follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2014, 06:42 PM   #1
skyline1627

Drives: Scion FR-S White Out
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Sound deadening for Exhaust noise

Hi everyone,

So I have the Greddy Evo 3 exhaust with silencers. I have any ear condition (permanent holes in ear drum) which makes me very sensitive to low/high frequency. The silencers do help quiet a lot. I'm not too sure if its still hurting my ears since the install without the silencers did some damage.

I am going to the doctor for it in a few weeks. If he can't solve my condition then I am thinking of sound deadening my trunk. I do not want to sell my exhaust but that will be a last resort...

Does anyone have opinions and comments regarding sound deadening. Please share your experience. Thank you.
skyline1627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
tonystewart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It worked for my daughters car
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=14

I used Rammat and Ensolite throughout the car, very thorough in the trunk
I replaced the Perrin Catback with the stock exhaust
The car has an FA20Club Equal Length Catted Header, Perrin Overpipe, Nameless Catted Front Pipe with Helmholtz Resonator
Currently running OFT v2.01 Custom Tune

The car is quiet at idle and at cruise.
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS

Last edited by tonystewart; 07-30-2014 at 07:52 PM.
tonystewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline1627 View Post
Hi everyone,

So I have the Greddy Evo 3 exhaust with silencers. I have any ear condition (permanent holes in ear drum) which makes me very sensitive to low/high frequency. The silencers do help quiet a lot. I'm not too sure if its still hurting my ears since the install without the silencers did some damage.

I am going to the doctor for it in a few weeks. If he can't solve my condition then I am thinking of sound deadening my trunk. I do not want to sell my exhaust but that will be a last resort...

Does anyone have opinions and comments regarding sound deadening. Please share your experience. Thank you.

I feel your pain. I have Meniere's/tinnitus in my left ear so my 50+ year old ears can't tolerate "noise" like they used to. I had the TRD catback for a while, although I loved the tone, it annoyed my wife to the point that she wouldn't ride in my car and it would get a bit "annoying" to me as well on longer rides.

I contacted Don at Sounddeadenershowdown.com after searching thru other threads here and decided to give sound deadening a try. Took me about 4 days (a lot of work!), but I did the entire interior of the car with CLD tiles, Mass loaded vinyl, closed cell foam and 3M thinsulate based on Don's recommendations. Probably added about 90 pounds to the car but the cabin noise went down significantly and the stereo also sounds much better now.

I ended up selling the TRD catback because I wanted a header (OFH) and figured that having both would negate what I had just accomplished with sound deadening. So currently I am running completely stock exhaust and it's super quite inside. I can have a normal conversation on the Bluetooth now whereas I couldn't before. I even have the sound tube opened back up again so I can hear some fake engine sounds.

Do a little research on sounddeadenershowdown.com. Our cars have very little in the way of sound deadening material in them so we get noise from many sources (tires, road, wind, engine, exhaust, wife yakin’ etc.). You'll have to find your balance between what you want to hear inside, what you want the car to sound like outside and what you're willing to give up performance wise (you will feel the extra lb's of the sound deadening material which was one of the reasons that I opted for the OFH and OFT, to regain what I had lost...then some)

Good luck to you.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
GotBRZ1691 (07-31-2014), skyline1627 (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
tonystewart

BirdTRD is correct
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS
The Following User Says Thank You to tonystewart For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
skyline1627

Garage
Thank you for the reply. It really helped a lot.

90lbs is quiet a bit of extra weight. I want to try to keep the added weight to a minimal. I hope just by doing the trunk that it will be enough to get what I want.

I been reading review on Dynamat, Raamat etc. I'm just looking for the best one for the least amount of added weight.

I am definitely looking into the product you advised. I like the look so far compared to dynamat. It looks more natural without the tinfoil look.

If anyone else has any suggestions feel free to inform me. You will be helping with my research. Thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to skyline1627 For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #6
arghx7

Drives: car
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

Attached Images

arghx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to arghx7 For This Useful Post:
akahenry (08-06-2014), BAMF86 (07-30-2014), BirdTRD (07-30-2014), BlueDubbinTDI (07-31-2014), jbsali (07-31-2014), Model Citizen (08-01-2014), P@ul (07-31-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
tonystewart

What movie is that from?
Old 07-30-2014, 11:56 PM   #8
skyline1627

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arghx7 View Post

I can tolerate certain frequency. When my bro had his boosted civic with a 3inch exhaust. It didn't bother me. Every exhaust is different. I'm not going to let my condition stop me from doing something I want to do. Please don't be a troll.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skyline1627 For This Useful Post:
JW89225 (07-31-2014), Lav (04-16-2022)
Old 07-31-2014, 01:17 AM   #9
P@ul
Apostle

Drives: JesusMobile
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I think the most strait forward thing you can do is cut out NVH material to match the trunk liner. Like MLV or that recycled foam stuff. That should help out a bit with the exhaust. But honestly, there's plenty of quiet exhausts that add power without the noise. I have an Ark Design Road spec on my car and it's very quiet.

The tire noise on this car is killing me. I need to buy more NVH material...
P@ul is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to P@ul For This Useful Post:
skyline1627 (07-31-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 09:17 AM   #10
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
If you are weight conscious only apply the heavy raamat to panels that audibly ring when you wrap on them with your knuckles. Use Ensolite everywhere. Remember that a panel can only make noise if it can transfer the vibrational energy to the air. A good layer of ensolite removes that possibility and it weighs basically nothing. I'm going to start going over the car this weekend. I'll take lots of pics.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
skyline1627 (07-31-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 11:54 AM   #11
tonystewart

That's how I did, tapping and applying rammat, ensolite everywhere
Old 07-31-2014, 01:39 PM   #12
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I would concentrate on sealing off the trunk area from the cabin. That means the areas around the rear wheel wells which act as a megaphone from the rear. Also the rear deck area with it's many holes. Both areas should be completely sealed off from the cabin. I would look into using expanding foam to build up a solid barrier near the rear wheel wells and then cover that with sound deadening mats and closed cell foam. I'd also just plaster the rear deck from the top with sound deadening and closed cell foam.

I wouldn't bother with the trunk itself if you are concerned about weight. You need to seal it off from the cabin. People do the trunk because they have subs back there and want to eliminate rattles and such.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to industrial For This Useful Post:
skyline1627 (07-31-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 03:37 PM   #13
skyline1627

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by P@ul View Post
I But honestly, there's plenty of quiet exhausts that add power without the noise. I have an Ark Design Road spec on my car and it's very quiet.

The tire noise on this car is killing me. I need to buy more NVH material...

I just don't want to go through the hassle of buying and reselling an exhaust and possibly lose out on money. I love the greddy sound from the outside so I'm going to stick with it.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:38 PM   #14
skyline1627

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
If you are weight conscious only apply the heavy raamat to panels that audibly ring when you wrap on them with your knuckles. Use Ensolite everywhere. Remember that a panel can only make noise if it can transfer the vibrational energy to the air. A good layer of ensolite removes that possibility and it weighs basically nothing. I'm going to start going over the car this weekend. I'll take lots of pics.

Thanks a lot. I'll look into that. And I shall be waiting for your pictures!