follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #15
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkharmony View Post
Between the two of you, we've got an engine designer and a corporate strategist. I'm certain Toyota and Subaru never conceived of the things you're bringing to the table. We'll put you both in touch immediately to sort out what the resources of two giant car-makers couldn't.
Obviously the 2.0L was decided due to tax reasons in some countries and also slightly lower costs in achieving a higher redline and the lack of a multi-stage intake also lowers cost and complexity a bit but I still think it would have been a worthy trade off, especially for the American market because it's not that much more costly or complex and would have likely impressed more drivers, which would have led to more sales. But oh well, maybe next time.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #16
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Even if Subaru were on their own for the new BRZ, which doesn't appear that way, the BRZ shares a TON of parts with the WRX. All the new Subaru engines are based off the FA20 architecture in the twins. The chassis is basically a 2wd WRX. aftermarket sway bars and control arms swap between the 2. The only bespoke things to the twins are the sheet metal, gearbox, and interior.

Even this year the BRZ/86 sales numbers keep up closely with the Miata, which is a younger car. I'm not buying the 'nobody is buying the twins' narrative. Sure the volume isn't high, but it's respectable for the type of car. My dealers (both Toyota and Subaru) don't have any sitting on the lot for more than a week, and good luck finding a used one around here that sits for that long.
I'll certainly accept that there is parts sharing between the WRX and BRZ. From a corporate perspective, that makes a lot of financial sense and could be the basis for future development apart from Toyota.

You are right about the sales numbers, but the difference is that the Miata uses far more parts from the other Mazda cars than the BRZ/86. The engine and transmission from the Miata is used in the Mazda 6 and 3 as is the steering, brakes, and infotainment systems. The Miata is used as the corporate performance brand and contributes to the overall brand ID while the Subaru brand ID is more related to 4 wheel drive and safety. This category, as a whole, in order to be supported by a profit making venture, needs to provide more to the corporation than its volume would dictate. But then again, I'm talking about corporate management theory here and not necessarily about inside information I don't have. So we'll see.

I'm still buying the BRZ because it is a very good car that fits my psychological needs. I like the way it drives. I like the way it looks. It is a boatload of fun. And it brings me back to my illogical love of true sports cars. Now take that!!!!
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rvoll For This Useful Post:
sato (04-26-2018), Tristor (04-06-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 12:41 PM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...58#post3068358

Old 04-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #18
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
You are right about the sales numbers, but the difference is that the Miata uses far more parts from the other Mazda cars than the BRZ/86. The engine and transmission from the Miata is used in the Mazda 6 and 3
I kinda doubt that the Miata uses the same transmission as the 3 and 6...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Benji (04-09-2018), e30kawi (04-06-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #19
Tcoat

Quote:
I'll certainly accept that there is parts sharing between the WRX and BRZ. From a corporate perspective, that makes a lot of financial sense and could be the basis for future development apart from Toyota.

You are right about the sales numbers, but the difference is that the Miata uses far more parts from the other Mazda cars than the BRZ/86. The engine and transmission from the Miata is used in the Mazda 6 and 3 as is the steering, brakes, and infotainment systems. The Miata is used as the corporate performance brand and contributes to the overall brand ID while the Subaru brand ID is more related to 4 wheel drive and safety. This category, as a whole, in order to be supported by a profit making venture, needs to provide more to the corporation than its volume would dictate. But then again, I'm talking about corporate management theory here and not necessarily about inside information I don't have. So we'll see.

I'm still buying the BRZ because it is a very good car that fits my psychological needs. I like the way it drives. I like the way it looks. It is a boatload of fun. And it brings me back to my illogical love of true sports cars. Now take that!!!!
It does not matter what Subaru parts were shared in the past. The 2017 Impreza is built on the platform that the whole Subaru line up will be using by 2020. That is an actual statement by Subaru on the real Subaru website. This will mean that either the BRZ will transfer to that platform or die. If it gets the 2.4 engine and changes to that platform it will be a whole different car than it is now and will be a BRZ in name only.

