follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-17-2019, 06:36 AM   #981
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wick View Post
About to buy a 2013 that had the recall done. Called the dealership and they arnt aware but neither have had any come back out of the 15 they have serviced. Should I believe them? Talked to an advisor.
I would pass.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
why? (06-18-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 07:12 AM   #982
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wick View Post
About to buy a 2013 that had the recall done. Called the dealership and they arnt aware but neither have had any come back out of the 15 they have serviced. Should I believe them? Talked to an advisor.
You could always insist as part of the purchase agreement that they drop the pan and check the screen for residual material. That seems to be a good indicator of whether there is an issue or not.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
why? (06-18-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 09:16 AM   #983
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
You could always insist as part of the purchase agreement that they drop the pan and check the screen for residual material. That seems to be a good indicator of whether there is an issue or not.
Or ask for written warranty details in regards to failures linked to the recall.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ka-t_240 For This Useful Post:
why? (06-18-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #984
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
Or ask for written warranty details in regards to failures linked to the recall.
I would do both. The warranty work should have a 12 month warranty (don't remember the mileage). Not sure if that carries over after a sale. I know standard warranty does, but haven't really looked at repair warranties.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
why? (06-18-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #985
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I would do both. The warranty work should have a 12 month warranty (don't remember the mileage). Not sure if that carries over after a sale. I know standard warranty does, but haven't really looked at repair warranties.
Im sure there is fine print anywhere. However, in 11 months if you spin a bearing they'll probably say that is on you before you even pull a pan and look.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ka-t_240 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-17-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 06:51 AM   #986
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
plus, it the motor goes they will just look at the springs and see they look fine (which they will) and say the failure was not from the recall work.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #987
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
It's just how a parts warranty works. The parts that were replaced are covered. If any of the replaced parts did not fail, it is not parts warranty.

At that point it is on the dealer, and they don't want to pay for anything. This is why lawyers exist.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:03 PM   #988
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,093 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
As Maslin said, it's not warranty if the warrantied part isn't the issue. It becomes an argument for workmanship and "good faith" replacement. It took me 2 spun bearings to get them to provide me with a new engine, and that was only after starting this ordeal and getting Toyota Customer Care involved.

Unless you're in California, do not do the recall. There's no benefit unless your valve springs have failed. Since you're debating it, I'd say your valve springs are fine
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #989
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Mercedes is very careful with their wording. Doesn't say a thing about labor, workmanship, etc.
Attached Images

maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:34 PM   #990
hukdizzle

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ (WRB)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Not sure if anyone here has done this but I recently got the recall done on my car. It's a BRZ and I had it done at Eastside Subaru here in Kirkland, WA. I was very apprehensive to have it done but the service advisor was familiar with the failures and assured me that there would be no problems. When this service is done they change the oil so you have fresh oil in the car. I would recommend running it for a bit and then doing an oil change and taking a sample and sending it to Blackstone labs or another reputable oil analysis company. Ask them specifically to look for RTV solids and aluminum particulate in the oil or just tell them you had a recall recently that could cause bearing failure and they should know what to look for. I sent my oil off after 350 miles or so to blackstone and they sent me back a fairly reassuring report. The silicon was slightly high in the oil but not out of spec and there was very little solids in the oil. There was no indication of bearing wear. I intend on sending another here in about 1000 miles at the end of the summer to ensure that it's good to go.

All in all, this could easily save your ass and give you some insurance and evidence if for some reason your car DOES fail due to improper usage of the RTV during the recall.

Last edited by hukdizzle; 06-19-2019 at 08:54 PM.
hukdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hukdizzle For This Useful Post:
caus (07-13-2019), humfrz (06-19-2019), radroach (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 12:37 AM   #991
frs23

Drives: FR-S H Lava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate View Post
I live in California and was able to renew my registration this week without doing the recall. I'm in Los Angeles County. Was this really a thing?
Same here. Just got my reg to go through in San Diego.
If this is going to change, then we need to figure out the optimal time to do the recall --when techs are likely to have enough practice I suppose
frs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:08 PM   #992
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Originally Posted by @ermax

"Most wear on bearings comes from cold starts. I call bs on their theory. Avoiding redline, cold starts and low oil conditions saves bearings but most of all, avoiding blockage from sealant will save bearings".

Note: I brought this over from the registry thread so as not to dilute that thread.

Do you reckon that is just true for the FA20 engine or all engines.

(or did I misunderstand?)

If it's just for the FA20 engine, why is that so? Isn't their enough residual oil on the rod bearings to give sufficient lubrication until the engine builds up enough oil pressure to feed the bearings?

If you figure that's true for all engines, how come I've never had a spun bearing in any of the 40 some vehicles I've had over the past 50 years?

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:13 PM   #993
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Originally Posted by @ermax

"Most wear on bearings comes from cold starts. I call bs on their theory. Avoiding redline, cold starts and low oil conditions saves bearings but most of all, avoiding blockage from sealant will save bearings".

Note: I brought this over from the registry thread so as not to dilute that thread.

Do you reckon that is just true for the FA20 engine or all engines.

If it's just for the FA20 engine, why is that so? Isn't their enough residual oil on the rod bearings to give sufficient lubrication until the engine builds up enough oil pressure to feed the bearings?

If you figure that's true for all engines, how come I've never had a spun bearing in any of the 40 some vehicles I've had over the past 50 years?

humfrz
Someone please someone correct me if I'm wrong:

I think it comes more from the oil not being as viscous when it's cold, vs when it's warm. A thicker oil can cause more cavitation in the oil pump, and pumps less oil through the system.

I was reading an analogy somewhere recently that used a syringe as an example. If you pull the plunger with the tip in water, it's not so hard to fill the cylinder. However, if you were to put the tip in something like syrup, and pull athe plunger at the same speed, it would be significantly harder, and you might even pull the surface of the plunger away from the syrup to create a vacuum, which is cavitation. The point being, less substance is being pulled through the syringe when it's thicker.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:48 PM   #994
aemravan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
In a typical situation (ie: where you don't have oil passage/pick up blockage due to bits and pieces of old silicone) sure, I could see where "most of the wear" on the bearing could come from cold starts. Bearings wear out, thats not unheard of. However, this regular wear isn't going to spin a bearing 5k miles down the road. I daily drive a 213,xxx mile lexus gs400, im sure those bearings are worn compared to new, but hey, they haven't spun

Also, keep in mind the pretty high compression on the FA20. 12.5:1 is a pretty tight squeeze.

With all that said, in all of these cases it isn't the cold start thats killing these motors. Its a shear lack of oil. Thats just a dealers way of trying to talk their way out of covering a shortblock replacement.

Going through doing this recall myself in my garage right now, (if you haven't seen my other thread) I can certainly understand how easy it is to get bits and pieces of this silicone stuck in places they shouldn't be. I am pretty confident that most of the failures are a result of the old silicone bits being left where they shouldnt be vs using too much FIPG when reassembling. I am on my 3rd round of blocking out all the passages after doing a very thorough clean up and am still finding small bits here and there, and with only what? 13-15 hours of labor covered for the ENTIRE recall procedure I can certainly see this step not happening as thorough as it needs with the dealer.
aemravan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aemravan For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-27-2019)

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue