follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 11-08-2015, 12:11 AM   #57
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Drives: '14 White FR-S, '01 turbo mini taco
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceyfan View Post
so that absolves you and the sales person.
also true, at least in terms of liability, thought i can't necessarily say the same about protection of his continued employment
Toyarzee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toyarzee For This Useful Post:
paiceyfan (01-17-2016)
Old 11-09-2015, 01:15 AM   #58
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
45 minutes? How about destroying a clutch in under 45 SECONDS?!

[ame]http://youtu.be/oebzAIZEfxQ[/ame]

Seriously - its not likely, but trying to launch an AWD car can destroy a clutch easily. In a rwd car, too much power and you spin the tires. But in an AWD car you're not going to spin all 4 by dumping the clutch - you're gonna kill the easiest thing to break in the driveline - ie, the clutch. Likewise, if you don't dunp the clutch but rather ease it out while holding the engine at higher rpms (ie - like trying to keep the engine in boost and then letting out the clutch), you're gonna burn the heck out of the clutch pretty quick like Corvette guy.

When the car mags test out cars like the AWD Lambos, the cars often leave on a trailer and the test results of 0-60 are not great bc "the clutch started slipping after a few hard launches, and by the end of testing the car had to leave on a trailer". You read that pretty often with testing a high hp car with a manual transmission and AWD.

And driving your car for less than a year does not make you experienced in driving manual. And even saying you often would burn your clutch is not helping your case.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #59
BRZoomTX

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
45 minutes? How about destroying a clutch in under 45 SECONDS?!

Seriously - its not likely, but trying to launch an AWD car can destroy a clutch easily. In a rwd car, too much power and you spin the tires. But in an AWD car you're not going to spin all 4 by dumping the clutch - you're gonna kill the easiest thing to break in the driveline - ie, the clutch. Likewise, if you don't dunp the clutch but rather ease it out while holding the engine at higher rpms (ie - like trying to keep the engine in boost and then letting out the clutch), you're gonna burn the heck out of the clutch pretty quick like Corvette guy.

When the car mags test out cars like the AWD Lambos, the cars often leave on a trailer and the test results of 0-60 are not great bc "the clutch started slipping after a few hard launches, and by the end of testing the car had to leave on a trailer". You read that pretty often with testing a high hp car with a manual transmission and AWD.

And driving your car for less than a year does not make you experienced in driving manual. And even saying you often would burn your clutch is not helping your case.
I've witnessed many a "clutch dump" on the new WRX and STIs at the drag strip, and yesterday I did not see a newer STI not dumping the clutch off the line. Import Faceoff in Ennis, TX was yesterday.

The cars can take much more than a single hard launch. One clutch drop on a brand new STI is not going to ruin the clutch to the point of needing a replacement. Shorten the life, definitely. You may be changing it out at 30k miles rather than 50k depending on how much it slips. More often than not, you're spinning tires for a couple seconds which gives minimal clutch wear compared to the video you linked. Now if you're hitting the strip every weekend in an AWD car like a STI or an Evo, absolutely prepare to replace your clutch in a month depending on how many passes you make.

The video you linked is a completely different situation. The combined force of the rear brakes and large, sticky tires against a hot surface was too much for the tires to freely spin. Therefore, the vette dummy burned up his clutch. Dropping the clutch would allow the tires to freely spin, as you are not sitting there on the brakes trying to do a burnout. He then sat there and burned up the clutch because he thought he was doing a burnout, which ultimately destroyed the clutch.

If the vette driver were to let off the brakes after around 10 seconds, the clutch would have been completely fine. It would have worn out faster, but it would have lasted. Clutches are not some flimsy piece of metal. They can take the abuse of hard launches. You are not going to replace a clutch after a short test drive with one or two hard launches, even on an AWD car.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:46 AM   #60
uEih

Drives: CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
When my car was new I had burning clutch smell when I drove very carefully for the break in. The slightly slip with the clutch sometime gets that clutch smell.
uEih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:24 PM   #61
computeruser

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Why did you even respond to / acknowledge this?
Amen.

I would stop communicating with them further. Nothing good will come of putting your "excuses" or "explanations" in writing.
computeruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #62
Fishbed77

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Why did you even respond to / acknowledge this?
THIS.^

I wouldn't have responded at all to the dealer's original e-mail.

They have no proof you damaged the car, so this will never go anywhere.
Fishbed77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:48 PM   #63
itwillboost
35r + 35r = 70rr ?

Drives: Subaru BRZ Time Attack S13
Garage
It's the dealerships responsibility. They screwed up and if anything happened to you while driving since you were alone you weren't covered by their insurance. Let them know you can sue because they carelessly put you on the road with an uninsured car. They will quickly leave you alone.
itwillboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #64
Varelco

Drives: '15 GT86 & '22 GR86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruser View Post
Amen.

I would stop communicating with them further. Nothing good will come of putting your "excuses" or "explanations" in writing.
Exactly. You are digging yourself a hole my friend. You appear to be justifying a outcome that you did not cause. If I had received such a letter from a dealer I'd rip it up.
Varelco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wrx sti brz test drive