Sales numbers are meaningless in these cars. They said right from the start they were not looking to sell piles of them. They plan what they want to make and sell them all and that is all they care about. They were never looking for "appliance" vehicle sales numbers on these so are not disappointed that they didn't get them. Unless somebody can show pictures of fields full of built but unsold (a la Pontiac Aztecs) cars then we have to assume they don't care about the numbers.
rvoll (04-05-2018), Tristor (04-06-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #20
jeffchap

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven 6MT
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Forget a 2.4l boxer. Why can't we just get the FA20F they're already putting into the WRX?

Last edited by jeffchap; 04-05-2018 at 02:55 PM.
jeffchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:04 PM   #21
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
A little rabbit told me last Sunday that Santa Claus started working on a new sled due out in 2021. The fact that these development projects almost always take a lot longer than expected is not important.... Rumor has it that the sled has a lower center of gravity (but still flies) and wider runners. We're now up to 16 reindeer and better reins for more accurate control.
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rvoll For This Useful Post:
spike021 (04-05-2018), Tcoat (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 01:04 PM   #22
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
Forget a 2.4l boxer. Why can't we just get the FA20T they're already putting into the WRX?
Pretty sure it doesn't fit properly in our engine bay.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #23
Tcoat

Quote:
A little rabbit told me last Sunday that Santa Claus started working on a new sled due out in 2021. The fact that these development projects almost always take a lot longer than expected is not important.... Rumor has it that the sled has a lower center of gravity (but still flies) and wider runners. We're now up to 16 reindeer and better reins for more accurate control.
And carbon fiber bells for weight reduction!
rvoll (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #24
jeffchap

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Pretty sure it doesn't fit properly in our engine bay.

Quite a few aftermarket companies have managed to make it work. They could start by eliminating the stupid sound generator, as I did.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:17 PM   #25
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
Forget a 2.4l boxer. Why can't we just get the FA20T they're already putting into the WRX?
Because they set out to build an NA car.
They asked people what they wanted and they said NA.
They never pretend, implied, insinuated, hinted or any thing else that they would ever have anything but an NA.
acro (04-05-2018), spike021 (04-05-2018), Tristor (04-06-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 01:18 PM   #26
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
The Miata really doesn't share much with the other Mazdas besides the engine, and even then they're as different as the FA20D and FA20F.
The tranny is longitudinal, all other Mazdas are FWD
The Miata is the only one apart from the Mazda2 with 4 lug hubs, so the brakes are bespoke
The Miata is the only one with double A arms all around. Bespoke suspension
Steering is unique cause it's the only one that's got front steering hubs.

The BRZ shares much more important bits (most importantly for cost and scaling: the chassis) with the WRX than the Miata does with any current Mazda. Taking the 4WD out is trivial when you're using a different gearbox anyway.

Quote:

Completely agree there. The BRZ isn't for many people, but boy does it fit my personality in a car. And I'm so happy that it looks like it will live on.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Tristor (04-06-2018), WolfpackS2k (04-18-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 02:51 PM   #27
jeffchap

Garage
Quote:
Because they set out to build an NA car.
They asked people what they wanted and they said NA.
They never pretend, implied, insinuated, hinted or any thing else that they would ever have anything but an NA.

So basically, the same thing I tell my kids, ie. "Because I said so".

I have no problem with NA, in fact I prefer it. But 40-50 more NA hp and ft/lbs sure would be nice.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #28
trippinbillies40

Drives: '22 WRB
Thanked 1,213 Times in 400 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
It does not matter what Subaru parts were shared in the past. The 2017 Impreza is built on the platform that the whole Subaru line up will be using by 2020. That is an actual statement by Subaru on the real Subaru website. This will mean that either the BRZ will transfer to that platform or die. If it gets the 2.4 engine and changes to that platform it will be a whole different car than it is now and will be a BRZ in name only.

Sales numbers are meaningless in these cars. They said right from the start they were not looking to sell piles of them. They plan what they want to make and sell them all and that is all they care about. They were never looking for "appliance" vehicle sales numbers on these so are not disappointed that they didn't get them. Unless somebody can show pictures of fields full of built but unsold (a la Pontiac Aztecs) cars then we have to assume they don't care about the numbers.
I believe that's incorrect. I'm pretty sure next gen BRZ will not be on the SGP.
trippinbillies40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trippinbillies40 For This Useful Post:
rvoll (04-06-2018), Tcoat (04-05-2018)