follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-21-2018, 12:11 PM   #57
PuslarBrrrz

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scala View Post
Please explain the "proper tune". I could be interested but as a stand alone without any other modifications and only if an Ecutek License,Tune and Dyno is not required.
Thank you.

OFT has/had tunes designed around the BPB. Without, the drop off in the upper rpm is dramatic. With the tune it helps to gain back and flatten out the power at 6500-7200rpm.
PuslarBrrrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #58
Scala

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuslarBrrrz View Post
OFT has/had tunes designed around the BPB. Without, the drop off in the upper rpm is dramatic. With the tune it helps to gain back and flatten out the power at 6500-7200rpm.
Thanks. Indeed the OFT was an affordable alternative for lower complexity tuning.
Scala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:47 PM   #59
BOND007_LTK

Drives: 2013 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So I got the OFT, then the crawford power blocks, and now I have gruppes UEL catless, all of which were tuned for the appropriate mod.

The last addition of the catless, I don't think it was as significant as increase as the BPB. THE BPB were a significant difference.

Of course, arguably, the header + OFT would be a significant difference from the OFT itself. That being said, maybe BPB and headers together don't make too much a difference, maybe someone can chime in?

Either way, BPB with OFT was pretty good.
BOND007_LTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:54 AM   #60
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOND007_LTK View Post
So I got the OFT, then the crawford power blocks, and now I have gruppes UEL catless, all of which were tuned for the appropriate mod.

The last addition of the catless, I don't think it was as significant as increase as the BPB. THE BPB were a significant difference.

Of course, arguably, the header + OFT would be a significant difference from the OFT itself. That being said, maybe BPB and headers together don't make too much a difference, maybe someone can chime in?

Either way, BPB with OFT was pretty good.
Hmmm interesting. I did this:

OFT 93 tune for stock header - pretty noticable difference in smoothness, tip in throttle 'aggressiveness', and a nice but subtle bump in power

OFT stage 2 93 tune + P&L catted EL 4-1 header - a pretty big difference in power, both in delivery and quantity, over just the OFT. Got rid of torque dip and provided a nice bump in torque 3500-5000 and then again 6500+. BUT it took a few drives for it to really feel good in day to day driving. ECU needs to adjust.

just recently, added BPB to the above combo, with timing mods per Shiv's post, first driving I noticed a small difference but was a little disappointed (also had someone riding in car with me). But over next couple of days as ECU re-adjusted for part throttle etc. I noticed a pretty significant difference - not quite as much as adding the headers but a good jump. Car feels more urgent now 3000+ and around 5500+ you get a nice surge toward redline. I don't even really notice any drop-off past 7000.

Not sure how long you've been driving this setup, but drive it around a bit and see if it improves. Other factors can influence as well, like temperature, added weight from passengers, or even your mood

Also it's possible you may be able to optimize cam/ignition timing a bit for your combo, but unless you know what you're doing with that, it would require a custom tune (from Shiv, who is hard to get a hold of these days I think).

Lastly headers, especially UEL, really shine in the low end. You shouldn't have much of a torque dip at this point, and you probably won't experience quite the gains in the upper mid RPM that you felt with the BPB's. But you should feel a significant bump in the lower mid RPM band (3000-5000).
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:54 AM   #61
FRS Justin

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Delicious Tuning did a write up on this a few years ago complete with dyno numbers.
FRS Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRS Justin For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 10:39 AM   #62
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS Justin View Post
Delicious Tuning did a write up on this a few years ago complete with dyno numbers.
Yup - I think there are a few threads from reputable tuners on here somewhere. Shiv definitely did one. Mike from Moto East did a test as well. Just do a google search if you're interested and they'll come up. Moto Mike's test really convinced me - and after some driving I definitely feel the changes (installed last weekend). Definitely worth considering if you are NA, not worth it if you are FI (or going that way).
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote