follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2020, 01:02 PM   #29
black bnr32

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny318 View Post
I’m planning to do the same thing with the largest/longest inline muffler or resonator I can find. Either on the front pipe or the mid pipe since it’s longer and could fit a bigger silencer.
This was my plan too but I don’t think much will fit. Maybe the magnaflow 10434. But that’s basically the same as the stock TRD resonator.
black bnr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:16 PM   #30
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,456 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by black bnr32 View Post
Are you sure the 1140 will fit? My TRD cat back measures 2” and the 4.75” diameter body will be awfully tight.
Let post a few pics of how I mounted mine

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:30 AM   #31
Finsky

Drives: BRZ 2014
@jflogerzi Just to give me an idea, how much of the drone would you say you got rid of with the Vibrant resonator ?
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:01 PM   #32
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,456 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finsky View Post
@jflogerzi Just to give me an idea, how much of the drone would you say you got rid of with the Vibrant resonator ?
It's hard for me to compare. I feel most of my noise/drone was from the tomie UEL headers. I then switched to my JDL4-2-1 with the added resonator. Made things much better inside the cabin and going uphill at freeway speeds

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:44 AM   #33
Tanstin

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Might have already been posted, but does anyone have a soundbyte of a JDL 4-2-1 with the CSG Touring86? Been on the fence between that and the perrin

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tanstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:47 AM   #34
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Drives: `12 FRS & `17 BRZ Inazuma
Garage
Here's a quick & inexpensive solution in dampening the exhaust noise:
https://www.designengineering.com/fo...d-42in-x-48in/
https://www.designengineering.com/muffler-shield-kit/

I have a 2019 TRD SE exhaust on my FRS. Last October, we installed the Verus Transmission Tunnel Cover which has a direct contact with the midpipe. I noticed that the exhaust note became a little bit quieter as I could listen to the radio at a lower volume than before & even my family noticed it too. My theory was that the Verus cover was absorbing some of the mid pipe's vibrational energy that affect the natural tonal frequencies of the exhaust pipes. It made me curious to try & dampen the sound even more by wrapping the pipes with heat insulators that way, not only would I be addressing the sound, I'd also be managing the radiant heat as well.

Last weekend, we installed the DEI Form-A-Shield that has a thick layer of basalt thermal barrier material glued onto aluminum along the sections of the front pipe & the mid pipe as it affects the cabin heat esp. in the summer & some portions of the FT86SF uel catted headers (we didn't have time to enclose it fully like a heat shield). I was planning to wrap the resonator too but we didn't have time to do it. Nevertheless, the heat shield on the mid pipe significantly muffled the exhaust note! It sounded more of a muffled bass. Before, I could only hear the exhaust when I'd open up the throttle. Now, I can hear the engine more (sound tube's deleted) & so much lesser of the exhaust. It's like moving from Invidia N1 to Q300.

I wish I had a sound level meter to measure how much noise was muffled by insulating the mid pipe alone. I can imagine that it'll even have more impact when the resonator is wrapped too.

Modding for daily fun & efficiency: Gruppe-S UEL, HKS dual res. FP, STi Per. Muffler, Delicious T. Ecutek tune, Crawford BPB, Grimmspeed CAI, STi Flex T. Bar, TRD Door Stabilizer, DSS aluminum propeller shaft, Verus diffuser & underbody covers, Verus LCA, Perrin bushings, Bilstein B6+RCE Yellows, Michelin PS4S + 18" WedsSport TC105X-summer, Michelin Alpin PA4 +18" Motegi MR140-winter

Last edited by sygfrid; 12-07-2020 at 06:45 AM.
sygfrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:58 PM   #35
Plumbus
Señor Member

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Keeping an eye on this thread. After installing Ace a350 I'm getting some drone with stock FP and perrin 2.5" resonated. It's probably an exhaust leak as there is also an abnormal amount of smell, hopefully that fixes a bit of the smell and the droning. Otherwise I'm kinda interested in the CSG touring.
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:04 PM   #36
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbus View Post
Keeping an eye on this thread. After installing Ace a350 I'm getting some drone with stock FP and perrin 2.5" resonated. It's probably an exhaust leak as there is also an abnormal amount of smell, hopefully that fixes a bit of the smell and the droning. Otherwise I'm kinda interested in the CSG touring.
updating previous post: I just swapped out Perrin 2.5 resonated (with a bunch of miles on it, probably ~75-80k) with a new CSG Touring -- it's a lot quieter and less drony.

My perrin 2.5 developed a bit of drone this year (or, more realistically, finally started to bother me a bit).

I've only driven the car once since install but it's noticeably quieter and more crisp. My only complaint is trying to get the tips lined up with the bumper haha.

I'll try to get some video and post, though I think we all know that cell phone videos don't capture it very well.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:27 PM   #37
Plumbus
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
updating previous post: I just swapped out Perrin 2.5 resonated (with a bunch of miles on it, probably ~75-80k) with a new CSG Touring -- it's a lot quieter and less drony.

My perrin 2.5 developed a bit of drone this year (or, more realistically, finally started to bother me a bit).

