follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-25-2019, 12:04 PM   #29
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2016 FR-S, took delivery 12/31/2015. 58,000 miles, 20k in long 8-20 hr road trips, a handful of autocross events, have ran e85, tuned, have driven in AZ heat daily and taken up to Chicago snow a couple times.

Minor cam plate seepage, though I'm not noticing any loss of oil when checking my dipstick.
Clutch squeaked a couple times, and I mean a couple. Not happening now.

Overall, I think it's been super reliable. I do not hesitate to get in right now and drive to Canada.

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:15 PM   #30
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Yeah, they traced it down to needing a new camshaft and sprocket plus ECU.
Hmmmm fishy. It would be the first that I have heard of.
How is the new car? Did you get the piss yellow/puke green colour?

Dadhawk (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #31
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
77.7k miles, 6 years, 5 HPDE's, ?? Autoxes, rear ended twice, hundreds of hit cones, launches, spinouts, slides, etc.
2x replaced coilpacks (likely a never going to happen if you don't track)
Currently halfway through replacing the throwout bearing, clutch is fine, flywheel is burnt from many miles of my abuse, the rest of it probably would have been good to 100k or more if it weren't for the faulty TOB design.
Lots of rattles creaks and clunks from aftermarket suspension and abuse.

9/10 would do it all over again
-2 for Macpherson strut design and Subaru rattly interior
+1 for having more utility than a Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
They wanted that much based on a cam shaft sensor CEL?
I was about to argue but you're right, that's bonkers money, even replacing all four VVT Sprockets and associated sensors and testing shouldn't take more than 3 days and $1k in parts tops, even with dealership markup that's like $3.5k and really it can be fixed in a few hours with <$10 in parts if it just needs to be shimmed. (Edit: guess with an ECU that pushes it to $4k, plus some shitty markup I guess $4.5k isn't total highway robbery)

This car has convinced me, if I actually care how it runs, fuck buying new and dealing with dealerships. I'm glad I bought new, showed support for this kind of car and such, but I'll need some counseling if y'all see me buy another new one.

Or I got rich and dgaf about throwing time and money at things.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (03-25-2019), Tcoat (03-25-2019), Ultramaroon (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 12:28 PM   #32
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post

This car has convinced me, if I actually care how it runs, fuck buying new and dealing with dealerships. I'm glad I bought new, showed support for this kind of car and such, but I'll need some counseling if y'all see me buy another new one.

Or I got rich and dgaf about throwing time and money at things.
The same could be said of buying any car new though. There is no such thing as the perfectly bulletproof new car. There will be individual vehicles that may seem like it but not a certain make or model. Buying used doesn't get rid of any issues anyway just lowers what you paid up front. People still need to buy new cars so there are used ones and I will continue to throw myself on the sword for those that only want used. I will take the depreciation hit over dealing with somebody else's shit any day.
Dadhawk (03-25-2019), HachiRokuX (03-25-2019), strat61caster (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #33
Soloside
-Phil's BIGGEST FAN BOI

Drives: 2014 Greddy Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Gone thru 2 flex plates in 2 years. i'm gonna blame the amount of power i'm pushing.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:38 PM   #34
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
The same could be said of buying any car new though. There is no such thing as the perfectly bulletproof new car. There will be individual vehicles that may seem like it but not a certain make or model. Buying used doesn't get rid of any issues anyway just lowers what you paid up front. People still need to buy new cars so there are used ones and I will continue to throw myself on the sword for those that only want used. I will take the depreciation hit over dealing with somebody else's shit any day.
I wrote that in a weird mood, you're not wrong and my post wasn't meant to disagree with anything you just wrote.

I've just had a lot of shit dealership experiences so I'm staying the hell away. I'm no gold star mechanic, but if I'm paying someone >$100/hour I want a better standard of labor than what I can do myself in a fucking garage with hand tools and jack stands. Missing fasteners, stripped bolts, overtightened drain plugs, bent/damaged plastics, lots of little things that are not ok on my toy when I'm headed into a corner full bore.

I'll likely buy a few more new cars in my lifetime, don't worry.
Edit: Maybe even a new 86, who knows, like I said I just have to go in with eyes wide open that if I care about something getting fixed to my standard I have little faith in dealership repair departments.

Last edited by strat61caster; 03-25-2019 at 12:49 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-25-2019), Ultramaroon (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 12:40 PM   #35
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
It isn't even broken in yet!
LOL. Why does that matter? I have seen owners of 2017 86s complain of check engine lights a couple miles after picking it up from the dealer.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:11 PM   #36
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I wrote that in a weird mood, you're not wrong and my post wasn't meant to disagree with anything you just wrote.

I've just had a lot of shit dealership experiences so I'm staying the hell away. I'm no gold star mechanic, but if I'm paying someone >$100/hour I want a better standard of labor than what I can do myself in a fucking garage with hand tools and jack stands. Missing fasteners, stripped bolts, overtightened drain plugs, bent/damaged plastics, lots of little things that are not ok on my toy when I'm headed into a corner full bore.

