follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #15
asmallchild

Drives: Altima 3.5SL, Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looks like you are not going to listen to us

Normally I would not recommend taking internet advice but when that aligns with your parents' advice, it is worth heeding

You work hard for your money, it's worth putting it towards something meaningful like further education or a house.

A $25K car? You may not see it today, but you have enough people telling you THAT would be a poor investment choice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to asmallchild For This Useful Post:
FoolCyclist (04-29-2013), jmaryt (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #16
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You live in canada. Have you considered WRX or STI? Or any of the impreza, outback, legacy subarus? I'd think for a working, commuting college student who gets a lot of snow, you'd want more hosspower and awd to get around. For 15k you can buy a nice used subaru and have lots of fun with that.

LOL at your differentiation between college and university. College is typically interchangeable with university in conversation, not getting into the specifics whether you went to a vocational communty college or an ivy league school.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #17
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
You live in canada. Have you considered WRX or STI? Or any of the impreza, outback, legacy subarus? I'd think for a working, commuting college student who gets a lot of snow, you'd want more hosspower and awd to get around. For 15k you can buy a nice used subaru and have lots of fun with that.

LOL at your differentiation between college and university. College is typically interchangeable with university in conversation, not getting into the specifics whether you went to a vocational communty college or an ivy league school.
Canadian people think of college and university totally different. You never hear them say "how's college?" They always say "how's university?" My friend's dad is Canadian and it took some getting used to.

OP, if you can easily afford it, go for it. I am 20 and I just picked mine up Thursday. I am taking 19 credit hours at school and still working, making good money. I don't understand why everyone thinks any kid who wants this car will beat it up. I've never had a "beater". Including this car, I've now had 3 very nice cars. It has taught me to appreciate them more than some piece of shit. I say if you can do it, go for it. Most of these people are probably just mad that a 17 year old can afford the same car that they drive while they're in their 40s.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #18
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Guys, guys, it doesn't matter what you say, he's set his mind into it.

Now, I'll give you one recommend. If you're serious bout buying BRZ, your parent will agree w you buying the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
OP, if you can easily afford it, go for it. I am 20 and I just picked mine up Thursday. I am taking 19 credit hours at school and still working, making good money. I don't understand why everyone thinks any kid who wants this car will beat it up. I've never had a "beater". Including this car, I've now had 3 very nice cars. It has taught me to appreciate them more than some piece of shit. I say if you can do it, go for it. Most of these people are probably just mad that a 17 year old can afford the same car that they drive while they're in their 40s.
No, these members are not hating or d!ck just to piss off young ppl. They're telling their experience from their life or someone close to them.

Never heard the quote "Respect the elders"?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #19
husker741
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post

Now, I'll give you one recommend. If you're serious bout buying BRZ, your parent will agree w you buying the car.
It's funny, because he asked for advice to help convince his parents, yet everyone just tells him not to buy it.
The Following User Says Thank You to husker741 For This Useful Post:
SLICVIC (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #20
husker741
Banned

OP, I actually had to convince my mom it was the right choice. My dad was all for it, my mom just hates seeing us spend any money. Here's my list I showed her.

Cheaper insurance
Good gas mileage
Newer with newest technology, i.e. safety
Under warranty
Top IIHS Safety Pick (only one in its class)
Less power
Makes me happy
Less problems and under warranty= less stuff to fix for less money
Not a convertible
High resale value
Won't have to worry about replacing old parts.
Bluetooth
Less money in the long run

Keep in mind, this was comparing this car to my SC430, so that's why it says stuff about less problems and less money.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #21
brzninja

Drives: 2015 WRB WRX Premium
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Let your Father test drive the car and his thoughts on the car will quickly change.

Every time I go visit my parents my Dad wants to take the BRZ for a spin.

But I do agree with everyone on the board when they say to wait a few years before you get this type of car. But if you REALLY think you won't be reckless, go for it. It's the best car I've owned.

....Or get a nice used 2008-2010 Cadillac CTS if you are worried about appearances at your university.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #22
husker741
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post

No, these members are not hating or d!ck just to piss off young ppl. They're telling their experience from their life or someone close to them.

