follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2021, 08:23 PM   #43
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Old 01-24-2021, 03:01 AM   #44
dpfarr

Drives: BRZ ts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Some education:
There is a difference between healthy trees and forests to dead ones.

So "part" of the reason we have gotten into this problem..again partly, is because environmentalists WILL NOT distinguish. Well known groups try to skirt around it. So when they say absolutely no logging in state forest and parks I am for that to an extent. Massive storm blew down numerous trees in the Boundary Water Canoe Area in Mn(fastest warming area in the US per data) and they left them! So then 10+ years later guess what!? Lightening strike lit it up like kindling. So here, we could have harvested the wood and made money, kept some loggers busy, and provided a fuel source...and now we are potentially costing ourselves more loss of trees.

Also, Montana and Idaho each have larger loss of timber do to wild fires than California with 1/10th the fire fighting budget.

* The more you know.
You ever start writing a response and think “I don’t even know this person on the internet...”
dpfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpfarr For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 05:18 PM   #45
Irace86.2.0

Old 01-24-2021, 06:41 PM   #46
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,339 Times in 4,125 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post

Thanks for the clip.

I have a couple of minor issues with this clip.

When a title says "The truth about..." it raises alarms with me. The title is suggesting that this article is the only interpretation needed.
Also, popular media often presents as facts the results of studies that do not give a either/or outcome. The following is a made up example:
The media says that regular low dose asprin can reduce the risk of heart attack by 80%. The studies are 200 GB in size and has been reduced to one throw away sentence in an news article without explaining how that 80% figure was derived.
I am suggesting "The truth about..." has become a trope.

Also, in the clip it is suggested that binding carbon in cement is a possible method of storage. The clip fails to mention it would seem we are running out of sand which hardly gets mentioned.

The world is running out of sand
The world is facing a global sand crisis

Given the permafrost has begun to thaw I'm thinking we have already reached tipping point.

I am not suggesting the clip was bad, just that it needed tweaking to get my gold star of approval.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Spuds (01-24-2021), Ultramaroon (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 09:22 PM   #47
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Expanding on my above comment about media reporting consider the following the statements. These statements are used to illustrate my point and are not from news articles.

"97% of the population believe in UFOs*"
"In a recent survey 97% of respondents said they believe in UFOs"
"According to the survey carried out by Dr. John Smith 97% of respondents said they believed in UFOs." The survey details the methodology used and how the conclusion was reached. The paper details the survey of 1000 people was carried out in front of the UFO Convention of 2015.

All of these reports are "correct", but the inference made is completely different. I am suggesting most people aren't interested in details, just headlines to talk about something over breakfast.

*I use the term UFO in its "aliens are among us" usage, not the literal meaning of the term.

The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Spuds (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 09:24 PM   #48
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Thanks for the clip.

I have a couple of minor issues with this clip.

When a title says "The truth about..." it raises alarms with me. The title is suggesting that this article is the only interpretation needed.
Also, popular media often presents as facts the results of studies that do not give a either/or outcome. The following is a made up example:
The media says that regular low dose asprin can reduce the risk of heart attack by 80%. The studies are 200 GB in size and has been reduced to one throw away sentence in an news article without explaining how that 80% figure was derived.
I am suggesting "The truth about..." has become a trope.

Also, in the clip it is suggested that binding carbon in cement is a possible method of storage. The clip fails to mention it would seem we are running out of sand which hardly gets mentioned.

The world is running out of sand
The world is facing a global sand crisis

Given the permafrost has begun to thaw I'm thinking we have already reached tipping point.

I am not suggesting the clip was bad, just that it needed tweaking to get my gold star of approval.
The title was more of a grabber. I posted it to illustrate the different technologies and uses for capturing and captured CO2, respectively. The carbon can be sequestered into pellets that can be used for many products, so the process wouldn't depend on cement.

I agree that we could have reached a tipping point that initiates a cascade of reactions that are feed-forward reactions making things exponentially get worse. If we haven't gotten to that point then we could reverse the process given enough investment and interest. In fact, it is possible to remove too much CO2 from the atmosphere, but that would likely not be a concern for a long time if ever.
Captain Snooze (01-24-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 09:54 AM   #49
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
https://www.heritage.org/environment...e-change-money

Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:44 AM   #50
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
I never really understood these articles or this line of reason. It is almost like the author is confusing the difference between war profiteering and the existence of a war, or worse, he seems to not understand that a war costs money. In the same way, if we identified a threat and preventing that threat costs money then there will be funding. There could be an asteroid barreling down on the planet, and this guy would think scientists are out to make a fortune on the lucrative business of government grants, while lamenting how the government is wasting money on a digging team and rocket from NASA.

