follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 11-30-2020, 06:17 PM   #29
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
some engine pics from Motortrend
Yep. Looks just like the top of a Subaru engine with the Toyota fuel system.
gymratter (11-30-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 08:17 PM   #30
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Yep. Looks just like the top of a Subaru engine with the Toyota fuel system.
thanks for not quoting all ten pics like everyone else here
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-30-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 08:25 PM   #31
Tcoat

Quote:
I could never understand why people do that.
gymratter (11-30-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 01:10 AM   #32
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
To be clear that is the FA24F they are talking about. Just because it is the same base engine code does not mean it is the SAME engine. Who knows what they changed for internals.
The FA24F has a compression ratio of 10.6:1. That is a huge difference that can not be ignored.
We will know what they can do eventually but saying they did this that or the other thing to the F is almost meaningless.
Sorry, rereading what I wrote, I can see how that is confusing. Sounds more like ramblings that a clear argument.

What I wanted to say is that the FA24F could reasonably hit the values they achieved without having to make dyno manipulations, and I say that based on comparisons to the FA20D's stock power and "reliable" power potential and the FA24F's stock power. I was also saying that power could be even higher on the FA24D when boosted with E85 because of the higher compression, assuming the internals could handle it of course, but I didn't state that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormFalcon View Post
Ah I didn't realize it was different. My point was just that even if that dyno run was exaggerated, it seems reasonable that the engine could be hitting 3-400HP on E85, which in my mind would be enough. I guess we'll just have to wait like 2 years to find out
We don't know what is different besides the D4S and turbo system. We can make a guess, but we don't know. The FA24F comes with more power and torque than the FA24D, but the FA24D comes with higher compression, which has its own risks. What we do know is that the FA20F and FA20D have similarly sized rods, where the WRX/FA20F's rods are slightly larger/reinforced than the 86/FA20D's, and yet, the WRX comes with 268hp and 258tq, which is a lot more than the 86. Interestingly, the specs on the FA20F is not too far off from the Ascent with the FA24F at 260hp and 277tq. It seems like the rods on the FA24F would be similar in size to the WRX's or maybe slightly more reinforced, but according to the link, the guys are saying that the rods are a lot beefier. Does this mean the FA24D's rods will also be a lot beefier? We don't know.

Again, we don't know what is in the FA24D, but it is likely the higher displacement and higher compression means the rods might be reinforced enough that the power potential will be raised compared to the FA20D. I wouldn't be surprised if the car will handle 400-450whp from the 350whp that the FA20D can reliably handle.

Quote:
The FA24F is a low compression, direct injection only, turbo engine. It brings it torque and power on way down low in the rev range and is for all intents and purposes a truck engine.

The FA24? is a high compression, direct and port injection NA engine. It brings it's torque and power in at high revs and should be a very nice sports car engine.

The FA24? should work really well on E85 but looking for 300-400HP out of it with a tune and some bolt on's is very optimistic.

What they can do to the one doesn't mean much when compared to the other.

OH and they were running 22PSI on that heavily modified FA24F to get that 500HP. Try doing that on an engine with a 13.5:1 compression ratio and you will be finding parts of the block and rods for several blocks around you!
I've heard this phrase before, "for all intents and purposes a truck engine." What do you mean? Are you saying that because it has a fast spooling small turbo for low end torque? Does that mean the MKV Supra has a truck engine too because its torque comes on fast down low and fades up top? Does this mean the Accord 2.0T has a truck version of the CTR motor because of the smaller turbo, decrease in horsepower, but increase in low end torque?

Typically a truck motor is heavy like cast iron vs aluminum to keep reliability high and cost down. Typically a truck motor is a low stressed motor by having less aggressive compression, less aggressive cam profiles and less flow to the heads. Typically a truck motor is low revving and high torque, which it achieves through an undersquare design, but even if it is not undersquare, there is a long stroke on the motor.

Let's consider the FA24F now. It has an aluminum block. For a turbocharged car, it has relatively high compression. The engine is undersquare, and at 86mm, the stroke is relatively short for a "truck engine". The motor revs high enough--higher than a truck engine typically would. I wouldn't call it a truck motor. I would just call it a typical passenger car motor--not a sporty car motor or a truck motor. Just saying. Seems like anything that is not a sporty car engine is a truck engine to some.

Oh, and they weren't running a heavily modified motor. Essentially, it was a stock longblock with ARP head studs--no internal upgrades--just bolt-ons. Yes, it had several bolt-ons, but there whole point was to test the limits of the stock block and stock injectors, which is why the upgrades are headers, turbo, FMIC, exhaust, intake, etc. The high compression on the FA24D is not necessarily a deal breaker for turbocharging, which is what I said earlier, that E85 is very good at protecting the motor from pre-ignition. Many people with access to E85 don't drop compression when building the motor when going for 500whp+. Several tuners here say it is not necessary to drop compression, as E85 deals with the issues. This could be true for 13.5:1 too if Toyobaru cleverly engineered the motor or if the larger pistons act as a heat sink or increased the surface area to aid combustion or some wizardry. The big thing will be if they reinforced the rods enough to handle the power. They obviously increased the rod size per this quote below compared to the FA20. They didn't specify if they mean the FA20D or FA20F, but I will assume they mean the FA20F. Regardless, the rod size on the FA20F wasn't too different to the rod size on the FA20D, and the FA20F and FA24F make similar power, so we could see much beefier rods on the FA24D, if we are following the trends. So maybe the engine won't go kaboom.

