follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-21-2015, 05:37 AM   #15
HaDDeS
Touge worship

Drives: Forester STi SG9
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
That is a really reasonable choice, I mean, if you want to upgrade, do it so it will be for the best of 1 your safety , 2 the longevity of the car 3 your pleasure. Sadly that never comes cheap, and anyone telling you he can do it for 3rd of the regular price will probably ... won't do it well "at the best".

Just keep and eye opened, keep reading , learning on the platform, wait a bit, the more time you wait, the more solutions out there, and ultimately the prices will go down, and your knowledge up, so you can make the best educated decision
HaDDeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:24 AM   #16
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDDeS View Post
Adding more power before anything else is the usual common mistake.

Before you add this SC, make sure you revise the cooling, the braking, the suspension, and tires.

For the SC, of course you need a tune, and preferably a custom tune on Dyno, this is the only guarantee to get a proper solution for you car, but it won't be cheap.

The kit + clean install, and tuning by a competent garage, could be anything between 6 to 10 k$
6 to 10? People are getting used kits for around 3k. If yo already have an ecutek you can get a remote tune for $200 or so. No need for an oil cooler if your using it for DD. Catch can used $100 or so. DIY install which I feel is mandatory to gain a deeper understanding of modding should you be going down this route. Afterall you are bound to have headaches and need to fix them. Tires do had a fat cost but i feel most folks already have after market at this point. I dont feel their is a need for suspension upgrades with this car. What you describing really looks like a track build. Anyone care to add or challange this? I too am eager to learn more.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:52 AM   #17
HaDDeS
Touge worship

Not necessarily a track build, but a "proper one". Adding power on a stock car will of course exceed the stock characteristics of many components. You don't think cooling is an issue, well let me tell you that with an HKS supercharger blowing 8 psi, it becomes a real problem specifically at high revs /temps, when oil just becomes ... water and tend to starve. Now suspensions, well very true, you don't "have" to, but again, you will totally exceed the grip capacity of the stock suspension, and what's the point to add a lot more power if the result of it is just ... smoke ? You want more power to go faster. Only changing tires is enough ? no it isn't ... more tire grip will again exceed the stock suspension capacity and will deteriorate handling and degrade performances.
And of course, braking is the main issue, you go faster, you need to stop stronger, but again only if you have enough grip and a good enough suspension setup to go with it.
You can throw pads and fluid, sure you'll have more bite an less fade, but is your chassis capable of copping with the stronger energy ?

You might think this is track specific, and that it doesn't make a difference for the average folk, well it just the way to make the best out of the 3.000 and some $ you'd invest in the Engine.

And also, a Etune is just ...Crap, sorry, but no E-tune will ever match the result and satisfaction a real dyno tune will offer. Expertise is everything , and that's why i said , a build like this, with all the right components in the right place would be 6 to 10k$ done by the proper people. Of course if you feel brave enough to do it in the back of a shed with some friends, and again feel lucky enough to gamble on an E-tune then yet again, go for it

One can do much more for much less ?, but is it really well thought ? Done ? Secured ? , I dunno
I am just exposing here how we think car tuning here in Japan through the garages I know, and none of those guys would let someone install a Supercharger without upgrading other components at the same time, or in a very short period of time ... just a different philosophy

And yes I could be considered as an extremist I know not everyone has 10k$ to spend on a build, and some people are very well educated to do stuff themselves, but our friend here seems at the very beginning of his learning curve, that's why I recommended him a "safer" approach.

But yes it can be done for "cheaper", but it will incidentally be ... cheaper. you get what you pay for.

Last edited by HaDDeS; 01-21-2015 at 07:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to HaDDeS For This Useful Post:
FRSCanuck (01-28-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 08:59 PM   #18
kbogarto

Drives: 2013 BRZ limited WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
haDDes,
I have done almost everything you have said not to and have exactly what I expected.
Avo turbo with street (not dyno) tune by jamesM
Stock tires, brakes, cooling, intake and exhaust.
Total invested less than $5000.
I understand i can't really track my car but it's my DD and im ok with that.
Just saying people have different goals for their cars
Old 01-29-2015, 12:47 AM   #19
HaDDeS
Touge worship

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbogarto View Post
haDDes,
I have done almost everything you have said not to and have exactly what I expected.
Avo turbo with street (not dyno) tune by jamesM
Stock tires, brakes, cooling, intake and exhaust.
Total invested less than $5000.
I understand i can't really track my car but it's my DD and im ok with that.
Just saying people have different goals for their cars
Good for you nothing else i can say ... different goals different solutions, you invested less than 5.000 and that's great for you, but if you were to track it, or hillclimb with it you'd understand what I'm talking about but again, good for you, but let's just not make that the general rule of thumb ...
Old 01-29-2015, 03:24 AM   #20
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDDeS View Post
Not necessarily a track build, but a "proper one". Adding power on a stock car will of course exceed the stock characteristics of many components. You don't think cooling is an issue, well let me tell you that with an HKS supercharger blowing 8 psi, it becomes a real problem specifically at high revs /temps, when oil just becomes ... water and tend to starve. Now suspensions, well very true, you don't "have" to, but again, you will totally exceed the grip capacity of the stock suspension, and what's the point to add a lot more power if the result of it is just ... smoke ? You want more power to go faster. Only changing tires is enough ? no it isn't ... more tire grip will again exceed the stock suspension capacity and will deteriorate handling and degrade performances.
And of course, braking is the main issue, you go faster, you need to stop stronger, but again only if you have enough grip and a good enough suspension setup to go with it.
You can throw pads and fluid, sure you'll have more bite an less fade, but is your chassis capable of copping with the stronger energy ?

