follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #15
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opposed View Post
LOL, I did
Let us know if you new job involves contracting custom shirts for your enterprise.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bestwheelbase For This Useful Post:
Opposed (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #16
Ooops
Wannabe Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited White Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
Congrats on the new gig. Money isn't everything. Follow your heart!

....and marry a doctor.

Money isn't everything. I made this decision about the same point in my life. If you can live comfortably and retire with dignity. For fear or getting off topic I won't define this. Then you are making the right choice! You and your family will be better for it.

Besides doing what you love usually induces passion and passionate people usually end up doing quite well for themselves.

Just my .02
Ooops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooops View Post

Just my .02
When I was a kid, I thought I needed $250k/yr to be comfortable. In actuality, I don't need nearly that much.

Doesn't stop me from playing the powerball though.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bestwheelbase For This Useful Post:
Diode Dynamics (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #18
sklimo
Banned

Drives: 2013 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Thanked 12,901 Times in 5,671 Posts
Mentioned: 316 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
We are only here for a short time. Mine as well be happy!! Congrats on the new job!!!
sklimo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sklimo For This Useful Post:
Opposed (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #19
Opposed

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchy View Post
look at it this way, is 8500$ a year worth being miserable at a job you hate?

I rather take a paycut to do something i love and look forward to everyday then to put up with a ton of crap for a bit more money.

Also you mentioned that you were working 11-12 hour days including weekends and on call, were you salaried? if yes, then you'll probably come out slightly a head in the hourly $$ department since you're actually paid per hour as opposed to seeing every $$ made hourly go down in value for any hours worked past 40.
I was hourly, so I was taken care of pretty well. But yes, I took work home with me every day. Its all I thought about in the back of my mind. I feel like I couldn't even enjoy the days off I had because I was just dreading having to go back.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #20
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Live your life to be happy, not to make money. It's a small pay cut and life is long. You'll be way better doing something you do most of your days, think about it. I'm also 31 and recently quit a stable descent job I've been at for 7 years, I had no stress and always had weekend off and the Boss was a very good guy. However I didn't like it much in the end, so I'm currently in college taking a heavy truck mechanic's class (I love to work on cars but there's more openings in that field). Next year when I start working I'll finally be doing something I enjoy and is a bit more challenging.

It's a great opportunity you did the good choice buddy! Your significant other should be supportive in seeing you being happy before being nagging about money, you were paying most of everything for that time, and this is a big enough sacrifice and you don't deserve to be mad at because of it, more like congratulated. 3$ less an hour is NOTHING especially if you have more free time in the evening and weekends.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #21
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
I believe Confucius once said:

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

I have found this to be true thus far lol

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #22
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
At the end of the day, do what's right for you. Sounds like you made the right choice. :happy0180:
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #23
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opposed View Post
I guess im not sure what advice im looking for since I already accepted the job, but some feedback would be appreciated.
Hopefully, you have not yet resigned from your current job.

I don't trust your new boss for one second.

The way he hired you on the spot is "unusual." It arouses my suspicions. Did the guy he hired two weeks ago just quit abruptly? If so, why? What's going on here?

Potential employees tend to "embellish" their experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities when in the "courting phase" of job searching.

Employers are far worse, much more deceptive.

Is there any way to retain your current job while "testing the waters" at this new job? Maybe take vacation time or a leave of absence from your current job to try out this new "dream job." If you've been duped by the new boss, just walk out and never claim it on your resume, and return to your current job, glad that you still have it.

Perhaps you can talk to your current boss and explain what you want to do. Realistically, that's unlikely to work out well. But, if you conventionally resign and then try to come back in a month, that's probably not going to work out well, either.

You're taking a big chance here. Only you can say whether the risk is worth it. Again, my focus here is not on whether you'll like the new TYPE of work, or whether the finances work out, rather it's whether you'll be happy with this PARTICULAR employer. His "unconventional" hiring practices suggest many negatives to me.

For your sake, I hope I'm wrong. If you make the leap, I hope it works out well for you.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
Opposed (09-12-2013), strat61caster (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #24
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Jelly bra

I have a decent job now that I don't have a passion for. But I don't hate it yet so I am saving as much as I can and keeping an eye for something I won't have to feel the "I'm going to work..." dread.
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZionsWrath For This Useful Post:
Opposed (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #25
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
Nothing is set in stone until it's written down, this is good advice. Showing up the first day on faith without some sort of written agreement is foolish and could end terribly.

Chin up though, it sounds too good to be true, make sure it's real.

Edit: two weeks notice is a courtesy, most states are 'at will' employment, you can terminate your employment at any time, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a week or two off, test the waters and then quit if things are shady. You could be totally fine quitting your job, taking some time off and jumping to the new place with zero issues and a new outlook on life.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Opposed (09-12-2013), Porsche (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #26
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Happiness is worth a lot. So is your health, and stress can take a toll on both of those. My wife and I moved from FL to NC when I accepted a dream job, and we've had to put up with selling a house in a recession, renting, and all that other b.s., but I don't mind getting up on monday morning. That is worth a lot.

Enjoy the dream job, and prepare for everyone telling you, "I wish I had your job".
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gunman For This Useful Post:
Opposed (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #27
Opposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post

I don't trust your new boss for one second.

The way he hired you on the spot is "unusual." It arouses my suspicions. Did the guy he hired two weeks ago just quit abruptly? If so, why? What's going on here?

Potential employees tend to "embellish" their experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities when in the "courting phase" of job searching.

Employers are far worse, much more deceptive.

Is there any way to retain your current job while "testing the waters" at this new job? Maybe take vacation time or a leave of absence from your current job to try out this new "dream job." If you've been duped by the new boss, just walk out and never claim it on your resume, and return to your current job, glad that you still have it.

Perhaps you can talk to your current boss and explain what you want to do. Realistically, that's unlikely to work out well. But, if you conventionally resign and then try to come back in a month, that's probably not going to work out well, either.

You're taking a big chance here. Only you can say whether the risk is worth it. Again, my focus here is not on whether you'll like the new TYPE of work, or whether the finances work out, rather it's whether you'll be happy with this PARTICULAR employer. His "unconventional" hiring practices suggest many negatives to me.

For your sake, I hope I'm wrong. If you make the leap, I hope it works out well for you.
I completely understand your concern. However, I can assure you he is far from shady. In fact, they are one of the highest ranked automotive fabricators and vendors around. Im not sure if I should give it away who it is yet, but they are doing very well for themselves. The company has seen very large growth quickly, and they are simply understaffed. I dont know for a fact, but I think the large amount of applicants think they can handle this job because they "love cars" but in reality, it may not have worked out. I took the interview very seriously, and professionally. I think he was surprised to be honest, and we also hit it off on a personal level. I have been hired on the spot in every interview I have done, so I don't think that is completely strange behavior. But you have a valid point.
The Following User Says Thank You to Opposed For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #28
Opposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Nothing is set in stone until it's written down, this is good advice. Showing up the first day on faith without some sort of written agreement is foolish and could end terribly.

Chin up though, it sounds too good to be true, make sure it's real.

Edit: two weeks notice is a courtesy, most states are 'at will' employment, you can terminate your employment at any time, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a week or two off, test the waters and then quit if things are shady. You could be totally fine quitting your job, taking some time off and jumping to the new place with zero issues and a new outlook on life.
Absolutely. They are a legit company, and the proper paper work has been filled out. A two week notice was given to my current employer. They have given me a good life that past four years, and I owe them the respect.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Opposed For This Useful Post:
Marchy (09-13-2013), strat61caster (09-12-2013)