follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-11-2018, 09:23 PM   #43
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranran View Post
Any updates? Or an estimate of when the kit will be available?
Nothing extremely noteworthy at this time. We will release more information as we get more data from the beta testers. This takes a lot of time.

Thanks,
Eric
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
dillanp86 (11-17-2018), Joveen (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 12:39 PM   #44
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerusEric View Post
Nothing extremely noteworthy at this time. We will release more information as we get more data from the beta testers. This takes a lot of time.

Thanks,
Eric
I'm excited for this. Keep up the good work guys. I'm definitely saving for this.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:09 PM   #45
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
@VerusEric any updates? A little shy of a year since the beta testers started. Any failures?
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
Joveen (02-09-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 08:21 AM   #46
kill3rwill

Drives: 13 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm also interested in potentially running this setup, need something to hold roughly 600 wheel
kill3rwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:34 AM   #47
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joveen View Post
I'm excited for this. Keep up the good work guys. I'm definitely saving for this.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
@VerusEric any updates? A little shy of a year since the beta testers started. Any failures?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kill3rwill View Post
I'm also interested in potentially running this setup, need something to hold roughly 600 wheel
Hey guys. We have suspended all development on this project. We have basically bankrolled the project for 3-4 years now, put in, I don't even want to think about how many hours but, countless hours, and we no longer wish to continue to put money and time into the project. The longevity and reliability are questionable and we, at Verus, have a hard time selling something without a clear idea of longevity/reliability. There are too many variables, too many other possible failures within the transmission, etc.

For those interested in pursuing this further; I recommend contacting Frana Vehicle Design in Illinois. This is the manufacturer we had been working with.

Thanks,
Eric
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
Joveen (02-12-2019), NV89 (02-12-2019), TachyonBomb (02-12-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 05:28 PM   #48
Norotor

Drives: '13 FRS '18 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerusEric View Post
Hey guys. We have suspended all development on this project. We have basically bankrolled the project for 3-4 years now, put in, I don't even want to think about how many hours but, countless hours, and we no longer wish to continue to put money and time into the project. The longevity and reliability are questionable and we, at Verus, have a hard time selling something without a clear idea of longevity/reliability. There are too many variables, too many other possible failures within the transmission, etc.

For those interested in pursuing this further; I recommend contacting Frana Vehicle Design in Illinois. This is the manufacturer we had been working with.

Thanks,
Eric

First, thanks for putting time and money into this project; even though it got scrapped I think it means a lot that Verus went after this project for the community. Would you be at liberty to get into details regarding longevity/reliability? In your experience do you think a full straight-cut set of 6 gears have the same problems? i.e. the PAR set.
Norotor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Norotor For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (02-14-2019), Joveen (02-13-2019), NV89 (02-13-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 07:42 AM   #49
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norotor View Post
First, thanks for putting time and money into this project; even though it got scrapped I think it means a lot that Verus went after this project for the community. Would you be at liberty to get into details regarding longevity/reliability? In your experience do you think a full straight-cut set of 6 gears have the same problems? i.e. the PAR set.
We have seen issues with the bearings on the countershaft, we've seen issues with shift forks, and we've seen issues with the 4th gear slider coming off the countershaft.

We have a few transmissions still going after 5-10k miles (my transmission being one of them) and seeing tq over 500 at the wheels. Then, we have had units that break in a few thousand miles with parts we did not replace (shift fork, bearings, etc) as well as one that a gear tooth broke off on 3rd gear (inclusion in metal, we replaced it for free).

For all of the reasons above; namely the reliability being a huge concern on parts, we have to suspend the project. We have so many other projects that require our time and effort at this point and this one comes with too many issues and liabilities. I easily have 100+ hrs in this project building and rebuilding 10-12 transmissions through the years.

By all means, contact the gear manufacturer. I have made them aware of everything; they are a US-based manufacturer, but Verus cannot stand behind a product with unknown reliability. The project has always made me personally uneasy but we wanted to fix an issue that plagued the platform as inexpensively as possible; this time the FRS/BRZ won.

Thanks,
Eric
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
flippy (04-21-2022), JohnJuan (02-14-2019), sato (04-26-2020), soundman98 (04-26-2020)
Old 02-14-2019, 11:23 AM   #50
Swift
I just Drive.

Drives: in the womb still
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Here is where I am coming from cuz I see out long term. Alot(in a sense) of these cars have been made. How many S2000's were made?

What I am getting at is that it is hard to source affordable robust transmissions. How many used ones are out there from the S2000 left?

Yes the FA motor is problematic, but if this transmission could be built up and still bolt to the K24 or the LS motors...it could maybe save swappers and guys later some $$$.

So are you suggesting the transmission itself just can't hold power based on drastic revisions of design, or that just all the parts have to be replaced with better? IE: better bearings, billet forks etc.??

Quite interested since I am in manufacturing and a transmission I work with has no aftermarket whatsoever, so thanks for telling us who you have been working with.

-92' Acura Legend 5spd coupe twin turbo project
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:13 PM   #51
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Here is where I am coming from cuz I see out long term. Alot(in a sense) of these cars have been made. How many S2000's were made?

What I am getting at is that it is hard to source affordable robust transmissions. How many used ones are out there from the S2000 left?

Yes the FA motor is problematic, but if this transmission could be built up and still bolt to the K24 or the LS motors...it could maybe save swappers and guys later some $$$.

So are you suggesting the transmission itself just can't hold power based on drastic revisions of design, or that just all the parts have to be replaced with better? IE: better bearings, billet forks etc.??

Quite interested since I am in manufacturing and a transmission I work with has no aftermarket whatsoever, so thanks for telling us who you have been working with.
I've heard some people mention our transmissions have significant bellhousing flex in high power applications. When the housing is flexing, anything you do internally will only delay the problem. I've heard some moderate power builds (up to around 400wtq) have had some success with the PAR gear set but it seems everyone making really big power either accepts they are grenading transmissions or moves onto something stronger.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:07 PM   #52
AutoNewb

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Sterling Silver
Congrats at Verus for this. I didnt know this existed and just read up on posts from last year.

Id love to try it but unfortunately the cost-risk analysis for me as a daily driver is just too much for me. One day.... 400whp+ in our chassis must be monsterous.
AutoNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #53
Swift
I just Drive.

Drives: in the womb still
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
I've heard some people mention our transmissions have significant bellhousing flex in high power applications. When the housing is flexing, anything you do internally will only delay the problem. I've heard some moderate power builds (up to around 400wtq) have had some success with the PAR gear set but it seems everyone making really big power either accepts they are grenading transmissions or moves onto something stronger.

Thanks for the clarification and knowledge.

-92' Acura Legend 5spd coupe twin turbo project
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #54
Silvermk2

Drives: Toyota Supra 2JZGTE VVTi
It seems like it would be a lot more cost efficient to just figure out a way to swap another transmission in like a T56 magnum. Rather than buy a bunch of expensive parts to bolster up the stock transmission.
Silvermk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:28 PM   #55
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermk2 View Post
It seems like it would be a lot more cost efficient to just figure out a way to swap another transmission in like a T56 magnum. Rather than buy a bunch of expensive parts to bolster up the stock transmission.
More efficient just to buy a different car.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:20 AM   #56
olsonpg

Drives: BRZ. R34 GT-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
More efficient just to buy a different car.
Sad but true. As inviting as this platform is, it is an expensive one to play with.