follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2019, 01:13 PM   #15
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have this too. There was another thread recently where someone posted a YouTube video, and it definitely seems to be the axle bolt/nut that is causing the issue. Mine got a bit more "audible" after installing my coil-overs last week, but that could also just be the euphoria effect. It only seems to happen on mine when moving from a stop, and happens in both forward and reverse gears.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:05 AM   #16
Seiryuu

Drives: ZC6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hello all, just an update and follow up. I think the clicking/ticking might have became "easier" to set off so it's more frequent. Before, I would have to deliberately try to find it. More similes I can think of is it sounds like something along the lines of a quick shake of a pill bottle (like Tylenol), plastic gear chatter (like that part on a go-pro suction mount), or certain mouse scrolls when you first spin it really fast.

I think I captured it pretty well this time. You should definitely be able hear it the first 10 seconds of this video. It's much more audible in person but you still wouldn't notice it if the stereo is on.

Every time I get the noise is when I tap the gas between 2.5-3k rpm in any gear after cruising for a bit; I tried setting it off above 3k and I don't think I hear anything. So it's only during that initial acceleration or power being put down that it happens; that noise doesn't happen mid-acceleration for example. I don't think it's directly related to the engine but that particular amount of power output from it at that particular RPM causes something in the back to "tilt back" and click... then sets back after I left off the gas and repeats when I step back on again.

I don't notice any loss of response or "lag" in power delivery whenever the noise happens though.

Per suggestions from some of you, I've checked the under-carriage and suspension components for damages and leaks, as well as everything (cables, tabs, tools, etc) in and under the trunk. Nothing. I'm fairly certain it is coming from the lower portion of the rear though. Could it be like a rear suspension mount/bushing or similar parts?

This is starting to be unsettling and I'm just about ready to take it in to the dealership or mechanic but I'm wary of paying diagnostic fee and them not being able to find a problem.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seiryuu For This Useful Post:
JesseG (09-12-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 01:44 PM   #17
Seiryuu

Happy Labor Day, everyone!

Since this hasn't been brought up or considered yet, could it be the differential? Even though the noise is not related to turning.

I have scheduled an appointment with the dealership this week so just want to eliminate as many possibilities as I can to narrow down and avoid stretching the diagnostic fee.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seiryuu For This Useful Post:
JesseG (09-12-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 09:34 PM   #18
Geex

Drives: FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
Happy Labor Day, everyone!

Since this hasn't been brought up or considered yet, could it be the differential? Even though the noise is not related to turning.

I have scheduled an appointment with the dealership this week so just want to eliminate as many possibilities as I can to narrow down and avoid stretching the diagnostic fee.
Any update ?
Geex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:07 PM   #19
Seiryuu

Hello everyone, it's been a long time and today I could finally put this noise to rest. The last two times I took it to the dealer, they said everything is fine and didn't see any issues. First time was inspection for my inquiry, and the second time was just from their standard multi-point inspection after tire rotation. After that, I figured I'll just ignore it since I can't hear it over my music anyway.

I finally had the chance to drive a newer '20 86 and tried to reproduce the noise. 'Lo and Behold, it does make the same noise under the same circumstances. This lead me to believe it's just one of the many odd but benign noises and rattles that this car makes during operation. It's annoying but it's there. I still don't know where it is coming from or why but it's closure enough for me to stop caring.