follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List
Clash0901

Old 12-03-2020, 11:43 AM   #169
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I think ceramic coating may strengthen the paint, but it is more like a wax in that it is a hydrophobic coating. Waxes easily are removed, but the nano particles imbed themselves in the film. It may not protect and heal like a film would from rocks and bugs, but it should protect the paint from water spots and bird droppings and tree wax, and it should be simple to clean the car, and it will always look waxed. In an ideal situation, people would get a clear film then get a ceramic coating. Big $$$$
Old 12-03-2020, 01:18 PM   #170
Clash0901
2 ugga dugga's

Drives: Nike
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I think ceramic coating may strengthen the paint, but it is more like a wax in that it is a hydrophobic coating. Waxes easily are removed, but the nano particles imbed themselves in the film. It may not protect and heal like a film would from rocks and bugs, but it should protect the paint from water spots and bird droppings and tree wax, and it should be simple to clean the car, and it will always look waxed. In an ideal situation, people would get a clear film then get a ceramic coating. Big $$$$
Yea I was mainly looking for something that makes the car easier to clean while protecting from the elements and misc things. Not that it wasn't always easy anyway, oem paint and its always garaged so nothing to it really. Usually it's mostly dust on the car heh.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:47 PM   #171
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Such a sweet car...I hope if you sell it, the new owner takes good care of it.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:02 PM   #172
Clash0901
2 ugga dugga's

Order some Mickey's! 275/40r17 ET Street SS. The current NT555R's are okay but I am hoping this spring the Mickey's hook up a touch better. We will see, but I am excited for summer to finally dial in the Motec Traction Control and try to turn the boost up.
Irace86.2.0 (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 07:25 PM   #173
ft86xtc

Drives: 2013 FRS
Doing anything with your suspension or gonna stick to the same setup? Curious to see how you hook up with the mickey's!
ft86xtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:25 AM   #174
Clash0901
2 ugga dugga's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86xtc View Post
Doing anything with your suspension or gonna stick to the same setup? Curious to see how you hook up with the mickey's!
Probably leaving it for now. I asked a few people for suggestions and all I got was generic "spend more money on suspension" type answers. No spring rate suggestions or brand suggestions to be seen.

I will definitely update my findings versus these 2 tires. Won't be for a few more months still though. Michigan is still cold!
Old 02-23-2021, 01:03 PM   #175
Goingnowherefast

Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clash0901 View Post
I think in general I may need better coilovers, i'm running some cheap tein coils right now.
I mostly do road course racing not drag stuff, but I think you'll find benefits going to real actually decent coilovers. You're on the Flex Z or Street Basis Z's right? If so, going to coilovers that have decent damping (you want 2 way adjustable for drag) and better travel will make a massive difference. As far as spring rate goes, I only know what makes you go fast on track, but the same general methodology should apply which is buy coilovers with an easily swappable springs and start testing. Being that you're car is probably much different weight distribution than compared to a stock 86, you'll want to change up spring rates anyways.

As for drag racing alignment, here's where I would start:

Front Toe - Zero Toe
Front Caster - 6-8 Degrees
Front Camber - Near Zero

Rear Camber - Near Zero
Rear Toe - 1/8 - 1/16th total toe-in

Keep in mind, these setting will make the car handle like complete garbage, but that concern is probably long gone for you haha.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:58 PM   #176
Clash0901
2 ugga dugga's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
I mostly do road course racing not drag stuff, but I think you'll find benefits going to real actually decent coilovers. You're on the Flex Z or Street Basis Z's right? If so, going to coilovers that have decent damping (you want 2 way adjustable for drag) and better travel will make a massive difference. As far as spring rate goes, I only know what makes you go fast on track, but the same general methodology should apply which is buy coilovers with an easily swappable springs and start testing. Being that you're car is probably much different weight distribution than compared to a stock 86, you'll want to change up spring rates anyways.

