follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #15
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
More 86s' have been sold in the last year than Miata's in the past 4 years combined or any 3 year stretch of the S2000:

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...s-figures.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_S...and_production
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10766

The 86 could very well be considered a "dime a dozen" car at this point. Yeah there were double and quadruple the number of Integras sold per year than the 86 but who can mistake those four circular headlights? There's no such feature on the 86, I maintain that in terms of timelessness and staying power the 86 is above average at best. When's the last time you mistook an RX8 or Miata or Mustang for anything other than what they are?
For the most part, I agree with you, but with one exception: the Miata to me seems like a very generic small 2 seat convertible. Yes, I can recognize them, but I don't think they have near the uniqueness for the general public that a Viper, Mustang, or Porsche 911 (or, hell, a VW Beetle for that matter) has.

And dem00n: that looks like a pretty darn generic older small car to me (yes, I do know what it is, but that's not the point).
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisl For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #16
nycfl123

Drives: raven frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
honestly I'd be embarrassed to be seen in a mustang unless it was 60's. I want to like them but just can't. I can almost deal with a vette now but again american muscle just has the worst image in my mind.
nycfl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #17
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,469 Times in 4,992 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfl123 View Post
honestly I'd be embarrassed to be seen in a mustang unless it was 60's. I want to like them but just can't. I can almost deal with a vette now but again american muscle just has the worst image in my mind.
There's thousands who would say the same about your piece of underpowered jap crap and the ricer crowd, to each their own is very relevant in most hobbies.

:happy0180:

Relevant to @PabloN there's a red Mustang 5.0 convertible in my area that is the most unique car I've seen for the past few months, beats the snot out of the cobra kit or extremely clean 4th gen celica or the dozens of Tesla's I've seen this week when it comes to visually interesting.

Also in love with the Mercedes down the road from me:
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #18
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaHyperion View Post
Taking deliver of your car in Colorado sure teaches you how to properly use all your gears to pass in this car, that's for sure. It was a hell of a change of pace from a few years of owning LSx motors with "4th gear is for everything".
That was how I felt the drive up to Jackson WY this past weekend, especially this stretch:
http://goo.gl/maps/AEB8L

Many times it was really a matter of maintaining momentum properly. I only found myself using 4th to pass at highway speeds if I had more than one car to pass in one shot.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #19
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,879 Times in 2,024 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
There's thousands who would say the same about your piece of underpowered jap crap and the ricer crowd, to each their own is very relevant in most hobbies.
Hilarious foreshadowing for this:

Quote:
Relevant to @PabloN there's a red Mustang 5.0 convertible in my area that is the most unique car I've seen for the past few months, beats the snot out of the cobra kit or extremely clean 4th gen celica or the dozens of Tesla's I've seen this week when it comes to visually interesting.

UNIQUE?! For one thing, they sold about a gazillion of those. I like them OK for what they are, but works of art, they ain't (and the interior is even uglier). A brick-red brick-shaped object doesn't seem particularly unique anyway.

For another, despite a 5.0 liter V8 and not being particularly heavy (~3200 lb), a '90 Mustang GT is only about as quick, on a good day, as an FR-S/BRZ with a 2.0 liter I-4.
ZDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #20
lickitysplit
Don't care

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Quote:
More 86s' have been sold in the last year than Miata's in the past 4 years combined or any 3 year stretch of the S2000:

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...s-figures.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_S...and_production
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10766

The 86 could very well be considered a "dime a dozen" car at this point. Yeah there were double and quadruple the number of Integras sold per year than the 86 but who can mistake those four circular headlights? There's no such feature on the 86, I maintain that in terms of timelessness and staying power the 86 is above average at best. When's the last time you mistook an RX8 or Miata or Mustang for anything other than what they are?
however that may be the case, I was more leaning towards the cars still being produced. for example the first month the camaro was available in 2010 it sold more than 30k cars. theres an entire year of the FRS/BRZ, and that was only the first month. Same goes for the mustang.
lickitysplit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lickitysplit For This Useful Post:
DMDominator (09-12-2013), strat61caster (09-11-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #21
zooki

Drives: waiting on a 2021...
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

HEY! I think,I saw Vanilla Ice driving that car...like you said, "unique".
LOL
1999 Ford F250 Powerstroke, the tow rig
1969 Mustang, the fast car....(:
zooki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zooki For This Useful Post:
DMDominator (09-12-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #22
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaHyperion View Post
Just made that drive about 10 days ago myself.

6th gear is a blast at 12,000ft, ain't it? Pedal to the floor and you slow down.

5th gear keeps your steady at highway speeds if you're lucky.