Quote:
The rods are still J shaped but way beefier
Tcoat (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 04:53 AM   #33
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post

I've heard this phrase before, "for all intents and purposes a truck engine." What do you mean? Are you saying that because it has a fast spooling small turbo for low end torque? Does that mean the MKV Supra has a truck engine too because its torque comes on fast down low and fades up top? Does this mean the Accord 2.0T has a truck version of the CTR motor because of the smaller turbo, decrease in horsepower, but increase in low end torque?

Typically a truck motor is heavy like cast iron vs aluminum to keep reliability high and cost down. Typically a truck motor is a low stressed motor by having less aggressive compression, less aggressive cam profiles and less flow to the heads. Typically a truck motor is low revving and high torque, which it achieves through an undersquare design, but even if it is not undersquare, there is a long stroke on the motor.

Let's consider the FA24F now. It has an aluminum block. For a turbocharged car, it has relatively high compression. The engine is undersquare, and at 86mm, the stroke is relatively short for a "truck engine". The motor revs high enough--higher than a truck engine typically would. I wouldn't call it a truck motor. I would just call it a typical passenger car motor--not a sporty car motor or a truck motor. Just saying. Seems like anything that is not a sporty car engine is a truck engine to some.
It is an engine designed to move a large heavy vehicle. Close enough.
You can bet that the version that goes into the WRX/STI will not be exactly the same.

Depends on how you define "bolt ons" I guess.
I do not consider a completely changed intake system as "bolt on" even if that is how it is attached. Pretty much all that remains stock is the block and basic internals.
FA24DIT OEM Ascent long block w/ ARP head studs
STI drivetrain
FP XR Blue 73HTZ twin scroll ball bearing turbo
Killer B IWG twin scroll header
Invidia J pipe w/ 3" catback
Cobb intake
Cobb FMIC
IBR BRZ intake manifold conversion w/ complete TGV deletes
Stock WRX ecu w/ Cobb AP & SD tuning software
Cobb EBCS
Cobb Flex Fuel kit
Hardwired fuel pump
Nostrum HPFP
Stock injectors
IAG AOS

Last edited by Tcoat; 12-01-2020 at 06:14 AM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Quentin (12-12-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 11:24 AM   #34
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Forced induction is only limited by the wallet and financial sensibility. Anything is possible but is it worth it?
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (12-02-2020), Tcoat (12-01-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 01:40 AM   #35
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
It is an engine designed to move a large heavy vehicle. Close enough.
You can bet that the version that goes into the WRX/STI will not be exactly the same.

Depends on how you define "bolt ons" I guess.
I do not consider a completely changed intake system as "bolt on" even if that is how it is attached. Pretty much all that remains stock is the block and basic internals.
FA24DIT OEM Ascent long block w/ ARP head studs
STI drivetrain
FP XR Blue 73HTZ twin scroll ball bearing turbo
Killer B IWG twin scroll header
Invidia J pipe w/ 3" catback
Cobb intake
Cobb FMIC
IBR BRZ intake manifold conversion w/ complete TGV deletes
Stock WRX ecu w/ Cobb AP & SD tuning software
Cobb EBCS
Cobb Flex Fuel kit
Hardwired fuel pump
Nostrum HPFP
Stock injectors
IAG AOS
I'm just saying I wouldn't discredit it by saying it is a truck engine. Even if that meant something that mattered, it can be tuned and modified like any engine. I've seen turbo diesel trucks run 9's. The Ford Raptor has the Ford GT engine in it with different turbos and other things. The line between a truck motor and a passenger car motor and a sports car motor can be fine, but like I said previously, usually it follows a certain pattern like the below quote about the LS/LT truck motors, specifically the L8T:

Quote:
Rather than allow a "high-strung" small block to fail the HD truck market, the iron block, lack of both stop-start and cylinder deactivation, longer stroke and rod ratio, lower compression, mere 87 Octane requirement, and greater displacement all suggest that the L8T was designed specifically to assuage the HD truck market's concerns.
In the case of the FA24F, it is in a crossover, which is a light duty SUV or heavy duty passenger car, depending on your perspective. The towing capacity is fairly low, and the instruction booklet warns about towing too fast up a grade causing overheating because it really isn't designed for much. The motor is inline with most passenger cars and crossovers in build more than trucks, but again, I'm making a small point that I hear this repeated without much context behind it, and it just doesn't make much sense to me.