Front Toe - Zero Toe
Front Camber - Near Zero

Rear Camber - Near Zero

Keep in mind, these setting will make the car handle like complete garbage, but that concern is probably long gone for you haha.
That seems really aggressive for front caster and rear camber im going to try around +.5 ish. The rest seem about right. As far as suspension goes, I was told by a lot of people a street car should not have 2 way coilovers. Those are best for tracks that are prepped and the surface is always consistent. On the street, a good 1 way adjustable is actually more forgiving since the surfaces are constantly changing. It makes sense to me, but not sure if that logic is sound to others.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:50 PM   #177
Goingnowherefast

Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
That seems really aggressive for front caster and rear camber im going to try around +.5 ish. The rest seem about right. As far as suspension goes, I was told by a lot of people a street car should not have 2 way coilovers. Those are best for tracks that are prepped and the surface is always consistent. On the street, a good 1 way adjustable is actually more forgiving since the surfaces are constantly changing. It makes sense to me, but not sure if that logic is sound to others.
The problem is a drag car requires much different rebound and compression settings. A one way system adjusts both, but not equally. The reason people say a street car shouldn't have two ways is because 99.9% of people don't know how to tune it correctly. Technically, if both 1 way and two ways have the same compression and rebound force vs. velocity, the ride will be the same. In practice, you'd be able to dial in a better ride on similar pavement with two ways, but again that requires an understanding of rebound and compression tuning.

That being said, all 1 way (or 2 way) coilovers are not equal. Cheap coilovers are cheap for a reason. Poor damping, badly matched spring rates, cheap heavy springs with bad stroke, bad shock travel from two piece coilover designs etc. Even in a street centered drag setup I think there's much to be gained with a good suspension setup. Worth a try, but I would try and figure out what the really high HP drag cars run as far as spring rate goes.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:28 PM   #178
Clash0901
2 ugga dugga's

Quote:
The problem is a drag car requires much different rebound and compression settings. A one way system adjusts both, but not equally. The reason people say a street car shouldn't have two ways is because 99.9% of people don't know how to tune it correctly. Technically, if both 1 way and two ways have the same compression and rebound force vs. velocity, the ride will be the same. In practice, you'd be able to dial in a better ride on similar pavement with two ways, but again that requires an understanding of rebound and compression tuning.

That being said, all 1 way (or 2 way) coilovers are not equal. Cheap coilovers are cheap for a reason. Poor damping, badly matched spring rates, cheap heavy springs with bad stroke, bad shock travel from two piece coilover designs etc. Even in a street centered drag setup I think there's much to be gained with a good suspension setup. Worth a try, but I would try and figure out what the really high HP drag cars run as far as spring rate goes.
Agreed on all points. It's not as easy to get info from people, specifically 86's. Everyone seems to want to keep it a secret or most people don't make them straight line cars. I will eventually get better coil overs, but for now I want to see what tires, a different alignment, and Motec TC can do for me.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:49 AM   #179
Clash0901
2 ugga dugga's

Although it's going to be at least another month before I can try them out, my new tires are here!

First impression is that they will hook up significantly better. Why, you say? They just feel softer and nicer when I press my finger nail into them.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:19 AM   #180
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Front Toe - Zero Toe
Front Camber - Near Zero

Rear Camber - Near Zero

Static alignments for drag cars are tricky. Ideally you want the tires as straight and flat as possible as it squats at launch, without ending up with too much toe later down the track.

I'd probably start at 0 rear toe since it will toe in slightly as it squats. Not sure I'd want toe out at the end of the strip.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:00 PM   #181
beltax90

Drives: 2010 corolla
Thanked 1,798 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I got the car ceramic coated last month and now it's in storage. It's a 5 year coating, i'm not too familiar with how that works but I was told by some friends that it's a good idea to preserve the paint.

Here is a walk around video of the day I picked it up, after ceramic coat was complete which was less than 2 weeks ago.

ALSO! I may or may not be having this listed on Bring a Trailer this spring. For multiple reasons but mainly because the project is essentially done and my ADD is kicking in again so I need to move on to something else. It's hard to say if I will change my mind or not, but if anybody here is interested before it hits BaT please message me. I don't intend to list it anywhere else nor do I intend to list it before spring time.
whoa!
beltax90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:17 PM   #182
Clash0901
2 ugga dugga's

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltax90 View Post
whoa!
whoa what? :P

I'm pretty sure i'm going to keep the car for at least another summer though. Can't justify taking the loss and not sure what can really replace this unique beast!