follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2020, 06:03 PM   #127
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Or... Just keep the car on recirculate so outside air isn't being forced through the heater core and into the cabin. No it will not stay on that setting but pushing a button after starting the car is not exactly difficult.

Didn't cross my mind. Too late to try it now

The HVAC is on it's way out anyways

ETA, that may solve the issue of the heat coming out of the vents but not heat entering the cabin (Your feet) It's an open loop design.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:25 PM   #128
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Didn't cross my mind. Too late to try it now

The HVAC is on it's way out anyways

ETA, that may solve the issue of the heat coming out of the vents but not heat entering the cabin (Your feet) It's an open loop design.
It pretty much eliminates all the heat coming in. May be a tiny bit of radiant but nothing you would even notice.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:46 PM   #129
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It pretty much eliminates all the heat coming in. May be a tiny bit of radiant but nothing you would even notice.

I've disconnected it and the heat loss was substantial. It made a huge difference in cabin temps IMO.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:35 AM   #130
DucatiGirl

Drives: Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First time 86 owner and first post. Just read all 7 years of this thread and I am no closer to solving the warm air on vent issue. Tried a few suggestions (new cabin filter, various on/off with recirc and low setting switches) except the foil lining thing. Had an MR2 for decades (mid-engine) and a Prius (please don't judge) and neither had this blow dryer set to warm heat on your face setting. Guess it's windows down for a while. Appreciate all the creative/thoughtful suggestions though.
DucatiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:30 AM   #131
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiGirl View Post
First time 86 owner and first post. Just read all 7 years of this thread and I am no closer to solving the warm air on vent issue. Tried a few suggestions (new cabin filter, various on/off with recirc and low setting switches) except the foil lining thing. Had an MR2 for decades (mid-engine) and a Prius (please don't judge) and neither had this blow dryer set to warm heat on your face setting. Guess it's windows down for a while. Appreciate all the creative/thoughtful suggestions though.
Do you have the GT with the automatic/dual zone HVAC? The recirculate method only works on the base models without the auto setting.
I have found that with the upgraded system just setting it to auto at a temperature I am comfortable at will stop most of the warm air form coming in the dash vents. Being auto it of course turns things on and off at what seems weird times but it works.
Bonburner (10-05-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 01:27 PM   #132
bee-jay

Drives: 2014 BRZ LTD WR Blue Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
At times I'll turn on the AC for a few minutes and that seems to cool things down and cut down on the heat from the vents.

It seems to happen most just after a restart. ie home for lunch. warm air out the vents when everything is pretty much off. Outside ambient is cool. Like today. I'll turn the air on for a few miles and that seems to cool off the heater core.

to me it seems like the heater valve doesn't fully close (or core stays hot) and that's where the hot air is coming from.
bee-jay is offline   Reply With Quote