Yeah, so bolt-ons are everything that a basic novice with a few tools can add tot he car, which is everything up to things like a turbo or supercharger system. One of the reasons the 2JZ is so famous is because it can handle so much power with just bolt ons; add a larger turbo, larger injectors, larger fuel pump, a boost controller and boost cut controller and a full exhaust and the engine was pumping out 700whp all day long. Stuff that goes beyond bolt ons would be reworking the heads by porting and polishing then flow bench testing the work, or machining the block before installing a stroker kit, etc. Typically when someone is cracking open the longblock, the knowledge set on everything goes up a lot from understanding cam timing, torquing things in sequence, milling things to certain tolerances, matching parts to meet specs, etc. It is an entirely different game.

As to Prime Motoring, what they did was simple bolt ons, and what they demonstrated so far seems to be promising from the perspective only of the FA24F, and hopefully, some of the good news applies to the FA24D. To keep the longblock unmodified is a testament to what this thing can do in the FA24F. I'm sure the FA24D will be impressive in its own way, and I agree that the new STI with their version of the FA24F will be a beast, but I favor the fueling of the FA24D, as I doubt the STI will have D4S and that is really nice for simplicity (adding larger port injectors), longevity/reliability (cleaning the valves) and performance (modulating low duty, while having enough overhead for heavy duty by running large PI and stock/low DI).
Old 12-02-2020, 06:49 AM   #36
falcon_wizard

Drives: BRZ 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
For what it’s worth, I was boosted on a stock block & pump gas up to 9psi, and when I decided to have my engine built, I had asked to maintain the 12.5 comp ratio to keep low end throttle response even if it meant a lower top end at the end. As DD reliability was a key goal for me The builders/tuners indicated they could do it, but strongly advised against it to keep some safety margin, so we ended up going for 10.0 CR. E85 is not readily available in my area, best I have is 94 octane. I think the build ended around 21/22 psi on HB. So it will interesting to see if the R&D on the new gen FA24 will find ways to reliably go beyond milder boost levels on a stock block when E85 is not available. nitro possibly ? However unless the tranny was also beefed up (I am not aware that it has), then that will remain a weaker point once you go beyond that anyway. My sense is that there will be more people that sit perfectly happy with a tune and some bolt ons without FI than on gen 1, and the bolder folks that do go all out, well they will just continue to do so... :-)
falcon_wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to falcon_wizard For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (12-02-2020), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (12-02-2020), Tcoat (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 07:44 AM   #37
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_wizard View Post
For what it’s worth, I was boosted on a stock block & pump gas up to 9psi, and when I decided to have my engine built, I had asked to maintain the 12.5 comp ratio to keep low end throttle response even if it meant a lower top end at the end. As DD reliability was a key goal for me The builders/tuners indicated they could do it, but strongly advised against it to keep some safety margin, so we ended up going for 10.0 CR. E85 is not readily available in my area, best I have is 94 octane. I think the build ended around 21/22 psi on HB. So it will interesting to see if the R&D on the new gen FA24 will find ways to reliably go beyond milder boost levels on a stock block when E85 is not available. nitro possibly ? However unless the tranny was also beefed up (I am not aware that it has), then that will remain a weaker point once you go beyond that anyway. My sense is that there will be more people that sit perfectly happy with a tune and some bolt ons without FI than on gen 1, and the bolder folks that do go all out, well they will just continue to do so... :-)
Though it may have been fairly useless, gen1 "beefed up" the tranny 6th gear for the "additional power gains" in the 2017+ models, which was all of 5 HP. I'd like to guess that with a pretty solid torque increase, they would have had to do some kind of modifications to the current trans.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:34 PM   #38
falcon_wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
Though it may have been fairly useless, gen1 "beefed up" the tranny 6th gear for the "additional power gains" in the 2017+ models, which was all of 5 HP. I'd like to guess that with a pretty solid torque increase, they would have had to do some kind of modifications to the current trans.
It would be great news indeed if it was further beefed up...
Old 12-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #39
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_wizard View Post
It would be great news indeed if it was further beefed up...
No doubt they will have to do something to keep the margin for error about the same but the 2017 "improvements" were far from earth shaking!
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2020, 01:10 PM   #40
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
No doubt they will have to do something to keep the margin for error about the same but the 2017 "improvements" were far from earth shaking!
I agree haha. That's why I have no high expectations yet. The only real conclusion I can make here is that they will definitely modify the current transmission based on the power increase. How? We will see. But the stock tranny was impressive enough for a 200 HP car. Not too unusual, though, as it was used in the MX-5, RX-8, and others that weren't high powered monsters.

Subaru doesn't go crazy with their WRX trans, which has limits at around 400 wtq from what I've read. This isn't significantly different from the limits of our trans, and the wrx has a LOT more torque. Now I know that isn't an apples to apples comparison, it just makes me think that to save on cost, they might have some minimal updates to our trans as it can handle plenty to begin with.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-02-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 06:45 AM   #41
falcon_wizard

Here’s an excerpt from the subaru website that would support your hypothesis...

6-Speed Manual or Automatic with Paddle Shifters

Choose between the control of the standard close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission with short-throw shifter – upgraded for 2022 – or the convenience of the available reengineered 6-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters and downshift rev-matching.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to falcon_wizard For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (12-03-2020), Tcoat (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 11:02 AM   #42
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
whatever do you mean?
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote