follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 04-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
timmydatooth

Drives: Scion Frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
aftermarket lug nuts on stock wheels?

my friend is trying to sell me some muteki lug nuts and I was just wondering I these would be ok to use on my stock wheels?
timmydatooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Others can confirm, but it's likely the aftermarket lug nuts use a conical seat while the OEM wheels use a radiused seat - if so, the short answer is, no, they won't work for you.
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RJasonKlein For This Useful Post:
timmydatooth (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 06:46 PM   #3
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Stock wheels/nuts also are conical.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (04-03-2017), RJasonKlein (04-03-2017), Teseo (04-03-2017), why? (04-03-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 10:22 PM   #4
icybrzzz

Drives: 2015 Scion frz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've been running muteki open ended nuts on my car since I got. On stock wheels too, you will be fine
icybrzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:30 PM   #5
timmydatooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by icybrzzz View Post
I've been running muteki open ended nuts on my car since I got. On stock wheels too, you will be fine
What kind do you have? do you mind sharing a picture?
Old 04-02-2017, 10:36 PM   #6
icybrzzz

Drives: 2015 Scion frz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Don't have any pics of them on my stock wheels but I run the open ended long ones from muteki.

DSCF3320 by Daniel Cocar, on Flickr
icybrzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:14 PM   #7
timmydatooth

Clean! So whats the difference between open ended and closed lugnuts? Is one better than the other?
Old 04-03-2017, 12:41 AM   #8
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Sorry @timmydatooth for steering you wrong - my mistake!
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:45 AM   #9
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmydatooth View Post
Clean! So whats the difference between open ended and closed lugnuts? Is one better than the other?
Open ended are required for people with longer wheel studs. Otherwise, its really just an aesthetic choice.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PandaSPUR For This Useful Post:
why? (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 01:24 AM   #10
churchx

Supposedly closed ended lugnuts protect about dirt getting in & maybe reducing possibility of corrosion/seizing and also make nut a bit costlier but cleaner looking and good place to place manufacturer bling logo
Open ended supposedly are cheaper/unnoticeably lighter (there ARE people who care about that and allow very long aftermarket wheel studs). I just measured how long i need and went for closed ended ones. Will have to pay if i'll ever change to longer studs, but nuts are not THAT costly.
There are also lugnuts, that have separate caps/inserts to close end.
Considering lugnut theme i also went for no wheel lock nuts. It's simpler to not fsck up on track day with them, and double check if end bit for undoing them is in car, and everybody around has some normal wrenches to borrow to change wheels. Haven't heard of stolen wheels for few years around here where i live anyway and imho if one is set on stealing, it's not that hard to get few sets of wheel locks bits to steel with most commonly used wheel locks.
Aftermarket aluminium lugnuts .. remember to tighten them by hands, not pressure gun.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:35 AM   #11
timmydatooth

hmm seems like closed ended would probably be better for me. are aftermarket lug nuts fragile or something that they would get damaged by a pressure gun? do you happen to know the exact size I would need to buy for our stock oem wheels? also if anyone has a pic of some muteki lug nuts on some stock oem wheels please share because I would just like to see how they look and if they look stupid or not lol. thanks.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:48 AM   #12
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmydatooth View Post
hmm seems like closed ended would probably be better for me. are aftermarket lug nuts fragile or something that they would get damaged by a pressure gun? do you happen to know the exact size I would need to buy for our stock oem wheels? also if anyone has a pic of some muteki lug nuts on some stock oem wheels please share because I would just like to see how they look and if they look stupid or not lol. thanks.
Really cheap crappy aluminum lug nuts suck and bend and break really really easily. The good ones don't. I've had Rays duraluminum lug nuts on my Yaris for a decade and only 1 mechanic even noticed they were aluminum and he was a moron and acted like a coward and used his full pressure gun and they were fine.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:57 AM   #13
churchx

Strength wise good aluminium lugnuts are strong enough indeed, it's not that easy to strip them. Cheap ones .. have no experience with them, also using rays duralumin lugnuts, for stock studs ones of short type. But some buy them for bling/looks, and of course are not very happy to see lugnuts finish to be damaged.
Stock thread of studs/lugnuts should be M12x1.25. Most commonly used aftermarket studs, eg. APR ones usually have thread of M12x1.5. As i don't use spacers and don't remount wheels too often for stock to be soon to striping, not yet considering of aftermarket studs.
P.S.
I wouldn't overthink too much lugnut things. They don't cost extraorbitant prices, they don't change looks THAT much, weight gains with lighter ones are not too noticeable (even more so because stock nuts are rather light). Just get some you like look-wise from not cheap chinese ones to lessen quality issues chance and forget about it. Good aluminium nuts are not that weak. At most i would switch to some chromoly steel lugnuts, if car would see many remounts per year (such as to-from track day wheels), for some piece of mind. I wouldn't get some uber expensive ones too. Mostly it's about their bling, but if you remount, finish gets damaged .. so why pay too much for some uber-titanium burnt finish for it to be scratched later on. Rather get cheap set with some spares if some ever gets striped/got lost or damaged by lazy tire shop staff.
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
timmydatooth (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 10:30 AM   #14
timmydatooth

in conclusion, i am sticking with the stock lug nuts. unless I do end up getting some new wheels. haha thanks everyone for all the help. Don't think it would be worth the money just for "looks" that you barely notice.