follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-07-2019, 09:34 AM   #113
Pinoy_FRS

Drives: Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
Who paid for the new short block?
Fortunately the dealership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ongor View Post
Hey Pinoy,

I had the same thing when I got mine after the recall work. I also thought it was some remaining oil.
385km later, it started knocking and my engine died.

Just to be sure, keep checking, keep "being paranoid" about it for a while, and if you doubt, bring it back asap.
My first problem was the day I got it back from the dealership after the recall. Turned out to be a bad ocv. Got it fixed a week and a half later

Two weeks after picking up my car again, my engine failed on the highway. Spun a rod bearing
Pinoy_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:25 PM   #114
msaikhan

Drives: frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Nevermind I misread your post. You were talking about draining oil not checking the dipstick. Hahaha

Hey Ermax, listen to this and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Happens only in gear, warm engine, letting off gas, around 1500-2000 rpm.
(dealer tried to tell me the noise is cuz engine is about to stall)
Or sometimes does this at cold star for few seconds.

Sounds only under these circumstances. Can't make the noise in neutral. No noise at higher rpm, or when giving more gas.

Video link

msaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:43 PM   #115
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Results of the Valve Spring Recall Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaikhan View Post
Hey Ermax, listen to this and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Happens only in gear, warm engine, letting off gas, around 1500-2000 rpm.
(dealer tried to tell me the noise is cuz engine is about to stall)
Or sometimes does this at cold star for few seconds.

Sounds only under these circumstances. Can't make the noise in neutral. No noise at higher rpm, or when giving more gas.

Video link

Sounds like rod knock to me. Rod knock makes the most noise on a cold start and then when not under load. So like when you are in between gears and the engine is transient it will knock and then when just cruising. It typically goes silent when you give it some gas or heavy engine braking.

The car does make noise when bogging the engine but what I hear in the video definitely isn’t the sound it makes when bogging. Did they hear this video?

Last edited by ermax; 03-07-2019 at 07:49 PM.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
msaikhan (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 06:48 PM   #116
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
This is some sad shit.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:54 PM   #117
msaikhan

They heard more than the video. I drove around with service director, service manager, master tech. The director and manager straight up tells me they don't hear anything. Or they tried to tell me, i'm going too slow in gear when i'm above 1.5k rpm, tried to tell me engine is bogging.

Master tech was coming to test ride, and i can see the service manager next to him, saying stuff to him. When the master tech rode with me, he said he doesn't hear it. But it become so damn obvious, he was like, oh i think i do hear some tapping. And he tried to tell me its because of the cracks in the header. THERE is small crack in the header, and because it's aftermarket they trying to blame it on header. I told em i'll put the stock one and come back. WHOLE f***ing service department is shady as F***.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:04 PM   #118
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Want to see something else sad? I just drained a quart of oil out, as suggested. Here's two fun pics of what was in that sample. Just sent a sample out to Blackstone. What should I expect from the dealership? This was about 600 miles after having the recall done.

Pics were taken of what was left on the bottom of a clean pyrex four-cup container sitting on a white paper towel after pouring the drained oil into another container for safe-keeping. Everything you see was in the oil, and is NOT dirt underneath the glass.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2019, 07:54 PM   #119
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Want to see something else sad? I just drained a quart of oil out, as suggested. Here's two fun pics of what was in that sample. Just sent a sample out to Blackstone. What should I expect from the dealership? This was about 600 miles after having the recall done.

Pics were taken of what was left on the bottom of a clean pyrex four-cup container sitting on a white paper towel after pouring the drained oil into another container for safe-keeping. Everything you see was in the oil, and is NOT dirt underneath the glass.

Thoughts?

And I’m sure a bunch of that crap is in your pickup. I’d suggest changing the oil and filter ASAP but that would also throw out evidence so instead I’d stop driving it and take it to the dealer to do an oil change.

Does it feel like rubber?
Old 03-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #120
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaikhan View Post
They heard more than the video. I drove around with service director, service manager, master tech. The director and manager straight up tells me they don't hear anything. Or they tried to tell me, i'm going too slow in gear when i'm above 1.5k rpm, tried to tell me engine is bogging.

Master tech was coming to test ride, and i can see the service manager next to him, saying stuff to him. When the master tech rode with me, he said he doesn't hear it. But it become so damn obvious, he was like, oh i think i do hear some tapping. And he tried to tell me its because of the cracks in the header. THERE is small crack in the header, and because it's aftermarket they trying to blame it on header. I told em i'll put the stock one and come back. WHOLE f***ing service department is shady as F***.

You could be bogging at 1500 if you are heavy on the gas but cruising at 1500 will not bog. Again, what I hear in the video isn’t bogging. It could be a cracked header I guess but that doesn’t explain why the sound changes with load. If it was a cracked header it would resonate at a particular RPM regardless of load. I’d throw the OEM header on there and get it back to them and see what their next excuse is.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:01 PM   #121
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Hmmm.. the quote thingie isn't working for some reason. No, that stuff doesn't feel like rubber, it's very hard and sharp feeling when you roll it between your fingers, and you can't crush it.

Sigh....
Old 03-07-2019, 08:01 PM   #122
msaikhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
You could be bogging at 1500 if you are heavy on the gas but cruising at 1500 will not bog. Again, what I hear in the video isn’t bogging. It could be a cracked header I guess but that doesn’t explain why the sound changes with load. If it was a cracked header it would resonate at a particular RPM regardless of load. I’d throw the OEM header on there and get it back to them and see what their next excuse is.
Yea, that's my next move. have my feet completely off gas pedal at 1500-2000 and it makes that noise.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:07 PM   #123
ermax

Results of the Valve Spring Recall Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Hmmm.. the quote thingie isn't working for some reason. No, that stuff doesn't feel like rubber, it's very hard and sharp feeling when you roll it between your fingers, and you can't crush it.

Sigh....

Could be bearing material. The bearings have a few layers of material. The outer layer is dark and the center is brass and will sparkle. If you shine a flashlight on it do you see swirls of gold reflective material? I guess it also could be carbon deposits.

To give you an idea, the bearing on the left is toast. The brass has completely flaked off. The bearing on the right has brass starting to peak through. A good bearing should have a uniform dark gray surface unless it’s been deprived of oil.

Last edited by ermax; 03-07-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:27 PM   #124
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Looks like dirt to me. probably washed in to the pan when the engine came apart. Heavy enough to settle to the bottom of the pan and not get sucked up.

Bearing material is obviously bearing material. You'll have nice oily/shimmery stuff on top and metal on the bottom.

These are not Subaru engine, but you get the idea. First one was a nice deep thud thud thud, engine replaced under warranty. Second one was a crisper bang bang bang, the majority of the bearing material was gone at that point. Also required a new engine, on a brand new van.
Attached Images

maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #125
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
After the recall within the next couple days I did an oil change. I bought a new black oil pan and didn't think to inspect it after I poured the oil out. I'm going to give a close look to the surface of the pan and hopefully not see debris left over from the oil that the tech put in.

These reports are freaking me out, I'm at about 150 miles since the recall and everything is running fine, engine sounds are same as they where. This weekend my plan is to try and rack up miles and see if something goes wrong.

At what point do you guys think one would be out of the woods in terms of issues from the recall. I'm guessing if nothing goes wrong in the first 1000 miles after the recall service, then I'll probably be okay?

My thinking is based on the reports on this forum that seem to be from 200 miles to 700 miles in which the engine failure occurs following the recall service.

What do you guys think, is the overall life of the engine shortened by this recall? Is 1000 miles since the recall with no problems a indicator things will be okay?
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #126
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
After the recall within the next couple days I did an oil change. I bought a new black oil pan and didn't think to inspect it after I poured the oil out. I'm going to give a close look to the surface of the pan and hopefully not see debris left over from the oil that the tech put in.

These reports are freaking me out, I'm at about 150 miles since the recall and everything is running fine, engine sounds are same as they where. This weekend my plan is to try and rack up miles and see if something goes wrong.

At what point do you guys think one would be out of the woods in terms of issues from the recall. I'm guessing if nothing goes wrong in the first 1000 miles after the recall service, then I'll probably be okay?

My thinking is based on the reports on this forum that seem to be from 200 miles to 700 miles in which the engine failure occurs following the recall service.

What do you guys think, is the overall life of the engine shortened by this recall? Is 1000 miles since the recall with no problems a indicator things will be okay?

1K seems about right to me. If the bearings are starved of oil they aren’t actually bearings anymore and disintegrate fairly fast.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
DandoX (03-07-2019)