Never heard the quote "Respect the elders"?
Yes, I've heard it. I'm not disrespecting anyone. I just don't get why when he asks for advice to convince his parents, he's told to get something else. That isn't what he wanted help with. It's disprectful for any of these guys to assume he'll drive stupidly because he's 17. Like the guy who said it seems like he'll be stupid. What the hell prompted that? He didn't say anything about driving stupidly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to husker741 For This Useful Post:
monkeedoo (04-28-2013), SLICVIC (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #23
ntron1
Sarcastic Bastard

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ, '13 Mini, 1999 Blazer
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If you live in Canada what will you drive from November thru April? Certainly not the BRZ @ 17 years old in the snow right?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #24
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
It's funny, because he asked for advice to help convince his parents, yet everyone just tells him not to buy it.
Cuz most of the time, these threads are started by kids are:
1. Making parents buying for them.
2. Making parents pay tuition.
3. Buy it, but can't afford it & sell it <6 month.
4. Or all the above.

Now, that's not always the case, there are few rare breeds... but that's hard to come by, just like girls that into cars lol

That's why most members gave up & instead of giving good reason to buy FRS/BRZ, they give reason not to buy.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #25
aghuman

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yea I'd definitely wait until after graduation. I know it's tough cause you want the car now and everything but its the smart thing to do even though it may sound stupid at this time. I wanted this car for a while when I was still in school but I opted for a used Mazda 3 for like 5k which I had the time of my life in because I properly put miles on a manual car and learned the ins and outs of it before buying my dream car (FR-S) when I finished school and had a proper job lined up for me to be able to justify it. That's just my opinion though, i know it was really tough for me to wait too, but in the end, I feel fantastic that I did so.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #26
pjw690

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
I was in a similar situation. When I graduated high school, I had a nice chunk of money, and due to me driving an 80s Camaro through high school it's obvious to see what I wanted to buy for "university". I am so glad my senses kicked in and stopped me! You may be able to afford the car, and the gas, and the insurance, but at the end of the day...you will be driving it to school where 99% of the people won't care half as much for their car let alone the cars around them. Every single one of my friends who had a new car did not escape the first semester without a scratch, door ding, or vandalism. If you are prepared for that, then go for it.

Plus, you will be in college! That will be 4 maybe more years of your life where you have a resemblance of freedom, bad choices will be made, and it will be a godsend to have money saved away instead of sinking it into a new car. Take the common consensus and purchase a used vehicle that is reliable, fuel efficient, and cheap on insurance and save the new car reward for when you graduate college. And also on a car that by then will not be a first year model and will have most of the kinks worked out.

But take it for what it's worth, it is ultimately your decision. No one is going to make it for you. But asking a bunch of guys on the Internet, who have been in your shoes, if this choice at your age is a wise one, the vast majority will say patience. And I defer to the beginning of my post where I wanted a new Camaro, 4 years later and I saw the car I really wanted in the BRZ. Amazing what a few years does for your perspective.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #27
warplane95

Drives: -
Ho wow, first of all. Never my parents will pay me a car.

In canada university and college is very different for us.

Also, alot a people from brzquebec tell the car have bether handling in the snow compare with a truck or a fwd without tcs. conclusion is rwd with tcs +snow= good.

to people who think every teenager like to unrespect the law. just think thats thrue for the generation X, just see the statistic
Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #28
warplane95

Drives: -
Quote:
OP, I actually had to convince my mom it was the right choice. My dad was all for it, my mom just hates seeing us spend any money. Here's my list I showed her.

Cheaper insurance
Good gas mileage
Newer with newest technology, i.e. safety
Under warranty
Top IIHS Safety Pick (only one in its class)
Less power
Makes me happy
Less problems and under warranty= less stuff to fix for less money
Not a convertible
High resale value
Won't have to worry about replacing old parts.
Bluetooth
Less money in the long run

Keep in mind, this was comparing this car to my SC430, so that's why it says stuff about less problems and less money.
thank you

Envoyé depuis mon SGH-I747M avec Tapatalk

Closed Thread