follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #29
DieDriving
I aint no snitch

Drives: 330i, C300, "00 lude, "94 Accord
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'll take it off your hand....seriously....
DieDriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #30
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCreamMan View Post
First off, I am not a First 86 winner, however I was the first regular joe to put down a deposit at this particular dealership.

I just got a text from the salesman at the Toyota/Scion dealership I have my deposit at and he tells me they will have my FR-S by the end of the month, possibly within a week!!

Now onto the bad news.... its an Aquamarine (which was one of the three colors I had narrowed my choices to)...... 6AT (which immediately made my boner limp again).

Texting him back and forth, he tells me there are no more cars coming in and that no manuals have been released to the region. But here's the real kicker..... He tells me that if I don't take this one, my deposit is going to be refunded and that I will lose my spot in line Right now I'm pretty pissed off at this. I will certainly go test drive the car when it comes in, but unless I'm just super floored by it, I can't see myself buying the 6AT.

What do you guys think?
He just did you a favor!! On to the next! :happy0180:
Old 05-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #31
brzmass12

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceywilly View Post
yeah just have them trade it with another dealer. Not sure what it's like around there but I talked to a dealership here last week and he said they are getting 5 in the first shipment and only 3 are sold, so if you look around your area you could probably find a dealer that is getting something you want and have them trade it to your dealer for the one you don't want.
Would this happen to be Patrick Subaru in Mass?
brzmass12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #32
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
No this was Boch Toyota. I preordered my BRZ from Patrick but haven't heard about their allocations.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #33
SoCal_86
テック

Drives: 85 Toyota Corolla GTS 13 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree fingers View Post
Drive it, and if it isn't what you're looking for, walk. It's worse to buy the wrong car than to wait a little more for the right one.
+1
Old 05-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #34
IceCreamMan
Decepticon

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Asphalt 6MT)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I appreciate the replies guys. I will probably stop by in person to the dealership at some point this week to talk to the management. Call me weird, but I just hate talking to people over the phone.

I probably will at least test drive the car (just so that I can sit in it and check everything else out) and even see if the 6AT lives up to all the praise. The only way I would even remotely consider buying one is without the $1200 increase over the 6MT price. It will be at least a week before this Ultramarine 6AT comes in (I think I called it Aquamarine before, doh!) so things may change. Definately not going to give it to what I really want without considerations. The car I have now is paid off and just had all the body work redone to increase its resell/trade in value so even if I have to keep it for a while I'm not complaining.

My main gripe is that I'm having to give up my spot. He said he didn't want my money to be tied up if they didn't have the car for me..... Well my money has been tied up for 2 months now just about so I don't see why it can't wait a little longer haha.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #35
KevinDuMa

Drives: 2004 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Don't do it....what I've learned is you can't rush into a buying a car especially if it's not exactly what you want. Another thing is the Fr-S isn't even going to be limited production so just wait it out a couple of months and you'll more likely get one at least in standard transmission. Unless you're absolutely dying to be first on the block with one.
KevinDuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #36
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I was just thinking... getting it and regretting it may become a $26k mistake (along with the other fees), but considering the demand, you could just sell it and possibly get a decent amount of that back while having at least tried the car out for a bit, whether a few weeks or a few months.

As we all know, Scions are pure pricing, meaning that their MSRP cannot be altered by the dealership, but that applies to new ones. Used ones are sold at whatever they want to charge, which can sometimes be higher than brand new MSRP if they feel like it, especially if the car is in high demand, so they can at least profit more than they would from selling a new one. That is allowed, and I think some customers can be talked into it if they want it that bad, especially since certified pre-owned Toyotas get an improved powertrain warranty of 7 year/100,000 miles (up from the standard 5 year/60,000 mile warranty on new cars), so that is one of the upsides.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #37
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Are Scion dealers really able to place and receive orders based on customer configuration preferences? I thought they just note it down on a waiting list and whatever arrives from shipment is purely luck of the draw.

I'm guessing this dealer recently found out that their entire allotment won't include your #1 choice. They're pressuring you to buy whatever they will have (just to make a sale) which is quite a stretch from what you originally wanted. I'd avoid doing business with them and chase my #1 color and #1 transmission. But that's just me.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #38
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
People need to stop saying Scion cannot go past MSRP. They can sell for whatever they want as long as the price is listed on the dealership menu and applies to all of them.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fistpoint For This Useful Post:
kwood9000 (05-14-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #39
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Are Scion dealers really able to place and receive orders based on customer configuration preferences? I thought they just note it down on a waiting list and whatever arrives from shipment is purely luck of the draw.
Having worked at a Toyota dealership myself years ago, from what I remember, it is the dealership who orders more or less what they want (quantity, colors, packages, etc.), usually catering to their demographic. For example, Sterling BMW in Newport Beach a few miles away from my office very rarely has a car that isn't fully loaded, since the common BMW buyer wants all of the bells and whistles and can afford it. Different BMW dealerships, such as the one in Bakersfield where the father of my assistant works, likely stocks up on lower-priced variants that have fewer options.

It's likely that the customer isn't getting the opportunity to sit down with someone from the dealership to order the exact one that they want. The dealership can probably order one just like that, and I'm sure that sometimes they do, but they usually don't wait for one specific customer's request. They'll just order a bunch, and if they get one that matches what you wanted, then they will offer it to you. The reason for this is likely because it's not THAT customized, plus at that price point for this kind of car, it's very possible that you can just find it elsewhere (maybe not now since it's new but it's possible) or would likely do that over waiting however many weeks or months for your model to reach the dealership. Or maybe they'll do a dealer trade if they find another dealership in their network with your exact car on their lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
People need to stop saying Scion cannot go past MSRP. They can sell for whatever they want as long as the price is listed on the dealership menu and applies to all of them.
That's not exactly true. I worked at a Toyota dealership, and they explained it to me, assuming that the rules for Scion have not changed in the past five years (which they could have, but if they did, then enlighten me). But that's not to say that they don't figure out ways to get around it... i.e. adding non-Scion/TRD wheels at whatever price they want, which is non-negotiable because the price that they set, even if it has aftermarket equipment, must remain the same.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #40
Brian S

Drives: Hinda Civic
If you want a M/T then get the manual dont ever purchase a car because you feel you lost control over the situation. Personally I can not see getting this car in A/T as I just dont think this car was designed for it. Get your deposit back and go to another Toyota or try a Subaru in M/T. You will regret getting this car if your true desire is to get a manual with this car and I really cant express this enough.

I also want to clarify this is nothing against someone who wants an A/T to begin with but if your heart is in the manual then get the manual and dont cave into their poor salesmanship. All they want is to sell you a car as fast as possible so they can collect a fat paycheck.
Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #41
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Don't play their game, wait until you get the car you really want. It's a lot of money to have to settle on something just because you are worried about a spot in a queue. There will be lots of these cars available don't let them make you think otherwise... They are salesmen they know how to play mind games with you.
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:36 AM   #42
bigbird83
Future Owner

Drives: Honda Accord Coupe
If you don't want the AT don't take it. Who cares if you get the car first if it's not the one ya want. Wait till the 6m is available.

04 Accord Coupe V6 6m
bigbird83 is offline   Reply With Quote