Taking deliver of your car in Colorado sure teaches you how to properly use all your gears to pass in this car, that's for sure. It was a hell of a change of pace from a few years of owning LSx motors with "4th gear is for everything".

That drive south of Montrose all the way down through Silverton to Durango is fucking awesome though. You're gonna love it. Make sure you pull off at Ridgway State Park (about 20 miles south of Montrose) at the Visitor's Center and take the trail out past the teepee to overlook the lake.

My link looking over the lake is dead (FT86Club killed my site bandwidth) but I got this one hosted elsewhere from Ridgway facing the other way:
Nice pic.. beautiful country.. I recognize your name from the corvetteforum.. Been a member there since 99 when I got my first vette..
until I sold my 4th one recently and got into a FRS..
Fun cars.. lacking the brute force of the LS3.. but more enjoyable overall
to drive. Its nice being able to hold the go pedal down and wrap it out for more than 4 seconds.. also think its more nimble without the fat tires..
but I do miss that endless linear torque curve..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:35 AM   #23
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,776 Times in 16,409 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooki View Post
So I'm on an extended road trip for my vacation.........
Good to see someone else is out enjoying driving his car ..... as opposed to just "looking" at it ....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
bcj (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 01:38 AM   #24
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,776 Times in 16,409 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloN View Post
We just got back from a 3200 mile road trip to Colorado via Badlands and Black Hills...
Good on ya, PabloN .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
PabloN (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #25
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Hilarious foreshadowing for this:

UNIQUE?! For one thing, they sold about a gazillion of those. I like them OK for what they are, but works of art, they ain't (and the interior is even uglier). A brick-red brick-shaped object doesn't seem particularly unique anyway.

For another, despite a 5.0 liter V8 and not being particularly heavy (~3200 lb), a '90 Mustang GT is only about as quick, on a good day, as an FR-S/BRZ with a 2.0 liter I-4.
When's the last time you saw one in good condition? I've only seen the one. Where did I say they were a "work of art"? All I meant is that today, if I walk through the parking lot that's going to grab the eye (for better or worse) more than the 86 which looks like every other jelly bean sold in the last 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lickitysplit View Post
however that may be the case, I was more leaning towards the cars still being produced. for example the first month the camaro was available in 2010 it sold more than 30k cars. theres an entire year of the FRS/BRZ, and that was only the first month. Same goes for the mustang.
True that the muscle cars are being produced in much larger volumes, small light Japanese sports cars are niche so those are the numbers I pulled up. Not sure why they don't sell like they used to (for instance that first generation RX7 posted above sold over 800k for a 6 year period, same weight as the FRS with half the HP so it wasn't performance) but if there was the demand there would be enough produced. In any case worldwide the target is 100k units/year, hardly rare in my opinion.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/19/s...-86-and-scion/
Old 09-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #26
zaptorque

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Quote:
Good review. Clarkson doesn't "hate" the look of this car, it's just an uninteresting sports coupe that will fade away like the 240sx, 1st/2nd RX7s, S2000, and a host of other cars that pass by without notice. Honestly almost regret getting the dark gray, it blends in too well, I couldn't imagine owning black white or silver of this car, the only thing more beige would have been beige. I told a co-worker I had one and he didn't believe me, said he'd only seen the Rally Blue and white despite me parking here for three months.

Don't get me wrong, it looks good, just not great. It will always be desirable but credit where it's due, the Mustang, Miata, Camarao, Challenger, and RX8 are all much more striking and leave an impression that an 86 just can't match for equivalent prices, performance and availability.

It looks great on the open road and pulling into an empty gas station (which seem to be the common factors in getting compliments) but when you're walking through the parking lot or in traffic the 86 blends in unless it's bright red blue or orange.

Sorry I have to get that rant out every once and awhile with everyone fawning over what I think are relatively unimpressive aesthetics. Like I said, good, very good even, but not great.

Personally, I find the rx-8 and miata pretty meh. The newer Mx5's aren't terrible looking, but the lines on the 86 make the car look so much sleeker.

Also, I don't know if you can compare the looks of American muscle cars to a little Japanese sports car - apples to oranges.
zaptorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #27
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaptorque View Post
Also, I don't know if you can compare the looks of American muscle cars to a little Japanese sports car - apples to oranges.
I was talking about how eye catching they were, yes apples to oranges in terms of styling but in terms of what you NOTICE on the road, the 86 blends in while all the cars I mentioned jump out at you.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #28
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
I was talking about how eye catching they were, yes apples to oranges in terms of styling but in terms of what you NOTICE on the road, the 86 blends in while all the cars I mentioned jump out at you.
That mustang jumps out at you as being anything other than an old hunk of junk? Really?
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote