follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-05-2024, 08:48 AM   #1
FR-Saliba

Drives: 13' Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oil Temperature via OBD

Hello Guys, I've been through the threads where it says you can read oil temp from the OBD on your phone via Torque app or etc..

Well i followed the steps, threw in the required PIDs, but oil temp isn't still reading on the Torque pro app.

also tried via another app which should have the PID built in
didn't work as well.

Car is a 2013 Scion FR-S with an OTS A01G Tune with Tactrix/Ecuflash.

don't know if this was mentioned before but i couldn't find something to solve this issue.

and the oil temperature from the OBD accurate in the 1st place?
FR-Saliba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 09:08 AM   #2
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Getting the oil temp PIDs never worked for me either on the free Torque app. The paid version has a built-in Engine Oil Temperature PID and that works fine.
I can't comment on how accurate it is, but it looks like it's reasonable on the street (staying close to coolant temp but warming/cooling slower) and matches other people's numbers on the track (~270 before oil cooler, ~220-230 after).
Ohio Enthusiast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 09:35 AM   #3
FR-Saliba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Getting the oil temp PIDs never worked for me either on the free Torque app. The paid version has a built-in Engine Oil Temperature PID and that works fine.
I can't comment on how accurate it is, but it looks like it's reasonable on the street (staying close to coolant temp but warming/cooling slower) and matches other people's numbers on the track (~270 before oil cooler, ~220-230 after).
I know the 17+ has already a oil temperature in the cluster
or you talking about a previous model?
and you directly choose the oil temperature from the app when adding a display(cluster etc..) ?
Old 02-05-2024, 09:51 AM   #4
Ohio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Saliba View Post
I know the 17+ has already a oil temperature in the cluster
or you talking about a previous model?
and you directly choose the oil temperature from the app when adding a display(cluster etc..) ?
My 2018 does not have the LCD screen in the instrument cluster (i.e. exactly the same as the 2016- models), and I was referring only to the Torque Android app on my phone. I do not know if there is an OBD difference between the 2016- and 2017+ models, though.

Going to "Realtime Information -> Add display -> Select type of display -> Select sensor" one of the options is "Engine Oil Temperature". This only became available to me in the paid Torque application - the free Torque app didn't have that sensor option (and the various custom PIDs listed online for the Twins did not work).
Old 02-05-2024, 09:51 AM   #5
Compelica

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
What OBD dongle are you using?
Old 02-05-2024, 02:00 PM   #6
2.2Lude

Drives: BRZ
I'm planning on using my Veepeak OBDCheck BLE Bluetooth dongle + OBDFusion App iOS to monitor water and oil temps on the track for my 2014 BRZ.

I previously used this combo on my G37 and it worked great, haven't had a chance to test what data this combo can pull on the BRZ yet though. I'll give it a try in the next day or so and report back.
2.2Lude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 02:03 PM   #7
2.2Lude

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
My 2018 does not have the LCD screen in the instrument cluster (i.e. exactly the same as the 2016- models), and I was referring only to the Torque Android app on my phone. I do not know if there is an OBD difference between the 2016- and 2017+ models, though.

Going to "Realtime Information -> Add display -> Select type of display -> Select sensor" one of the options is "Engine Oil Temperature". This only became available to me in the paid Torque application - the free Torque app didn't have that sensor option (and the various custom PIDs listed online for the Twins did not work).
This is for Harry's lap timer and not Torque but maybe there's something helpful here : http://forum.gps-laptimer.de/viewtop...=1364&start=30
2.2Lude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 02:12 AM   #8
FR-Saliba

Quote:

oh okay, so only use the "Engine oil temperature" from the displays of the app without adding any PID or equations or else.

and nothing has to do with tuning files ?
Old 02-06-2024, 02:14 AM   #9
FR-Saliba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compelica View Post
What OBD dongle are you using?
the blue ELM327 v1.5

it connects to the ECU via the app
unlike the v2.1
Old 02-06-2024, 07:58 AM   #10
Ohio Enthusiast

Quote:
oh okay, so only use the "Engine oil temperature" from the displays of the app without adding any PID or equations or else.

and nothing has to do with tuning files ?
Correct. Just the paid Torque app.
Old 02-06-2024, 08:40 AM   #11
Compelica

Quote:
the blue ELM327 v1.5

it connects to the ECU via the app
unlike the v2.1
As I understand it - some clones are unable to do certain commands in the ELM327 instruction set hence they fail to query some mode 21 PIDs (like the custom PID to get the oil temperature).

You can download the ELM327 Identifier app and it will test each command to rule out that it's the dongle - I'm using the Torque Pro app as well via the custom PID and it works fine.

Last edited by Compelica; 02-06-2024 at 09:25 AM.
Compelica is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Compelica For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 08:52 AM   #12
Ohio Enthusiast

Quote:
As I understand it - some clones are unable to do certain commands in the ELM327 hence they fail to query some mode 21 PIDs (like the custom PID to get the oil temperature).

You can download the ELM327 Identifier app and it will test each command to rule out that it's the dongle - I'm using the Torque Pro app as well via the custom PID and it works fine.
Interesting. I use a generic blue ELM327 as well, and the custom PID didn't work for me with the free Torque app, but the built in Engine Oil Temperature "sensor" works fine with the paid Torque app.

Nice suggestion about the ELM327 Identifier app - my OBD dongle passed up to 1.4, then failed 1.4b and above.

What's the custom PID that you use for oil temp? I've seen a few variations but none worked for me with the free Torque.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:27 AM   #13
Compelica

Quote:
Interesting. I use a generic blue ELM327 as well, and the custom PID didn't work for me with the free Torque app, but the built in Engine Oil Temperature "sensor" works fine with the paid Torque app.

Nice suggestion about the ELM327 Identifier app - my OBD dongle passed up to 1.4, then failed 1.4b and above.

What's the custom PID that you use for oil temp? I've seen a few variations but none worked for me with the free Torque.
It's this one here: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23530

I have not used the free version unfortunately - jumped straight to the paid version. Or if you don't want to deal with the custom stuff, you can get OBD Fusion + Toyota addon and it'll work (I have that too, just that I still prefer the customization of Torque).

Regarding the ELM327 version identification; you don't need to have the latest version for it to work. Some commands were only released on the newer versions (and aren't necessarily used) so it may be OK to fail the higher versions. But if you're seeing both supported/unsupported counts on a particular version - that likely indicates that it's a clone which does not support the full list of commands as expected of that version.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:47 AM   #14
Ohio Enthusiast

Quote:
Are you referring to this one?
Quote:
OBD2 Mode and PID: 2101
Minimum Value: -40
Maximum Value: 215 (this is just the maximum that this location can support, which does not mean the sensor can read that high)
Scale factor: x1
Unit type: C
Equation: AC-40 (no space between A and C; "AC" is the location within the response)
OBD Header: 7E0 (Auto also works, but seems to take longer)
Quote:
I have not used the free version unfortunately - jumped straight to the paid version.
Does the built-in "Engine Oil Temperature" not work for you that you use a custom PID?