last edited by Enalband24; 05-02-2016 at 08:32 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enalband24 For This Useful Post:
NyC Zn6 (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 09:56 AM   #51
slicktop

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS 2JZ-GTE/V160 swapped
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Crazy how high the V160's went up since the discontinuation announcement! Looks like this will be a fun project

2013 Scion FRS
2JZ-GTE/V160 Swap Build Thread
slicktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:08 PM   #52
Enalband24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktop View Post
Crazy how high the V160's went up since the discontinuation announcement! Looks like this will be a fun project
Tell me about it. I opted to pick mine up brand new for the peace of mind. Granted it wasn't from a dealership, but it was still pretty pricey.

Yes, I am excited to get this baby on the road. I'll only be running 10 psi, sub 5K rpm, until everything is broken in, but I will just be happy to be driving it again. It's been a couple 4 months or so. Too long lol.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #53
Enalband24

Garage
OK, so I wasn't able to spend a lot of time on the car this weekend as I had a lot of prior commitments, however, I did get a little done. Also missing a couple last minute miscellaneous parts which is postponing first start until this upcoming weekend.

I was able to bolt up the Racer X Fabrication oil pan and coolant reservoir (both powder coated wrinkle black), the FBM ceramic coated turbo manifold, the Racer X Fabrication Oil thermostatic sandwich plate as well as the TRD sensor plate, the Grimmspeed pulley shield, and lastly, my stealthy intercooler.

On the Racer X Fabrication thermostatic sandwich plate, I cannot have enough praise for this thing. All the cast plates that come with the majority of kits available always pissed me off because the housing adapter nut was ALWAYS recessed in the plate and hard to get a socket on to tighten up properly. The RXF plate, being machined billet, not cast, was designed to allow enough room to get a damn socket on there to tighten it easily to spec - and the option to anodize it your choice in color is the icing on the cake. Enough said.

On the Racer X Fabrication coolant reservoir, this is another piece that is a convenient addition to any set up that is using an aftermarket fan shroud that does not include the mounting holes for the OEM reservoir. I believe Mishimoto has a fan shroud that includes them, but for everyone running an FBM turbo kit who is using the small relocation brackets provided with the kit, this is a nice alternative. Again, I opted to have mine powder-coated wrinkle black as I am not a fan of the brushed, raw aluminum look.

Lastly, I was able to mock up the turbo just to get a feel of the clearances and how long the oil return line will need to be.

Took a couple photos. Enjoy!

Quality right here. Look at that manifold. Good job FBM.

RXF thermostatic sandwich plate with the TRD sensor plate.

RXF coolant reservoir powder-coated wrinkle black.

Intercooler bolted up. Stealthy as F**K. Exactly what I wanted. Don't mind my destroyed bumper lip, there is a splitter that bolts to the bottom hiding that haha. You can also see where my dad backed into my car a month after I purchased it.

Turbo mocked up. Looking good.

Closer look.

Getting closer guys. Stay tuned.

Last edited by Enalband24; 05-02-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #54
nickmerronesucks
Ned flanders

Drives: 13 BRZ, 16 Hellcat, 22 Ram 2500
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
wow so nice
Enalband24 (05-02-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 07:15 AM   #55
Enalband24

Garage
Working 12 hours a day doesn't leave much time to get anything done on the car. So, in the pursuit of getting this thing running, I've been picking off one or two things to do a night after work.

Last night I drilled and tapped the compressor housing in order to run a line to the wastegate directly from the turbo (as it should be), as opposed to from the manifold.

Helps immensely to have a Bridgeport.

Shoreline coatings did a good job powder coating the housing. None of the coating chipped at all while being drilled and tapped.

95% assembled, almost ready to be dropped in permanently.

As said before, stay tuned, every day is a day closer!

Last edited by Enalband24; 05-03-2016 at 07:57 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enalband24 For This Useful Post:
themadscientist (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 07:25 AM   #56
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
A bridgeport? Cool! Oh, not a rotary.

Wait, a Bridgeport? cool!

Very high quality build you are doing, really digging it.
The #1 most beneficial $$ you can spend on this car to go faster is seat time.
Quit trying to out think the engineers and just drive the car.
themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to themadscientist For This Useful Post:
Enalband24 (05-03-2016)

Tags
#firstbuild, #firstsubaru, #moretocome, fbmboosted