I've only driven the car once since install but it's noticeably quieter and more crisp. My only complaint is trying to get the tips lined up with the bumper haha.

I'll try to get some video and post, though I think we all know that cell phone videos don't capture it very well.
Definitely make a video if you can. I got my perrin 2.5 (very) used, no drone with OEM manifold but I think my problem is the gaskets. Glad to hear the csg touring worked well with you, for me the perrin has perpetually misaligned exhaust tips so I guess I'm used to it. they're non-adjustable too as far a I know, sucks.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:34 PM   #38
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yeah mine was always a bit crooked, too, though I installed one in a 2017 a few weeks ago and managed to get it perfect.

I'll try to snag a video tonight.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:02 AM   #39
Plumbus
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post

Update to my previous post:

Retightened all bolts in the exhaust from frontpipe to midpipe. Despite reusing the midpipe to S pipe gasket, the exhaust smell is mostly gone and the drone has been all but eliminated. the loudness is PERFECT. When I bought the perrin resonated I had a singular goal, to buy catless headers afterwards and have the sound level right in the middle. With stock manifold, the perrin sounds deep and sexy but the dBA was nearly as silent as OEM. Right now it is noticeable but still mature, with the main cold start disabled (but not the secondary) with the ecutek tune, cold starts are even LESS obnoxious than stock. Idle is louder than stock, mainly because of 900 rpm idle, but it's not obnoxious. higher idle also makes idle feel smoother.

Overall I'm incredibly happy with the result and the countless hours of research paid well off, and it's mostly thanks to all the experiences of other twin owners who went before me. I'm thinking of buying some gasket sheets and cut my own gaskets since they are incredibly expensive individually, but most likely the remaining smell is due to removal of main cat. Still have stock FP and don't plan on ever removing it. forgot to mention, with the windows down, you can hear all the goodness of the exhaust. with the windows up, it is very livable for chill/city travel. only thing that sucks is driving on the freeway at speeds over 70 mph, 3500 rpms are a bit too loud for long distance. still no regrets.

Could make a video if someone asks, otherwise that's my 2 cents on my final exhaust setup.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:17 AM   #40
gen3v8
Barred

Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Thanked 1,187 Times in 610 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbus View Post
Update to my previous post:

Retightened all bolts in the exhaust from frontpipe to midpipe. Despite reusing the midpipe to S pipe gasket, the exhaust smell is mostly gone and the drone has been all but eliminated. the loudness is PERFECT. When I bought the perrin resonated I had a singular goal, to buy catless headers afterwards and have the sound level right in the middle. With stock manifold, the perrin sounds deep and sexy but the dBA was nearly as silent as OEM. Right now it is noticeable but still mature, with the main cold start disabled (but not the secondary) with the ecutek tune, cold starts are even LESS obnoxious than stock. Idle is louder than stock, mainly because of 900 rpm idle, but it's not obnoxious. higher idle also makes idle feel smoother.

Overall I'm incredibly happy with the result and the countless hours of research paid well off, and it's mostly thanks to all the experiences of other twin owners who went before me. I'm thinking of buying some gasket sheets and cut my own gaskets since they are incredibly expensive individually, but most likely the remaining smell is due to removal of main cat. Still have stock FP and don't plan on ever removing it. forgot to mention, with the windows down, you can hear all the goodness of the exhaust. with the windows up, it is very livable for chill/city travel. only thing that sucks is driving on the freeway at speeds over 70 mph, 3500 rpms are a bit too loud for long distance. still no regrets.

Could make a video if someone asks, otherwise that's my 2 cents on my final exhaust setup.
Someone asks. I could also make a video of mine in a similar fashion, Psr uel header &o`pipe stock front pipe and Q300 cat back, if someone asks. Highway noise is good! windows open/closed is the same as yours but it gets rowdy with heavy throttle
Old 12-12-2020, 07:40 AM   #41
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,123 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
From a bit of research the Greddy SP, blitz VSR, Fujitsubo authorize catback/axleback are quiet options beyond options already mentioned.

The fujitsubo sounds about stock but with a different tone on stock header.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:08 AM   #42
Plumbus
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen3v8 View Post
Someone asks. I could also make a video of mine in a similar fashion, Psr uel header &o`pipe stock front pipe and Q300 cat back, if someone asks. Highway noise is good! windows open/closed is the same as yours but it gets rowdy with heavy throttle
Right back at you! If you can record yours it'd be cool.

As promised, I took my Tascam and chucked it in my trunk before a burger run. I was able to record the cold start outside the trunk which is why it sounds so majestic, but I have no way to record outside while driving.

It is long and mostly boring so just skip to the areas with high volume on the audio graph. I will record an abridged sound clip later, as I was not gonna rev bomb my neighborhood so late at night, but it will give you an idea of how it sounds for now.

specs:
2017 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
ACE A350 header
Perrin 2.5 in resonated catback
Stock FP
CSG Stage 2 Ecutek tune

https://soundcloud.com/mc707-1/ace-a...onated-catback
The Following User Says Thank You to Plumbus For This Useful Post:
gen3v8 (12-14-2020)