Look, start with the premise that climate change is real and is a threat to our existence then what would you expect to see? Would it make sense that the government would invest more in understanding the threat? Would it make sense that the government would invest in ways to reduce the threat? Would it make sense that some industries would be created and other industries, that are causing harm, would be phased out? This is the same playbook for any problem needing to be solved from a war to this pandemic, or to use one of the article's examples, to wanting to go to the moon. For example, when we began learning that smoking caused cancer, we began taxing nicotine; we removed it from advertisements on TV; we increased spending in research on emerging alternatives like vaping; we learned 2nd hand smoke was bad and passed regulations prohibiting smoking indoors; we invested in smoking avoidance programs; we created more programs to help addicts quit. Follow the money. Clearly scientists just wanted grants to get rich because scientists are out to be rich, and governments just wanted to tax cigarette companies and buyers to better abuse their power and pad their pockets.

Are you trying to say all shifts in money are inherently bad?
Old 01-26-2021, 03:28 AM   #51
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
I never really understood these articles or this line of reason.........
My biggest criticism of this article is there are no sources. I have no idea if there is any basis to his claims or not. An article like this (imo) could be about anything. Cutting down trees is good, cutting down trees is bad, raising taxes is good, raising taxes is bad. It makes no difference if one is just venting an opinion which this reads like to me.

From the article:
"That didn’t include the tax subsidies that provide a 30 percent tax credit for wind and solar power —so add to those numbers about $8 billion to $10 billion a year."
Where did those numbers come from? I have no idea. They are random numbers in my view because I have no idea about the accuracy about what he is claiming.

In summing up (3+2+8= ) it reads like a piece intended for a particular audience.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (01-26-2021), soundman98 (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 10:33 AM   #52
Impureclient
Banned

This is all the same exact issue of arguing politics, religion, 2nd Amdt, the same issues that nobody ever agrees upon.
Everybody mostly has decided what they believe and putting up articles by scientists that stand to get their funding by
whatever comes out their mouths is exactly what you'd expect to come out.
The Earth supposedly is going through heat and cool cycles for billions of years(we're supposed to believe that because scientists said so)
and now they say this one is a little different(because they said so) and they need more money to fix it. In my line of work it's best for
everybody to install the best possible material and what do you know...it just so happens that I make the most money installing that.
It's better for the environment, better for the longevity of the product, better looking, and many more positives with the only negative
being that it costs more. I like money too. Everything a human does is done to get more money. Al Gore is a perfect example of the
hypocrisy of this entire subject. Give me all the money because the sky is falling and meanwhile I'll suck the teets of the Earth dry
with my energy sucking mansion.

Another good example:
We're all going to DIE....show me the money!
https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamand...h=1575e86f386f
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-26-2021), soundman98 (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 03:53 PM   #53
dpfarr

Drives: BRZ ts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It seems a peculiar phenomena that there is the “follow the money” in respect to scientific consensus. I’ll give you a long list of people from my university, their colleagues locally and around the world and will be hard pressed to find a corporate buyout that’s influenced research. I don’t know who these wealthy scientists are, but we all want to know how to get on that gravy train.
dpfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dpfarr For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (01-26-2021), Spuds (01-26-2021), Ultramaroon (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 05:58 PM   #54
Impureclient
Banned

Poor scientist? Follow his lead: https://financialpost.com/news/how-a...dential-defeat
Old 01-26-2021, 06:51 PM   #55
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
This is all the same exact issue of arguing politics, religion, 2nd Amdt, the same issues that nobody ever agrees upon.
Everybody mostly has decided what they believe and putting up articles by scientists that stand to get their funding by
whatever comes out their mouths is exactly what you'd expect to come out.
The Earth supposedly is going through heat and cool cycles for billions of years(we're supposed to believe that because scientists said so)
and now they say this one is a little different(because they said so) and they need more money to fix it. In my line of work it's best for
everybody to install the best possible material and what do you know...it just so happens that I make the most money installing that.
It's better for the environment, better for the longevity of the product, better looking, and many more positives with the only negative
being that it costs more. I like money too. Everything a human does is done to get more money. Al Gore is a perfect example of the
hypocrisy of this entire subject. Give me all the money because the sky is falling and meanwhile I'll suck the teets of the Earth dry
with my energy sucking mansion.

Another good example:
We're all going to DIE....show me the money!
https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamand...h=1575e86f386f
You do realize Dr Fauci is a physician and a scientist, right? On top of that, he is one of the best in the world. What do you think he should make? He probably could make more money working outside the government.

If you want to follow the money then follow the climate denial propaganda donor train.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:25 PM   #56
Impureclient
Banned

Quote:
He probably could make more money working outside the government.
lol

People don't join politics to help others any more. They do it to line their pockets. Look at the net worths of all the top U.S. politicians these days. Especially how much their piggybanks filled after they were in office and before.
Hard to tell Fauci is one of the best in the World when he has been contradicting and making it up as he went this whole fake pandemic. Humorously enough and related to this all I see that Congresswoman Pelosi just bought
$1M of Tesla stock right before Biden announced plans for a entire fleet of electric vehicles for the government. *Shocked face*

Quote:
climate denial propaganda donor train
Everybody is doing OK on the climate change propaganda train but this is the first I heard of a making money on that train? That train is usually just filled with tax paying passengers who don't want big government stealing even more
loot in exchange for promises to fix made up fairy tales of the Earth dying.

Tags
youguysneedlives