follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 09-06-2019, 07:18 PM   #1
Swift
I just Drive.

Drives: in the womb still
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Real Quick! Identity theft while car buying?

So first off, apparently some dealers WILL NOT do emails. They only want a phone number and want you to be local and walk on the lot. So good luck trying to buy a car in another state and shipping it. One dealer literally lost my purchase because they were douchebags, refused to even list a real email on their site, and would force you to call in so they could obtain phone # from you. I would make mine private before I called and it pissed them off. They probably will sell it off to spam callers.

ANYWAYS: Through ANOTHER dealership, I got a Purchase Order for a different vehicle emailed with correct agreed upon amount listed to show my credit union so they can approve me and wire transfer money. To secure the purchase since bank is closed this time already, I gave credit card info for a $100 deposit. Now they want me to scan drivers license.

Yes, you hand it over for a test drive, but now I am giving a small used dealer almost all info but my SS# . I have had my identity stolen already once. They say once they get confirmation I am who I am to run the card?? They will MAIL me the documents overnight to sign.

It is 2019, can't they legally email me the sale documents to then have me sign electronically or at least I print out, sign, scan, and email back??

I planned on having the bank wire transfer money and that should confirm who I am correct? OR attach my drivers license with an email from bank to cover myself.

THOUGHTS??

-92' Acura Legend 5spd coupe twin turbo project
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
When I sold cars paperwork had to have physical signatures. Or be done in person. Digital signatures are somewhat new in the car industry and many dealers still prefer someone physically being there to sign paperwork and collect the car. If someone was out of state we'd require all info up front and then overnight physical paperwork to them.

Apparently the housing industry has been doing a lot of digital paperwork but at the end / closing you still usually sit down with someone when you collect keys.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #3
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Used car dealers haven't changed in decades, I doubt they will do anything over the internet, even if they know what that is.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:15 PM   #4
Swift
I just Drive.

Thanks guys!!

Reminds me of the Geico commercials with our "parents"...lol

Old 09-06-2019, 08:23 PM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
You are worried about identity theft but complaining that the dealer is insuring you really are who you claim to be both at the same time? Would you make a $20,000 sale over email? There is nothing archaic about it when you view it from the business side of things.

Last edited by Tcoat; 09-06-2019 at 09:33 PM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
NWFRS (10-11-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 08:56 PM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post

THOUGHTS??
Oh, if that's the way they do business, either do business their way or take your business elsewhere -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 09:33 PM   #7
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
THOUGHTS??
https://jalopnik.com/dmvs-across-the...-bi-1837928361

bye bye identity.

but on the plus side, you can likely buy a new one pretty cheaply.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #8
Swift
I just Drive.

I am bumping this slightly to help clarify and if someone else stumbles across this to help educate them.

The "problem" myself and the bank were trying to wrap our heads around is that they would not release any documentation like Bill of Sale or Sales agreement to us via email or even SNAIL MAIL. We figured this would be a good route to go to protect the DEALER'S interest. We would mail back these signed documents with the cashiers check and I.D. image and then they would mail back a Release of Title.

Right? No. I guess people in Virginia do things a little different.

The link to the DMV selling info is really an eye opener since I did have a dealer unwilling whatosoever to deal with me even after I called and said who I was and that I was serious because I had a private number and wanted to negotiate vial email(so it is legally binding). Oh well, lost sale. However, you wonder if they wanted to sell the phone number as well.

Anyways thanks all for the advice. The car purchase should be happening and now trying to get it shipped.

Old 09-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #9
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
yeah, car sales departments are pretty firmly stuck in how they did stuff back in 1960 or earlier. many of them still don't recognize the internet as a viable sales tool, or only use it as lead generation to get someone into the dealership.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #10
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
If you are worried about identity theft, get a security freeze on your credit bureau accounts. Easily done by calling either one of them, although I do prefer TransUnion (even before the Equifax issue). It should prevent anybody from even getting access unless you authorize (I enjoy the 24h period window).
sato is offline   Reply With Quote