You might think this is track specific, and that it doesn't make a difference for the average folk, well it just the way to make the best out of the 3.000 and some $ you'd invest in the Engine.

And also, a Etune is just ...Crap, sorry, but no E-tune will ever match the result and satisfaction a real dyno tune will offer. Expertise is everything , and that's why i said , a build like this, with all the right components in the right place would be 6 to 10k$ done by the proper people. Of course if you feel brave enough to do it in the back of a shed with some friends, and again feel lucky enough to gamble on an E-tune then yet again, go for it

One can do much more for much less ?, but is it really well thought ? Done ? Secured ? , I dunno
I am just exposing here how we think car tuning here in Japan through the garages I know, and none of those guys would let someone install a Supercharger without upgrading other components at the same time, or in a very short period of time ... just a different philosophy

And yes I could be considered as an extremist I know not everyone has 10k$ to spend on a build, and some people are very well educated to do stuff themselves, but our friend here seems at the very beginning of his learning curve, that's why I recommended him a "safer" approach.

But yes it can be done for "cheaper", but it will incidentally be ... cheaper. you get what you pay for.
The stock suspension is actually quite god. A lot of people here in the CA 86cup run it very competitively even with FI at 300+ whp. My lap times actually got worse when I "upgraded" to KW V3's and many others have had the same experience. We have since gone back to stock. There are definitely higher end coilover systems that will perform better but I want to make it clear that the stock suspension is really quite good.

My E-tune is done by a professional tuner that aside from his turbo-kit @ptuning customers does dyno tuning exclusively. His e-tune for me and 2 other track goers here in CA who have his turbo-kit have been spot on perfect. We have abused his tune like no other here and the tune just doesn't skip a beat. Point is, some e-tunes are bad, some are good. Research and use common sense when selecting your tuner.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:28 AM   #21
tjohnson104

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
bump for more information. Alright, so I guess this used kit is back on sale. So I am considering it again. Things new to add that I didn't before. I have a full header back exhaust. Suspension upgraded. And I ordered the OFT. So since I have not even received the OFT yet, I was doing as much research as possible for tunes for superchargers. They have tunes for the phantom electric charger, but yet they also sell the vortech kit. So does supercharger/turbo brand matter when it comes to off the shelf tunes such as openflash tablet? ill post the ebay link to it as I have questions about the kit and I cant contact the seller. But from the pictures the small black cooler look a like, is that a oil cooler? I dont see the other parts for it so I am not sure. So now that I have the tablet on the way, and the other upgrades I mentioned, should my car now be ready for boost or not yet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-HKS-GT-S...72c883&vxp=mtr
tjohnson104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:51 AM   #22
kbye

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohnson104 View Post
bump for more information. Alright, so I guess this used kit is back on sale. So I am considering it again. Things new to add that I didn't before. I have a full header back exhaust. Suspension upgraded. And I ordered the OFT. So since I have not even received the OFT yet, I was doing as much research as possible for tunes for superchargers. They have tunes for the phantom electric charger, but yet they also sell the vortech kit. So does supercharger/turbo brand matter when it comes to off the shelf tunes such as openflash tablet? ill post the ebay link to it as I have questions about the kit and I cant contact the seller. But from the pictures the small black cooler look a like, is that a oil cooler? I dont see the other parts for it so I am not sure. So now that I have the tablet on the way, and the other upgrades I mentioned, should my car now be ready for boost or not yet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-HKS-GT-S...72c883&vxp=mtr

Unless you can live without A/C you don't want the HKS v1 supercharger.

Majority of the tunes for both turbo and s/c are done with ECUtek. If I was going FI I would have skipped OFT and gone with ECUtek instead as it's more broadly used.
kbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:12 AM   #23
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Okay that kind of comment really shows you have not done enough reading. Please for the love of god, do it right, or risk blowing your engine. Got to pay to play and a engine rebuild is not cheap.
Just let him blow up his engine. We cant be there to hold his hand. Trial and error, let him experience it. Maybe he will then value research.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:04 AM   #24
tjohnson104

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
Just let him blow up his engine. We cant be there to hold his hand. Trial and error, let him experience it. Maybe he will then value research.
umm okay bane. Im asking for genuine help because you not everybody is knowledge in every single department of the auto scene. If you dont have any true advise, gtfo
tjohnson104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:14 AM   #25
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohnson104 View Post
umm okay bane. Im asking for genuine help because you not everybody is knowledge in every single department of the auto scene. If you dont have any true advise, gtfo
There is a consensus about how long people have had these cars with FI. Do you think that the same exact advice, since the last 30 times this question has been asked, has changed? if you search and can't find the topic, then you should make a thread contributing to the already growing wealth of information on here. Rather than ask the same question over and over and over and over again. Learn how to use google, or the search function.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (02-12-2015), tjohnson104 (02-12-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 10:31 PM   #26
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbye View Post
Unless you can live without A/C you don't want the HKS v1 supercharger.

Majority of the tunes for both turbo and s/c are done with ECUtek. If I was going FI I would have skipped OFT and gone with ECUtek instead as it's more broadly used.
Is this true, that you lose your a/c? I sure hope you are wrong. I haven't seen that anywhere else.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:27 AM   #27
kbye

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Is this true, that you lose your a/c? I sure hope you are wrong. I haven't seen that anywhere else.
yea I'm probably wrong. looking at pictures again, it looks like it keeps the AC pulley. when it was first released couple years back I thought the AC pulley needed to be removed in order to route the pipes.
kbye is offline   Reply With Quote