follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 12-01-2015, 01:49 AM   #393
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Did you notice any intercooler heat soak after a full track session?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoJDM View Post
Yes, it was pretty evident that heat was retaining the unit after the first session. But overall, it didn't seem to affect my times, and power delivery was still relatively the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
I don't see any evidence of heat soak in your data...
I was about to say the same thing. "Heat soak" is such a general term and very hard to quantify. Looking at NotSoJDM's data, if we are talking about "heat soak" as the cooling efficiency of the W2A intercooler, I think it has done a pretty good job, with intake temps maxing out at 140 F and staying steady through out the session.

I would guess that if we had timing data, we can see how the engine is coping with the increased temps. His comment about the power staying relatively the same seems to indicate that the engine isn't pulling any timing. On the other hand, he was using higher octane gas.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
NotSoJDM (12-01-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 02:23 AM   #394
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
I was about to say the same thing. "Heat soak" is such a general term and very hard to quantify. Looking at NotSoJDM's data, if we are talking about "heat soak" as the cooling efficiency of the W2A intercooler, I think it has done a pretty good job, with intake temps maxing out at 140 F and staying steady through out the session.

I would guess that if we had timing data, we can see how the engine is coping with the increased temps. His comment about the power staying relatively the same seems to indicate that the engine isn't pulling any timing. On the other hand, he was using higher octane gas.
Engine wasn't pulling any timing at all in that log.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Edelbrock LLC (12-01-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 07:30 AM   #395
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yes, it was pretty evident that heat was retaining the unit after the first session. But overall, it didn't seem to affect my times, and power delivery was still relatively the same.
Thank you, the more I read the more I like this thing.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #396
NotSoJDM

Drives: '13 BRZ | '04 E55
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post

My answer was more towards the observation that the heat exchanger was retaining heat between sessions. Not so much towards the heat exchangers inefficiency to cool while in use. I agree, the graphs show the temps are stable throughout the entire session, so I don't think there is any doubt that the heat exchanger was doing its job while on track. And as @CSG Mike stated, timing wasn't being pulled at any point that I saw in the log.

The way I understand heatsoak is that it refers to the ability to dissipate heat once the system is off (between sessions). The end result being that once the temperatures became elevated in the first session, they remained at a higher temperature throughout the rest of the day. If I ran an air-air intercooler, I would expect it to warm up during use, but during cool down dissipate most of the heat built up from the previous session. With the water-air it seems like the temps are much more stable as more of the heat stays in the system while not running.
NotSoJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NotSoJDM For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (12-01-2015), Edelbrock LLC (12-01-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 09:36 AM   #397
D18

Drives: Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I know fuel conservation is usually a priority on track days, so you wouldn't want to leave your car running between sessions. But would it be possible to wire up a system that lets your water pump and fans run with the car off?
D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:39 AM   #398
NotSoJDM

Drives: '13 BRZ | '04 E55
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by D18 View Post
I know fuel conservation is usually a priority on track days, so you wouldn't want to leave your car running between sessions. But would it be possible to wire up a system that lets your water pump and fans run with the car off?
Mike had mentioned running the AC on my cooldown and in the paddock to force both fans to kick on, which would help draw some air across the LTR and Koyo. He had also mentioned upgrading fans, but I'm not at the stage where I am ready to start hacking up the OE shroud setup.
NotSoJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:42 AM   #399
GSpeed

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Thanked 1,181 Times in 362 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D18 View Post
@Beastronix
GSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GSpeed For This Useful Post:
Beastronix (12-01-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 09:43 AM   #400
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
With the water-air it seems like the temps are much more stable as more of the heat stays in the system while not running.
Thermodynamics are a bitch.

With the water system is simply has more mass to hold heat so unless you are circulating the water through the cooling system the heal will only dissipate as fast as the thermal conductivity of the system allows.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jvincent For This Useful Post:
sato (12-01-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #401
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,136 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Mike had mentioned running the AC on my cooldown and in the paddock to force both fans to kick on, which would help draw some air across the LTR and Koyo. He had also mentioned upgrading fans, but I'm not at the stage where I am ready to start hacking up the OE shroud setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpeed View Post
I've been asking for a manual fan switch for a while now. My fans rarely engage in high speed mode since installing a bigger radiator and low temp thermostat and when they do they can move quite a bit of air. It would be nice to be able to force them on at high speed for cool downs and hot track sessions. I believe with EcuTek the coolant temp threshold can be edited lower so that the fans speed up sooner but I still haven't gotten around to bothering my tuner about it. @moto-mike (PS I want to also lower the minimum coolant temp value because I get a CEL for coolant temp below threshold every time I cruise down the highway when its under 50F outside.)
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
D18 (12-01-2015), NotSoJDM (12-01-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 11:30 AM   #402
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
Thermodynamics are a bitch.

With the water system is simply has more mass to hold heat so unless you are circulating the water through the cooling system the heal will only dissipate as fast as the thermal conductivity of the system allows.
more mass with a very high specific heat.

kemistree and fiziks
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
NotSoJDM (12-01-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #403
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
I've been asking for a manual fan switch for a while now. My fans rarely engage in high speed mode since installing a bigger radiator and low temp thermostat and when they do they can move quite a bit of air. It would be nice to be able to force them on at high speed for cool downs and hot track sessions. I believe with EcuTek the coolant temp threshold can be edited lower so that the fans speed up sooner but I still haven't gotten around to bothering my tuner about it. @moto-mike (PS I want to also lower the minimum coolant temp value because I get a CEL for coolant temp below threshold every time I cruise down the highway when its under 50F outside.)
Just push that AC button
Old 12-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #404
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,136 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Just push that AC button
That's what I've been doing but it only engages the fans at low speed. I want to force them on high speed. Because race car.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #405
CSG Mike

Quote:
That's what I've been doing but it only engages the fans at low speed. I want to force them on high speed. Because race car.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Time to hit up that tuner...
Old 12-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #406
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I want to force them on high speed. Because race car.
IIRC that doesn't help much as the fans wont help when the car is at speed, they become a restriction to airflow through the radiator.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote