follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-14-2019, 08:11 PM   #43
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
"we can't work on this car because there is no warranty on it"

Such BS. It seems that when a car is taken to most dealers their first order of business is to try to deny the customer the covered work.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #44
aemravan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have yet to have a pleasant experience at the dealership over the last 15 years. I try to steer clear as much as I can and do my own work.

I should mention that this is the same dealership that about 10 years ago I took my Supra in for an alignment, while waiting I saw my car pull out and drive away and was gone for a 30 minute "test drive". When the car came back the plugs were fouled, peak boost read at 23psi (on pump gas) but the mechanic claimed he doesn't even what a boost controller is and only did the standard procedure. After I proved to them that the boost controller was messed with and car was abused the manager literally looked me in my eyes and said "he had to make sure that with the new alignment that were wasn't any torque steer" I quite seriously almost punched him right in the mouth.
aemravan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aemravan For This Useful Post:
EzyBreezy (06-30-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 10:13 AM   #45
aemravan

Well, finally a couple of updates.

Got around to finally working on the car a little. Did my research for 3 days on the documentation and went to town. Disassembled the front end to make my life easier (all fenders and stuff were finger tight anyway and need paint).

Spent maybe 3 hour getting garage ready and undoing some stuff on day one. And another 2 hours on day 2. If the garage was bigger and I didnt need to take the car down and push out in the driveway I probably could have pulled this start to finish in about 3 hours.

Did all the work myself with no help so everything considered its actually a pretty damn easy motor to pull. I was pleasantly surprised that the harness literally disconnects and most of it stays with the motor.

After pulling off the valve cover I found exactly what I had thought. The rocker has slipped off. The spring however isnt broken. This was surprising but I have a theory.

A piece of plastic from the intake broke off in the accident and later wedged itself between the open valve and head. This allowed the rocker to lose contact with the valve and either that was enough to make it jump off its seat, or the piston tapped the valve and that knocked the rocker off since the cam wasnt in contact at this time.

Either way, the damage could have been a heck of a lot worse... the head could have been trashed with a loose rocker thrashing around.

I will probably replace the rocker though it doesnt really seem damaged at all..

My next step is to figure out whether or not there was contact to the valve and if its bent or not. I'll probably rig up the starter and try another compression test to start with and see if the numbers are up to the healthier 180psi of cylinder 1. If not, the head will come off and a valve will go in. I dont believe the valve guide is trashed bc even if the valve is bent it is only barely.

Stay tuned for more ! I'm hoping for a best case scenario where the valve is healthy which will save me like 135 bucks in parts ! But at the end of the day either way it isnt so terrible. Stay tuned for more !

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aemravan For This Useful Post:
MCTeeJ (06-12-2019), MJones_RB (06-26-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 10:55 AM   #46
aemravan

Got a little more work in this weekend. Everything is apart and awaiting parts.

After pulling out the rocker that fell out of place I liked what I saw visually with the valve so decided to do a leak-down test. Was pleasantly surprised that the #3 cylinder was almost 100% sealed (about 7-9% leakage according to my tester), right in line with all the others. So there was no contact to the piston like I had originally thought. Saved myself about a days worth of extra work plus almost 190 bucks with shipping.

Total parts cost with extra tube of FIPG is at $405. Not too shabby.

My next step is to remove ALL the old gasket material..and boy is there a lot of it! This will be by far the most challenging part of the entire rebuild. Other than that so far everything has been beyond straight forward, even with my limited space and low-budget tool set.
humfrz (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #47
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Good going! -

That makes me tired just looking at all that work you have done -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #48
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Yes it's a very easy motor to pull, looking at the pics, you went a bit above and beyond making room, a tech that's touched a few subarus will have one of these out in an hour.

Make sure the valve shim that would have normally been wedged between the valve and rocker is accounted for!
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #49
aemravan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
Yes it's a very easy motor to pull, looking at the pics, you went a bit above and beyond making room, a tech that's touched a few subarus will have one of these out in an hour.

Make sure the valve shim that would have normally been wedged between the valve and rocker is accounted for!
The front bumper and fenders all needed to come off anyway for paint, so at that point I figured I would give myself a little extra room to work with in case I couldn't pull the motor straight up (having to work in a pretty confined space as you can tell ) so I figured worst case I can pull it straight out if anything.

Regarding the shim, that was the first thing I checked for, luckily it stayed right in place and didnt go anywhere. Again, very fortunate considering the circumstances and how bad this could have been not only for the head, but bottom end as well. This had a potential total engine failure recipe in the making
Old 06-12-2019, 06:24 AM   #50
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

BTW, are you still planning on taking the cam caps and timing cover off to replace the rocker?

If it's just that one rocker, I'd consider wedging it back in like that. If it came out, and can probably go back in. Since your intake is probably off, I'd push the valve open and use a helping hand to insert two pieces (one on each side) of soft rubber hose between the valve and it's seat, that'd give you room up top to squeeze the rocker back in, you'd be in-n-out of that engine just touching the valve cover. Pretty sweet deal.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:32 AM   #51
aemravan

Quote:
BTW, are you still planning on taking the cam caps and timing cover off to replace the rocker?

If it's just that one rocker, I'd consider wedging it back in like that. If it came out, and can probably go back in. Since your intake is probably off, I'd push the valve open and use a helping hand to insert two pieces (one on each side) of soft rubber hose between the valve and it's seat, that'd give you room up top to squeeze the rocker back in, you'd be in-n-out of that engine just touching the valve cover. Pretty sweet deal.
the cams and everything are already off. I have considered replacing the rocker back in place and leaving it as is but the recall is on the springs is still outstanding and the last thing I want to happen is to put the motor back with a quick fix and have a spring fail later and go through this again lol.

The process to get everything pulled off was super quick and easy, only thing that I see complicated and time consuming will be cleaning off the silicone and applying the new stuff.

The parts are on order and I'm hoping to have them next week, the plan is to have the silicone cleaned off of all surfaced by end of the weekend and have everything ready to go. Getting excited!
Old 06-12-2019, 11:44 AM   #52
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemravan View Post
t
The process to get everything pulled off was super quick and easy, only thing that I see complicated and time consuming will be cleaning off the silicone and applying the new stuff.
Check ALL the passages, anyplace a piece of old silicone could fly, even if you don't think any went that way. Check the pan, check the oil pickup tube, then check again. No one wants your 86 on the permanently disabled list
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gunman For This Useful Post:
aemravan (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 06:13 AM   #53
aemravan

And while I wait on parts for the engine the rest of the build is getting some time

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aemravan For This Useful Post:
Gunman (06-13-2019), humfrz (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 08:02 PM   #54
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

While you've got those cam carriers out make sure to clean or replace your OCV filters!

Also, nice... carbon overlay?
Old 06-14-2019, 12:14 PM   #55
aemravan

Quote:
While you've got those cam carriers out make sure to clean or replace your OCV filters!

Also, nice... carbon overlay?
Thanks man, im big on carbon fiber so decided to use up some of the resin and 2x2 twill I had laying around

as far as the camshaft carriers, those are actually staying in place. I don't have a need to take them off as everything I need access to is accessible right now.

Going to do my best to get everything cleaned/blown out as much as possible and double and triple check to make sure there isn't any silicone left anywhere.

Need to look at dropping the oil pan, hopefully its a simple matter with more silicone FIPG to put back on.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:52 AM   #56
aemravan

A little update:

-parts are on their way and should be here either this weekend or early next week.
-The motor is 98% prepared, took 3 different days to scrape off the existing gasket. What a pain in the ass! The gasket remover certainly helps but is still quite a pain to get everything scraped off.
-step 2 to the prep will be to go over once again all the parts and then do a full clean-up on the motor to make sure I didn't get any silicone anywhere it should be. The oil pan is removed as well to help ensure that. Cleaning out the blind holes will be fun..

with that done, I also had quite an impulsive day yesterday and now have an OFT, intake, tail lights, exhaust and a carbon wing on the way as well
humfrz (06-21-2019)