follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-26-2019, 04:55 PM   #1
omadab

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2014s included in recall?

Hello,
First time posting here
I've been looking into buying a Scion FRS and I have been avoiding all the 2013 since I'd rather have no problems with the engine. So, I have decided to look into 2014+. The issue is that the recall on the FA20 FRS engine is only for years 2013, while the Impreza and some other Subaru vehicles include 2014s. Also, through some unreliable sources, I have been told that 2014s could also have valve spring problems. So, does anyone know if 2014s also have this issue, or should I not worry and buy the car?

Thanks,
Oma
omadab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:39 PM   #2
Zycle

Drives: 13 FR-S
My understanding is very few 13's have had the issue, it is exceedingly rare. You never know when Toyota might discover something that needs to be recalled in newer model years too. There are some benefits to buying a 13 that needs the recall. You can get new spark plugs / throw out bearing etc. replaced just at cost of the parts (which are cheap) since the labor is being done as part of the recall. The labor for these services individually is quite pricey. I haven't scheduled mine yet, but the car has been on the road coming up to 6 years, and after the recall I'll have set back some major maintenance intervals as if the car was brand new again. Personally I think this would make 13s more attractive, especially ones included in the recall but produced later in the period.
Zycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:56 PM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
The 14s are not involved. This was a voluntary recall (not government forced) so if they felt there was an issue Subaru would have included the 14s. Lot tractability for the parts is pretty tightly controlled so they would know exactly when the problem ones were used.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:09 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,983 Times in 16,484 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omadab View Post
Hello,
First time posting here
I've been looking into buying a Scion FRS and I have been avoiding all the 2013 since I'd rather have no problems with the engine. So, I have decided to look into 2014+. The issue is that the recall on the FA20 FRS engine is only for years 2013, while the Impreza and some other Subaru vehicles include 2014s. Also, through some unreliable sources, I have been told that 2014s could also have valve spring problems. So, does anyone know if 2014s also have this issue, or should I not worry and buy the car?

Thanks,
Oma
Hello omadab, and welcome to the forum.

The recall is car specific, so, if you want to know which specific cars are being recalled, you can run the car's VIN and check it on-line.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:58 PM   #5
omadab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zycle View Post
My understanding is very few 13's have had the issue, it is exceedingly rare. You never know when Toyota might discover something that needs to be recalled in newer model years too. There are some benefits to buying a 13 that needs the recall. You can get new spark plugs / throw out bearing etc. replaced just at cost of the parts (which are cheap) since the labor is being done as part of the recall. The labor for these services individually is quite pricey. I haven't scheduled mine yet, but the car has been on the road coming up to 6 years, and after the recall I'll have set back some major maintenance intervals as if the car was brand new again. Personally I think this would make 13s more attractive, especially ones included in the recall but produced later in the period.
hmmm interesting
I'm pretty sure that I read of cases where the dealership was not willing to replace spark plugs for parts cost.
Also, I don't really know much about engines but would having this defected part cause more wear on the engine? I'd rather pay more for a car that has less wear.

ty
Old 01-26-2019, 08:58 PM   #6
omadab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The 14s are not involved. This was a voluntary recall (not government forced) so if they felt there was an issue Subaru would have included the 14s. Lot tractability for the parts is pretty tightly controlled so they would know exactly when the problem ones were used.
tyty makes me feel more comfortable getting a 14
Old 01-26-2019, 08:59 PM   #7
omadab

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hello omadab, and welcome to the forum.

The recall is car specific, so, if you want to know which specific cars are being recalled, you can run the car's VIN and check it on-line.

humfrz
thanks for the welcome
ill copy down the VIN from the post about the recalls and compare it to the ones im looking to buy. Thanks
Old 01-26-2019, 09:04 PM   #8
Tcoat

Quote:
thanks for the welcome
ill copy down the VIN from the post about the recalls and compare it to the ones im looking to buy. Thanks
Do it the other way around. Get the VINs of the ones you are looking at and enter them into the recall database. You don't want to have to look through several thousand numbers. There are no 14s on the list though.
humfrz (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 09:39 PM   #9
omadab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Do it the other way around. Get the VINs of the ones you are looking at and enter them into the recall database. You don't want to have to look through several thousand numbers. There are no 14s on the list though.
oh okay. Good idea. What database are you referring to?
The Following User Says Thank You to omadab For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 10:07 PM   #10
fx1mark

Drives: red 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
oh okay. Good idea. What database are you referring to?

Courtesy of Tcoat.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=177
fx1mark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fx1mark For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-26-2019), trvth (01-28-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 11:00 PM   #11
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,983 Times in 16,484 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
hmmm interesting
I'm pretty sure that I read of cases where the dealership was not willing to replace spark plugs for parts cost.
Also, I don't really know much about engines but would having this defected part cause more wear on the engine? I'd rather pay more for a car that has less wear.

ty
Well, the valve spring returns the valve to its closed position, after it has been forced open by the camshaft, to allow fuel/air into the combustion chamber or to let combustion gasses out.

Now, as I understand the situation, if the valve spring is weak, it can be slow doing its job, thus not completely sealing off the combustion chamber during the four cycle combustion process resulting in loss of fuel efficiency and power.

If the spring were to break, and not work at all, it wouldn't return the valve to its seated position and could leave it sitting in the combustion chamber when the piston comes up for an compression or exhaust stroke. It this case the top of the piston would hit the valve (in this type of engine) and the result would not be a pretty sight. The engine would go boom and stop running.

I think I have that about right - if not, I'm sure I'll hear about it -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 11:21 PM   #12
Tcoat

Quote:
Well, the valve spring returns the valve to its closed position, after it has been forced open by the camshaft, to allow fuel/air into the combustion chamber or to let combustion gasses out.

Now, as I understand the situation, if the valve spring is weak, it can be slow doing its job, thus not completely sealing off the combustion chamber during the four cycle combustion process resulting in loss of fuel efficiency and power.

If the spring were to break, and not work at all, it wouldn't return the valve to its seated position and could leave it sitting in the combustion chamber when the piston comes up for an compression or exhaust stroke. It this case the top of the piston would hit the valve (in this type of engine) and the result would not be a pretty sight. The engine would go boom and stop running.

humfrz
humfrz (01-27-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 11:28 PM   #13
Sapphireho
helmholtz resonator

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,370 Times in 8,676 Posts
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quote:

humfrz
Attached Images

Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-27-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 11:31 PM   #14
omadab

Quote:

humfrz

Haha well done my friend. So basically, aslong as the engine hasn't blown yet, there shouldn't be any problems other than normal engine wear?
The Following User Says Thank You to omadab For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-27-2019)