I'll likely buy a few more new cars in my lifetime, don't worry.
Edit: Maybe even a new 86, who knows, like I said I just have to go in with eyes wide open that if I care about something getting fixed to my standard I have little faith in dealership repair departments.

I have never had an issue with dealer service. Not even a little one. I have learned on this forum though that the standards for techs vary so much between Canada and the US that we may as well be on different planets. For 4 years I have preached "techs are well trained and very competent" just to learn that I was very wrong when talking about those in the US. I had no idea that instead of a 4 or 5 year apprenticeship with extensive college level theory and very strict practical requirements like we have any Joe with a wrench can work on a car there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
LOL. Why does that matter? I have seen owners of 2017 86s complain of check engine lights a couple miles after picking it up from the dealer.

I was teasing. My 120,000+ car seems like it has been through the wars compared to one with only 32K after all these years.
strat61caster (03-25-2019), Ultramaroon (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #37
yurikaze

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS (CBS), AE86 GT-S, MA70
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
2018 BRZ tS, picked up in February '18, 22k miles.
Only thing that's gone wrong is the stereo head unit bricked itself at 15k miles. A month later a recall was issued for that exact reason.
yurikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yurikaze For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #38
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurikaze View Post
2018 BRZ tS, picked up in February '18, 22k miles.
Only thing that's gone wrong is the stereo head unit bricked itself at 15k miles. A month later a recall was issued for that exact reason.
The wife's 17 Impreza has now been in 8 times for the HU. Two of those times were actual recalls. Yesterday at 11am we went to leave to a place about 10 minutes from home. The GPS told us it was going to be an 11,400 minute trip and we would arrive at 7am even though it showed the right route. Halfway there it just shut down. Again. It happens all the bloody time. They can't get HUs right. Think they buy them at some surplus store or something.
HachiRokuX (03-25-2019), yurikaze (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 01:37 PM   #39
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
I have learned on this forum though that the standards for techs vary so much between Canada and the US that we may as well be on different planets. For 4 years I have preached "techs are well trained and very competent" just to learn that I was very wrong when talking about those in the US. I had no idea that instead of a 4 or 5 year apprenticeship with extensive college level theory and very strict practical requirements like we have any Joe with a wrench can work on a car there.
It's odd, and I would've believed the contrary, until seeing several of my friends working in a dealership and being a parts delivery agent. Next to lighting farts in an empty engine bay, the most professional thing I've come to expect and hope for is the use of a fender cover so their pants buttons aren't gouging the paint. That is low hanging fruit for any tech who wants to work on customer vehicles.. It's a shame, really. I don't mean to insinuate that they're ALL like this, but as far as locally, I can confirm that the bar is only slightly above backyard tech. Reason being that a lot of people rely on the dealership for warranty and other repair. They do not need to fight for public image or customer base.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-25-2019), Tcoat (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 01:58 PM   #40
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
It's odd, and I would've believed the contrary, until seeing several of my friends working in a dealership and being a parts delivery agent. Next to lighting farts in an empty engine bay, the most professional thing I've come to expect and hope for is the use of a fender cover so their pants buttons aren't gouging the paint. That is low hanging fruit for any tech who wants to work on customer vehicles.. It's a shame, really. I don't mean to insinuate that they're ALL like this, but as far as locally, I can confirm that the bar is only slightly above backyard tech. Reason being that a lot of people rely on the dealership for warranty and other repair. They do not need to fight for public image or customer base.
Oh no doubt we have the odd bad one here as well but I have not come across them. The young guys in their apprenticeships don't want to lose their job for shoddy work since the business is usually paying the bill for the training. The older guys that are in their journeyman or master levels don't want to lose their status because then they can not work in the trade. It isn't a perfect system but generally weeds the careless out of the trade in a hurry.
strat61caster (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 02:00 PM   #41
HimBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
'13 bought 12/12 with 65K. Had a curled driver's weatherstrip replaced very soon after I got it. Left taillight still collects moisture in the rain, but dries out okay. I'm on my 2nd battery. Headlight lenses are hazy. Just had to pony up for the labor to replace TOB and clutch; dealer bought the parts. I stopped having dealer do maintenance after 3 years. Enjoying the drive with a Nameless muffler delete axle-back.
This is the best car I've owned and I've had a few since I bought a $350 '64 Spitfire in '75 and had to overhaul the motor when it lost oil pressure on the way home.
HimBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:05 PM   #42
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
My 1st 86 lasted just over 60 K absolutely trouble free miles before some lady decided to run through a red light and kill her

My current one is now approaching 60 K and while I've had the ToB replaced and timing cover resealed, I consider those things to be pretty minor. Aside from my front bumper which is utterly trashed with chips, I still think she looks and feels brand new.

Last edited by HKz; 03-25-2019 at 03:55 PM.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote