follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #1
neroman98

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS Track Build
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question ABS and Traction light- No Code

Hey guys,
So I was replacing my wheel studs and removed the front two wheel bearings in the process. As this was my first time, I accidentally forgot to remove the ABS/speed sensor on the first bearing. I didn't pull hard and soon realized the bearing was stuck due to the sensor not being removed. Upon inspection the sensor appeared fine but it may be fragile and the damage may not be visible. Anyway, after driving the car for about 5 minutes, the Traction and ABS lights came on. I scanned the car with my Open Flash and got P0462 which had to do with low fuel (I had half of a tank?). I erased the code and the traction and ABS lights are still on. No limp mode or CEL. I fear it may be due to the ABS sensor being possibly damaged but I'm not sure. The Open Flash still reads no codes but it does not read body codes so it could be the ABS Sensor. I have an old OBD2 code reader so I used that but still no code

Here's my question: Do you think a newer code reader would find the issue that an old code reader would not find? If so, which do you recommend
Also, any advice for diagnosing the issue without taking it to a dealership or shop that would charge me to diagnose it? Thanks
neroman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:00 PM   #2
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neroman98 View Post
Hey guys,
So I was replacing my wheel studs and removed the front two wheel bearings in the process. As this was my first time, I accidentally forgot to remove the ABS/speed sensor on the first bearing. I didn't pull hard and soon realized the bearing was stuck due to the sensor not being removed. Upon inspection the sensor appeared fine but it may be fragile and the damage may not be visible. Anyway, after driving the car for about 5 minutes, the Traction and ABS lights came on. I scanned the car with my Open Flash and got P0462 which had to do with low fuel (I had half of a tank?). I erased the code and the traction and ABS lights are still on. No limp mode or CEL. I fear it may be due to the ABS sensor being possibly damaged but I'm not sure. The Open Flash still reads no codes but it does not read body codes so it could be the ABS Sensor. I have an old OBD2 code reader so I used that but still no code

Here's my question: Do you think a newer code reader would find the issue that an old code reader would not find? If so, which do you recommend
Also, any advice for diagnosing the issue without taking it to a dealership or shop that would charge me to diagnose it? Thanks

The dealership will not only charge to diagnose they'll charge because it's been "tampered with"

You'll need to find a code reader with ABS and SRS capability, I think some bluetooth OBD Elm327 ones have that capability
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
neroman98 (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,824 Times in 16,428 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey guys,

… that's fer not payen attention to what you were doin … replacing the wheel studs is a 2 beer job, not a 4 beer job!

Now that you messed up the sensor and you know how it comes off and goes on, I suggest you buy a new sensor and put it on.

Then take er fer a spin and report back.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (07-23-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 01:33 PM   #4
neroman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
… that's fer not payen attention to what you were doin … replacing the wheel studs is a 2 beer job, not a 4 beer job!

Now that you messed up the sensor and you know how it comes off and goes on, I suggest you buy a new sensor and put it on.

Then take er fer a spin and report back.

humfrz
I’d like to diagnose the issue before I buy and replace things, and I’d also like the ability to diagnose these things in the future so I will look into a Bluetooth OBD2 connector with those capabilities!
Old 07-02-2018, 02:13 PM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,824 Times in 16,428 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
I’d like to diagnose the issue before I buy and replace things, and I’d also like the ability to diagnose these things in the future so I will look into a Bluetooth OBD2 connector with those capabilities!
Oh, I agree, that generally, diagnosing the problem first is much better that just throwing parts at a problem.

However, since your car was working OK before you ripped out the ABS/speed sensor, then when you put it back together, you get traction and ABS lights on the dash.. I would think that would be diagnosis enough …

How does the old saying go - paralysis by analysis ..

DAMN it's a slow day in Puyallup …

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
neroman98 (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 02:41 PM   #6
FRSBRZGT86FAN

I'm with humfrz here, it's highly unlikely its anything else. It's definitely tied to your wheel stud install
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-02-2018), neroman98 (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #7
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Agree with the others. The odds are VERY high that it's an issue with that sensor. Having said that, a proper code reader is a fantastic tool to own as well...

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
neroman98 (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 03:00 PM   #8
neroman98

I will buy a code reader, diagnose the issue and get back to you guys on what happens. Definitely annoyed that my small mistake may have cost $100 for a new sensor but that’s the name of the game...
The Following User Says Thank You to neroman98 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 03:45 PM   #9
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I will buy a code reader, diagnose the issue and get back to you guys on what happens. Definitely annoyed that my small mistake may have cost $100 for a new sensor but that’s the name of the game...
Shit happens. Wait until the car gets older. Rusty bolts, brittle hoses and plastic unions, etc... you end up breaking stuff that costs twice as much, and takes three times longer to repair than the part you were originally trying to fix.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.

Last edited by Stang70Fastback; 07-02-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (07-02-2018), humfrz (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 07:21 PM   #10
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
I'd suggest innova line of products, I've gotten tired of OBD2 bluetooth stuff for diagnostics honestly
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
neroman98 (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 10:28 PM   #11
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Disconnect the negative battery terminal for 30 min reconnect and see what happens.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:26 AM   #12
neroman98

Just a final update for anyone interested- I bought this OBD2 scanner: https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-OBDCh.../dp/B073XKQQQW the scanner works great, and after testing a couple apps I found one that detected ABS and SRS codes. Most apps do not detect these codes but Carista for IOS did. To my dismay, it cost $10 for the app to actually list the codes so that I could diagnose the car, but I could not find any free app that would diagnose ABS codes. It was the front RH speed sensor (Shocker). Hope this helps anyone in a similar situation!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neroman98 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-09-2018), Sportsguy83 (07-23-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 06:06 PM   #13
nkobns

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Changing the sensor made the warning light disappear ? Or you had to clear the code with the app ?

Do you know if that app can reset the steering angle sensor ?

Thank you.
nkobns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs and traction lights, abs sensor, cel, code reader